• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off topic but if you are using multiple displays, especially with SLI, you could do some googling around that. I read on EVGA's forum that there are some issues with drivers not throttling the clock speed back correctly at idle. There are workarounds with settings or driver tools to force the correct idle throttling behaviour.

If you run windows 8.1 on SLi then the windows store being open does this , I'm not sure why but close it in task manager and idle temps drop to low 30s. Found this a few weeks ago with my galax cards

HI there

We have EVGA with us today and they are first to provide an update on the GTX970.

If you still feel you have to return your EVGA GTX970 then EVGA will 100% support any return of your product through OCUK.

EVGA do however encourage you to contact them directly before returning your card, as options to step up to GTX980 will be made available but only those in direct contact.

Please contact [email protected] if you have any concerns with your EVGA GTX970 product.

EVGA FTW, never had an issue with them... Ever...

Do feel sorry for the partners / etailers, this is Nvidias mess, they should be cleaning it up...

Look at intel with SATA 2, they just stepped in and said right, send it back.... Nvidia are acting like a small company IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
While still early in the day EVGA may have just gotten themselves a guaranteed customer for my next GPU, its stuff like this that impresses me more then a few MHz difference on a card.

Now C’mon Gigabyte.

Yep come on gigabyte, I had an EVGA 980 before I chopped it in for 970 SLI, now wishing I'd stuck with them! Also lol at your sig :p

if you could, the game looked and played well enough and if i was not looking at the fps i would not know

Just played where the plane crashed (the rescue plane) and most times I was sitting at 120+ fps with a pair of Titans and fully maxed out and occasionally, it dropped to 70 fps but didn't feel it because I am running G-Sync but then I had a 'hitch' if you like that dropped frames to 40 fps, just for a split second and that was noticeable. Was that the same as you got?

Harlequin might have saved for months to get the card. It might be his first new card in years and has made sacrifices in other areas to get it. Who knows but he's upset as are many people here. Can you understand why he might snap back when someone unaffected by it who has a stack of Titans in his mobo does the metaphorical equivalent of patting him on the head while telling him to "calm down dear"?

I completely agree and if there is a serious underlying issue with the 970 he bought, I hope he can return it. I don't see the need to get personal with anyone and if I can help people out, I will. I want to see this issue resolved for those like Harlequin who are having problems and I do hope he can get a refund.

now normal service has been resumed:

yes I work , for a certain retailer who is shutting at least 43 stores... and since they don't give out full time contracts anymore , dropping £350 on a video card is not a cheap endeavour , even more since I have a family. not only £350 for a video card , but the same again for a 4k screen.

ultra sharp movies , high detail gaming , no I don't really play fps - more like RTS (civ , star craft etc) some mmo`s - none of which need 120fps , BUT that doesn't mean I don't play the latest or like the latest `oooh shiny ` games

so what I bought I was lead to believe would be acceptable - and for the most part it is - , but in Warcraft im seeing issues (the game uses 1.6gb at 1080p and over 3gb at 4k, increasing pixel count from at least 2mp to 8mp)

so yes I am somewhat upset - but will more than happily respond in kind when certain comments are aimed my way

HI there

We have EVGA with us today and they are first to provide an update on the GTX970.

If you still feel you have to return your EVGA GTX970 then EVGA will 100% support any return of your product through OCUK.

EVGA do however encourage you to contact them directly before returning your card, as options to step up to GTX980 will be made available but only those in direct contact.

Please contact [email protected] if you have any concerns with your EVGA GTX970 product.

Will you be chatting with other manufacturers, like Gigabyte, Asus, MSI etc and if you do could you please post their response to the situation.....?

Thanks for the update

Last edited by a moderator:
So the end result of all this is that everyone throws more money at Nvidia?

Those guys are absolute geniuses.

Some people will move to AMD. Others will get credit note/refund and wait for 3 series. Some will remember this (insert Telltale text here) in the future when deciding their next purchase.

On the upside, right now, EVGA are freakin awesome are in the lead.

Good news. Lets hope MSI do the same :)

I hope so too. At least I'd like the option. I have an MSI 970, which I bought as part of a medium to longer term upgrade strategy. I did not buy my 970 MSI just to run my current monitors; I was planning to upgrade my monitors to 2 x 1440x2560p or 2 x 4k. But this latest news has raised some concerns for me, and in hindsight I might have gone for a 980 instead. I'm a bit uncertain, and am reading the press releases and analysis on sites like AnandTech.

A quote from AnandTech about all this:

"The error, as NVIDIA explains it, is that in creating the GTX 970 reviewer’s guide, the technical marketing team was unaware of Maxwell’s aforementioned and new “partial disable” capabilities when they filled out the GTX 970 specification table. They were aware that the GTX 970 would have the full 256-bit memory bus, and unaware of the ability to independently disable ROPs they assumed that all 64 ROPs and the full 2MB of L2 cache was similarly available and wrote the specification table accordingly. This error then made it into the final copy of the guide, not getting caught even after being shared around various groups at NVIDIA, with that information finally diffused by press such as ourselves."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

I must say that I find it surprising that Nvidia did not correct the specification table of the cards before it went to press.

Wish I'd gone with EVGA rather than Gigabyte now like I was originally planning. Top service!

Same here. I'm sure Gigabyte added the following after this started:

* Due to standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount.

now normal service has been resumed:

yes I work , for a certain retailer who is shutting at least 43 stores... and since they don't give out full time contracts anymore , dropping £350 on a video card is not a cheap endeavour , even more since I have a family. not only £350 for a video card , but the same again for a 4k screen.

ultra sharp movies , high detail gaming , no I don't really play fps - more like RTS (civ , star craft etc) some mmo`s - none of which need 120fps , BUT that doesn't mean I don't play the latest or like the latest `oooh shiny ` games

so what I bought I was lead to believe would be acceptable - and for the most part it is - , but in Warcraft im seeing issues (the game uses 1.6gb at 1080p and over 3gb at 4k, increasing pixel count from at least 2mp to 8mp)

so yes I am somewhat upset - but will more than happily respond in kind when certain comments are aimed my way

I am far too old and chilled to worry in life and if you want to let off steam at me, that's cool and I can understand your frustration. I guess it isn't an EVGA card you have? That would be sweet if so but other vendors might see an opportunity and follow suit. Money back or an upgrade to a 980 would be a sweet deal.

Just played where the plane crashed (the rescue plane) and most times I was sitting at 120+ fps with a pair of Titans and fully maxed out and occasionally, it dropped to 70 fps but didn't feel it because I am running G-Sync but then I had a 'hitch' if you like that dropped frames to 40 fps, just for a split second and that was noticeable. Was that the same as you got?

sound about right, im at the village where the ww2 bomber is crashed, could be just an sli issue

The answer to this problem is not turning down settings lol.

it might have to be until you get the 380X

our 970s are running out of RAM, so a replacement card that will last has to have more RAM...............we didn't realise this 4 months ago

a refund yes, but it is also stupid to replace these cards for a same performance card that is about to be outgunned in 2 months time

but i worry, if they give you a credit note will they honour it if you decide to keep the card till the 380X comes out ??????????? yea' i doubt it

only Gibbo will know this, this is very important

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom