• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
sound about right, im at the village where the ww2 bomber is crashed

Yer, I have not long gone past that (about an hour ahead). Even with that hitch, it is still one of the best optimised games out and still one of the best looking. That is one game I can run on 3 Titans at 99% usage on all of them, whereas a lot of these newer games really do cripple usage and I am lucky to see 60% on all 3. I have been running on a pair now for a few months, as nVidia drivers have just not been that great for 3 and maybe a lot of the problems we are seeing is down to a lack of QC in the driver department.

I hope it is that anyway and there is no reason why all 4GB can't be used and at an affect of miniscule diminishes when the VRAM goes over 3,5GB.

I watched james Millers AC:U vid and that ran sweet as, with him hitting 3.8GB+, so the heuristics of the 970 are working well in that game.

Seems I cant return my 970's

Hello

The status at the moment is:

Any customer outside 14 day grace period, we will not accept returns on 970’s due to the internet rumours. Until NVIDIA tell us otherwise or it is proven NVIDIA has miss-sold the product under no circumstances must we take an RMA back due to this. Of course if within 14 days no issue that is the law.

OcUK has not advertised ROPS, SMU’s or L2 cache and neither has NVIDIA, if reviewers have done so that is upto them.

We are clear, NVIDIA are clear, until as such it is proven that NVIDIA are not clear we won’t be accepting returns, so we see no fault and until NVIDIA inform us otherwise we won’t be accepting RMA’s based on threads in forums on the internet."

Thats the reply I got. Don't worry, once the guys at ocUK are made aware of the statements from nvidia, and that they have infact made an error in the specs of the 970, im sure things will change.

but in Warcraft im seeing issues (the game uses 1.6gb at 1080p and over 3gb at 4k, increasing pixel count from at least 2mp to 8mp)

What issues? it's probably just the game bud, I run a 2560x1080p monitor via SLI GTX970's and a hex core IB-E i7 clocked at 4.5GHz. I still get FPS dips into the 40s when raiding and with DSR set to 4K it's just not viable when raiding, too much stuff going on.

Fair play EVGA.

As for my new build, think I'll just get a lower tiered card as a stop-gap until we have new cards from both red and green. I'm still on 1080P, so I won't upgrade the monitor until the new cards drop. Coming from a E8400/GTX460 set-up, it will still be a good increase in performance.

HI there

We have EVGA with us today and they are first to provide an update on the GTX970.

If you still feel you have to return your EVGA GTX970 then EVGA will 100% support any return of your product through OCUK.

EVGA do however encourage you to contact them directly before returning your card, as options to step up to GTX980 will be made available but only those in direct contact.

Please contact [email protected] if you have any concerns with your EVGA GTX970 product.

Nice one evga. Thought they would as I saw reports evga Brazil were accepting returns last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
It takes time and I am also trying to sort something internally, patience is the key.

But as has already being said, 970 is stunning and some of the issues people are complaining about are present on all GPU's, including the 980, driver fixes will resolve the issues across all cards.

Are these driver fixes a certainty?

I really like what EVGA are doing. They seem quick to respond to customer concerns. I haven't looked at EVGA graphic cards seriously before, but they are on my short list now.

I have just contacted Inno3d with a nicely worded question.

I will report back for the Inno3d owners when I get back a reply.

To be honest I would pay for the upgrade to a 980 only because I am very peeved with the BS over the last few days from Nvidia and I want to drag out my system for as long as possible while I still have some sight.

However this would only be at the expence of Nvidia and Inno3d.

If I am informed by OCUK however, that they will be out of pocket, then I will think twice.

Brand loyalty is one thing, Retail loyalty is another in my book.

Makes me wonder how EVGA can afford a step-up program in the first place, all those cards that get returned etc, they can't all be sold on as 'B Grade.'
Do they have some special rebate program / terms in place with Nvidia or something? I guess they are Nvidia's biggest client, maybe not? I guess we will never know anyway what really goes on behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Is the 980 really a cost-effective and worthy step up from the 970 though? This is what I'm trying to get my head around. Yes it's a better card, but is it worth the extra? Pretty much everyone was saying a couple of months ago that it wasn't, and that the 970 was the smart choice... but the wind certainly seems to have shifted on that now. The 980 still 'only' has 4GB though, so how much of a future-proofed card is it for 1440p and above? The way things are going, we'll be clamoring for 8GB cards by the end of this year it seems! So, 8GB 290X vs 4GB 980... is there a clear winner here for a 1440p set-up in terms of longevity? Or will we all be jumping on to the 300 series regardless (or an Nvidia 8GB card if they produce one) later this year? Is ANY card bought today actually going to last you longer than a year @ 1440p or greater?

Makes me wonder how EVGA can afford a step-up program in the first place, all those cards that get returned etc, they can't all be sold on as 'B Grade.'
Do they have some special rebate program with Nvidia or something, I guess they are Nvidia's biggest client, maybe not?

Thought Galax or KFA or whatever were their biggest partner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom