• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
even if they get refunded from nvidia there is still the time cost, peoples wages and a few other costs that i dont know about :o

..they still deserve thanks is my point :)

Well judging by the numbers sold and what many are saying the number of people returning cards is going to be relatively small, so even if EVGA do take a hit on refunding these cards they are probably banking on making it back and some on the trade up or good will they will receive.

Even if other manufactures do the same, as the first company to do so it will be in people’s minds when they buy their next GPU, I guarantee they have already sold cards based on that one statement issued less than a few hours ago.

OCUK won't be out of pocket because until they get the nod from Nvidia they won't refund you any way.

We are still waiting unfortunately.

But we can announce already, that we will take back the OcUK branded 970, the one with genuine 970 cooler should customers wish to return, because for us customer is king. We are working on solutions for card owners of other brands. We won't leave you alone, our customers are king. :)

Bear in mind though the 970 is a truly fantastic product and the stuttering issues people are experiencing, many are also experiencing on other GPU's as well, so just driver issues.

drivers don't fix the lies so to speak . mine will be going back if allowed , cant afford to take the risk of will they be fine wont they be fine .. weeks, or months down the line , when games I play are actually require more than 3.5gb vram
I agree, although I still can't figure out what would actually be the next move if I DID get rid of mine... is the 980 worth it, if that 4GB is going to be breached in more and more games as the year goes on? Is the 290X 8GB more of a future proofed card? Or should I just use my old 670 4GB until the 300 series comes out... but will they even offer a 8GB variant? It's a pickle!!

I haven't read all this thread, obviously, so someone may have already raised this, but I don't quite understand why everyone is totally freaking out.

I run 780ti SLI. I game at 1440p currently. I 'only' have a lowly 3gb or VRAM therefore, and I do just fine in every game I've got (including high res texture modded games like skyrim etc etc).

I know if you bought a 970, you're not seemingly getting the advertised 4gb product, which is I agree very wrong and annoying. However, it's only 500mb less, it doesn't make a huuuuuge difference does it? The price and GPU power grunt of the 970 is amazing I think. At half the price nearly of a 980 it has to be a bit gimped in some way.

Or, have I completely got it wrong? Is it the fact that some games cache GPU mem and use as much as possible (I know tiitanfall does this), and therefore if it tries to use all 4gb you run into severe stuttering and issues? If this is the case, then it is a big old cluster****.
Actually if the 970 was a card with 3.5GB of vram and proper 256-bit bus, it would be proper be great and people wouldn't have the stuttering problem so badly. The issue with the current 970 "4GB", while the the false advertised 64 ROPS being only 56ROPS isn't that big of an issue, the memory bus and bandwidth due to the odd ways of how the vram are addressed. It seem to split into 224-bit for the 3.5GB, and 32-bit for the 512MB, and when the 512MB part of the memory is accessed, it will drag down the memory bandwidth of the 3.5GB part of the memory as well.

Because of this, a 970 with 3.5GB on a proper 256-bit bus would had been likely a superior, faster and trouble-free card comparing to the 970 "4GB" card we got right now. However for the sake call it a "4GB card" to not sell themself short comparing to the 290 series, they did in a way which caused more problems and performance issues than it's worth.

Really, Nvidia should have just sold the 970 with a proper 256-bit bus with 3.5GB memory and be done with it, not this stitched together memory and memory interface...

Actually think there will be any possibility of Nvidia releasing a GTX965 with proper full 256-bit bus with 3.5GB memory to replace and discontinue the GTX970? Cause the stuttering issue is most likely caused by a hardware design fault rather than one that can truly be solved by drivers alone...

Last edited:

But we can announce already, that we will take back the OcUK branded 970, the one with genuine 970 cooler should customers wish to return, because for us customer is king. We are working on solutions for card owners of other brands. We won't leave you alone, our customers are king. :)

Bear in mind though the 970 is a truly fantastic product and the stuttering issues people are experiencing, many are also experiencing on other GPU's as well, so just driver issues.
That's great news Gibbo. I have this card, although I'm unsure if I should return or not... I'm wondering what you would recommend in its place? Is the 980 worth the extra? Or would an 8GB 290X offer more future proofing? Or just wait for the 300 series? I'm @ 1440p, with a view to going 3440 x 1440 in near future.

:)

Last edited:

Thanks for that Gibbo. That's the main reason why I always buy from ocUK.

I appreciate what you're saying, but it doesn't change the fact that the 970 is now very questionable in its future proofing. If it's experiencing performance drops with high VRAM usage already, then what's it going to be like in a years time, when even higher demanding games are out. The card should still really be a solid performer. It's questionable now though...

I agree, although I still can't figure out what would actually be the next move if I DID get rid of mine... is the 980 worth it, if that 4GB is going to be breached in more and more games as the year goes on? Is the 290X 8GB more of a future proofed card? Or should I just use my old 670 4GB until the 300 series comes out... but will they even offer a 8GB variant? It's a pickle!!

I think if this gest sorted out im just gonna suck up the extra heat and power consumption and dump 2 x 8GB 290x cards in the frigging thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom