• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
The will be sold B-grade at regular B-grade prices, the 970 value is unchanged as its still a great card. Anyone expecting £100 970's are in dream land, not happening any time soon. :)

Get some in for the price of your cheapest 960 and we'll talk ;)

Personally, I wouldn't return them, I'd be a bit hacked off over the whole thing, maybe expect a free game code or something as a sweetener, but at the end of the day they still perform great in 99% of scenarios and you can't do that much better for the money.

Each to their own I guess :)

Not really commented on this, over the top, but I think I've had it with Nvidia now, pretty under handed tactics if you ask me.

I think I would rather have to lower myself to thr fact of walk around my house in just my Y-fronts all night and stick a pair of 290's in my machine.

Matrox it is then.....oops!! :p

Are overclockers going to put a sticky on the graphics card forum about the returns situation at present? Such as evga are offering and yourselfs.

The offerings are getting lost in this thread, also by chance people who have not seen this thread

I reckon the amount of people who will actually return them is fairly slim. I will, as I'm disappointed in Nvidia's response and feel the cards stutter pretty badly at 1440p. However, like anything in today's society, talk is cheap and action is where it matters. Loads will ask for refunds in forums etc, but in the end, I wouldn't be surprised if lots couldn't be bothered and were expecting some sort of discount or upgrade to an 980 (which was always a silly expectation)

Are overclockers going to put a sticky on the graphics card forum about the returns situation at present? Such as evga are offering and yourselfs.

The offerings are getting lost in this thread, also by chance people who have not seen this thread

You don't have to repeat yourself dude.

Well done OCUK :)

Yes and no. Caseking announced yesterday they would take returns, before EVGA or us, and we've being working internally on it, essentially working out how many thousands of pounds it will cost us.

We can soak up the cost on our own brands and EVGA will support us, that is the answer. :)

The big brands, we will need support and awaiting for them to offer it and were also trying to work out the cost involved if they do not, but it takes meetings and more meetings to work out these potential cost and then to have departments ready.

The fact is our RMA department is ready, because preparations were made yesterday, our time to announcement is just slower. :)

I certainly hope the other partners will help, I've always maintained that I would not be happy with anything other then a full refund, but not at the cost of the retailers who should bare none of the responsibility for NVidia's mess.

Will make me seriously consider whether I will return my cards should you get no assistance from Gigabyte/Nvidia, even if you are willing to accept them.

Last edited:
Not many so far to be honest, most customers even in the know love their 970's and for good reason. :)

If I wasnt gaming in 1440 I probably wouldnt be too bothered. Card was great until the latest stuff started using all the vram.

Problem is with gaming you never know what is just around the corner and the requirements of it. All these console ports, where they have loads of memory at disposal, is having a knock on with pc ports.

not sure what to do here, not realy getting any stuttering issues like others cod aw playing fine at 1400p, if i step up to a pair of 980's it going to cost nearly £300 or i can keep them for now and sell them on later and use the £300 towards 8gb cards when they come out, sure second hand prices are going to tank but whats new

Get some in for the price of your cheapest 960 and we'll talk ;)

Personally, I wouldn't return them, I'd be a bit hacked off over the whole thing, maybe expect a free game code or something as a sweetener, but at the end of the day they still perform great in 99% of scenarios and you can't do that much better for the money.

Each to their own I guess :)
We could see a cheap upgrade from 780 sli yet, 3.5gb is better than 3gb.:D

It's a difficult situation as often it's not actually the cards but the lazy PC porting. I review PC games, and for the past few months, the AAA devs haven't made any effort to properly optimize games for PC hardware. The idea that a GPU needs 4GB minimum to run is ridiculous.

I reckon the amount of people who will actually return them is fairly slim. I will, as I'm disappointed in Nvidia's response and feel the cards stutter pretty badly at 1440p. However, like anything in today's society, talk is cheap and action is where it matters. Loads will ask for refunds in forums etc, but in the end, I wouldn't be surprised if lots couldn't be bothered and were expecting some sort of discount or upgrade to an 980 (which was always a silly expectation)

if people were expecting a free upgrade to a 980 for this for compensation then that's deluded.

i personally will keep my card not recommend nvidia products which will lose them tens of thousands from ocuk this year alone.

as a simple gesture to make customers feel better nvidia could have offered something like a game in reimbursement for the troubles issues and many would have been happy.

that would have been the ideal situation for all that keep cards and the others that dont have been catered for.

It's a difficult situation as often it's not actually the cards but the lazy PC porting. I review PC games, and for the past few years, the AAA devs haven't made any effort to properly optimize games for PC hardware. The idea that a GPU needs 4GB minimum to run is ridiculous.

Had to correct that for you, because its getting ridiculous now.

as a simple gesture to make customers feel better nvidia could have offered something like a game in reimbursement for the troubles issues and many would have been happy.

that would have been the ideal situation for all that keep cards and the others that dont have been catered for.

They might still, they have not responded afaik.

Dying Light is a good example, it runs horribly on my 970s and the framedrops/stutter is beyond a joke. However, other press I've spoke to with AMD cards are experiencing even more issues.

I can see 8gb cards being the next big step up as games are already starting to push that 4GB barrier. That's why I would be careful upgrading to a 980 4GB incase the framebuffer becomes an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom