• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not had any of the issues reported when using 1 card (only in SLI) - don't have some of the newer VRAM hogging games though.

So does one return cards and then what? Or pick up a 3rd from B grade :p

Running 4K with SLI 970s atm...

Great CS from OcUK though...

Really? oh that's pretty good then. I've heard of a few problems in terms of frame drops but at least it's working nicely for you :)

well i wouldnt say its a silky smooth game full stop, it always runs 1 cpu core at 100% and when u got chat n stuff running in the background...yeh
not noticed any crazy stuttering, plenty other funny bugs like being able to slide up/thru stairs :)

well i wouldnt say its a silky smooth game full stop, it always runs 1 cpu core at 100% and when u got chat n stuff running in the background...yeh
not noticed any crazy stuttering, plenty other funny bugs like being able to slide up/thru stairs :)

Haha, I'm enjoying the game but for me it's like 120fps, look left, BOOM stutter, 40fps, then 70, like it's all over the place. I've even had moments where it freezes for a little bit then starts again, almost like a 2-3 second hitch.

Haha, I'm enjoying the game but for me it's like 120fps, look left, BOOM stutter, 40fps, then 70, like it's all over the place. I've even had moments where it freezes for a little bit then starts again, almost like a 2-3 second hitch.

dam not good, maybe try lots diff gfx settings, start turning stuff off and see where its happening, sorry if uve tried that alrdy

and if all that fails maybe try single card too

dam not good, maybe try lots diff gfx settings, start turning stuff off and see where its happening, sorry if uve tried that alrdy

and if all that fails maybe try single card too

Yeah, the SLI profile is borked, like the difference between single and dual cards is maybe 3 fps sometimes.

Yes, but the second would suggest the 980 slays the 970. Maybe it's just the way he's worded it, but I find it a bit confusing and contradictory. One quote suggesting the 980 isn't worth upgrading from the 970 for, and the second suggesting the 980 would be a major upgrade. I don't know, perhaps he can clarify.

It was badly worded. The 980 is noticeably faster (15 to 20pc). What Gibbo was saying with the 3pc figure is that's how much of an EXTRA hit the 970 takes when VRAM usage breaks past 3.5gb.

He doesn't mention stuttering though :P

But is that the card causing that or just lazy programmers? Seems a lot of issues raised are coming from people playing ported over console games and not games written specifically for the PC.

I'm not sure what to do. Looking at benchmarks I don't think this whole mess warrants spending another £200+ on upgrading to 980 for the performance difference and from comparing 290X benchmarks to a 970 the 970 is the faster card. So where does that leave people who want an equivalent replacement for the 970?

Last edited:
So the end result of all this is that everyone throws more money at Nvidia?

Those guys are absolute geniuses.

Those are some greedy *******s ... NVIDIA is 100% dedicated to profit ... customer satisfaction & support only matters when it is about to jeopardize profit.

Quite a few large german etailers have increased GTX970 prices and decreased GTX980 prices.

I am pretty sure many people would have rather bought AMD R9 if they knew GTX970 has slow VRAM barely usable above 3.5GB

IMHO it is BS what they say about internal communication problems - they just wanted to cut off AMDs R9 290/x from christmas sale.

Since i am used to DSR/MFAA now i just got myself a GTX980 ... not that a GTX970 is so bad ... but at the end i dont want to have VGA with crippled VRAM/memory interface in my rigg.

Last edited:
Whilst this issue is by design Nvidia saw it as a big enough issue to try to hide and lie about it.

Lie? I hear you say and I say yes, they lied. Through their teeth.

Anyone who tries to tell me that not one gpu engineer has the pride in their work or the curiosity to at least read one review or preview which discusses their work in detail I would frankly call them a deluded fool.

Not really sure what to do.
Got a pair of 970's (Inno3D) along with all the waterblocks and EK Bridges to connect it all up. If I was to swap that's a hell of a hit on the blocks to swallow. Would only be putting towards a single 980, can't justify £1k of SLI right now.

BUT the only pressing reason to do the change is to avoid potential devaluation of the cards come next upgrade round or that 6 months from now there are going to be games that my cards just will not play - I didn't upgrade for less than 12 months of usefulness

I can also announce already that anyone with a KFA/Galax card, this also includes the Infinity card can return the card if the customer wishes

In short the 970 remains the amazing product it has always being, nothing has changed,

Shadows of Mordor: GTX 980 GTX970
<3.5GB settings: 2688x1512 Very High 72FPS 60FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3456x1944 Very High 55FPS (24%) 45FPS (-25%)
Relative performance difference: 1%

Battlefield 4:
<3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 2xMSAA 36FS 30FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 135% res. 19FPS (-47%) 15FPS (-50%)
Relative performance difference: 3%

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare:
<3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, SS off 82FPS 71FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, SS on 48FPS (-41%) 40FPS (-44%)

As you can see above the relative performance difference varies from 1% in Shadows of Mordor, to 3% in Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. The performance differences between a 970 and 980 in the above examples remain a constant 15-19%, regardless of memory usage.

That is great service, thank you. T Being a Galax infinite owner, I don't think returning is the right thing just yet, and certainly not just because I can. Ok, I haven't been "victim" of stuttering, far from it at 1080 on the 40* tv...... But I am concerned about longetivity of the card.

Lets see what these new drivers bring to the table before making any knee-jerk decisions and caught in the wave.

Thanks for the option OCUK and Gibbo, that really does make a difference to the customer assurance and satisfaction, even if hopefully nothing needs to be done.

PS; Given those stats.... less that 5% performance for £150 step-up just doesn't seem to make sense to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom