• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a reviewer, I can tell you the first job after getting a sample is acknowledging you have received it, and when the review is done, a link is sent via e-mail and the company responds. Every review will have been read by Nvidia or board partners.

BUT the only pressing reason to do the change is to avoid potential devaluation of the cards come next upgrade round or that 6 months from now there are going to be games that my cards just will not play - I didn't upgrade for less than 12 months of usefulness

Yep, this is why I would like to return my 970's, but also, if for no other reason than to make a statement to nvidia, that decieving their customers is just not on, and we shouldn't just take it.

I don't really see this as a raw FPS issue. You can have solid FPS whilst the gaming experience is poor due to annoying stuttering.

At a guess I reckon nVidia is planning on having their manufacturing partners take the bullet on this (either monetarily or damage to their repution), and if they aren't happy then in future they won't receive their most 'generous' allocation of gpu's.....

Believe me, they'd sink that low!! They've got form :)

Profit is king to those pond-life!!

Last edited:
Never had any stuttering with my single GTX970 (had Asus Strix, Gigabyte G1, EVGA SSC 6+8 Pin PCIe).

VRAM usage was nailed to 3.5GB by the driver ... never went above and i use 1920x1080 and 19201200 with at least 1.78 DSR ratio.

You buy SLI to be able to utilize higher resolution / DSR ratios and get stuttering because VRAM above >3.5GB is in use ... i would bite my a$$.

Hello Gibbo,

I have the EVGA GTX 970 GPU, if I want to return it for a refund would it be sent back to OCUK or EVGA? from my understanding if I want to use the step up program then its EVGA but if I want a refund is it OCUK?

regards

If you want an experienced view going from a 970 to a 980 then to 970 SLI.

I didnt see any difference when going from 970 to 980 but going to 970 SLI very noticeable in a good way.

Ill be going from 970sli to 980sli, little choice for me and my wallet is already crying at the prospect. If they released a 970 with full 4gb at full speed etc.. then id just swap. But that isnt an option

guess someones just lost a lot of revenue.

LOL! About the 3rd time you have given this response reagrding being unhappy with something from OCUK, each time you back down.

I doubt Gibbo or OCUK care about you and your 6 youtube friends or what equates to about 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 of ocuk turn over.

The customer service supplied by Bailey and his team is brilliant I used it a few times last year.

I have a 970gtx I'm not happy with the situation, but threatening a company that's just stuck in the middle. Grow the hell up. We have options you like you keep, you don't like you send back simples.

I will be keeping mine, I'm not happy about the way Nvidia trolled us. But that's 1st first problems for you right there.

Are Nvidia going to shoulder any of the financial cost?

It's all very well Peter@nvidia saying if you're not happy return the cards, but most of the financial burden related to this appears to be falling on manufacturers and e-tailers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you'll find the word "Return" has magically disappeared from his posting, he edited it yesterday.

Yes, but the second would suggest the 980 slays the 970. Maybe it's just the way he's worded it, but I find it a bit confusing and contradictory. One quote suggesting the 980 isn't worth upgrading from the 970 for, and the second suggesting the 980 would be a major upgrade. I don't know, perhaps he can clarify.

Check out some of the gaming bench threads to see the gtx980 is a good bit more powerful. The 290x is more of a match to the gtx980 compared to the gtx970 from the findings on this forum. This is users pushing there cards hard though and has no relation to stock performance.

Last edited:
If you want an experienced view going from a 970 to a 980 then to 970 SLI.

I didnt see any difference when going from 970 to 980 but going to 970 SLI very noticeable in a good way.

I have 970 sli and I am awaiting a 4k screen, I have noticed stuttering in a few games at 1440 but they are ubisoft games,

I see you are at 4k so my question is stick or twist? :)

Im guessing Gibbo is on lunch or in another meeting. Hopefully news very soon for us with the big name cards. Although, if im given the option ill gladly swap to an inhouse OCUK brand now, this has been handled very well by their team.

Will be using OCUK instead of amazon (just need to get the free deliveries) in the future as I doubt amazon will be this helpful for their 970s.

The question I have is,,, going for the 980 and returning the 970s, is only a 0.5GB increase, is that really going to be worth the extra? This is why I'm leaning towards the 290x 8gb.

The question I have is,,, going for the 980 and returning the 970s, is only a 0.5GB increase, is that really going to be worth the extra?

For 970sli users with Rog Swifts I dont think there is any other choice at all? If only there were 980 8gb cards.....

Yep, this is why I would like to return my 970's, but also, if for no other reason than to make a statement to nvidia, that decieving their customers is just not on, and we shouldn't just take it.

Problem is that I would be stuck with Nvidia, not really much option when I have a GSync monitor and an Nvidia Shield (and the 3D Vision kit, which I enjoy using now and then for movies). Hardly going to be "sticking it to them" when I am effectively spending "more" on NVidia stuff LOL.

On the plus side, at DSR would then work at last...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom