• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen this issue myself. Is there any way of inducing it quickly and benching the actual speed? I saw a bench of some sort back up the thread but not sure where to obtain it?

Otherwise I'm totally happy with the card and being under water it'll be a massive PITA to send back, especially if NV then come up with a workaround.

I'm getting a new PC soon and getting a 1440p or 4K monitor, i'm going nvidia because of physx games and its quieter than AMD, should i buy a second hand 780ti to tide me over until nvidia release 8GB cards or just get the cheapest 980 card now and sell for a high resale value when 8GB cards are out?

Those are some greedy *******s ... NVIDIA is 100% dedicated to profit ... customer satisfaction & support only matters when it is about to jeopardize profit.

Quite a few large german etailers have increased GTX970 prices and decreased GTX980 prices.

I am pretty sure many people would have rather bought AMD R9 if they knew GTX970 has slow VRAM barely usable above 3.5GB

IMHO it is BS what they say about internal communication problems - they just wanted to cut off AMDs R9 290/x from christmas sale.

Since i am used to DSR/MFAA now i just got myself a GTX980 ... not that a GTX970 is so bad ... but at the end i dont want to have VGA with crippled VRAM/memory interface in my rigg.

We have reduced prices on all GPUs :)

God tier customer support by OCUK, a small part of me wants to send my inno3d card back and upgrade to a 980, how much of a hit would OCUK take on such an exchange as I would feel bad having them foot the bill for what is Nvidia's fault?

God tier customer support by OCUK, a small part of me wants to send my inno3d card back and upgrade to a 980, how much of a hit would OCUK take on such an exchange as I would feel bad having them foot the bill for what is Nvidia's fault?

Why is that even relevant? Just do it, its a transaction not ripping off your granny or something

how much of a hit would OCUK take on such an exchange as I would feel bad having them foot the bill for what is Nvidia's fault?

Well Gibbo drives a solid gold Bugatti Veyron fuelled by a cell powered with crushed 980gtx cores (and that car has a real thirst) and he's only the tea boy*, so the company as a whole can probably afford it.

* none of this may be true

i know what your saying but...

we are the customers if we are not happy with a product or it isn't running right to what the specs says then u should return it. as a customer u shouldn't really be worrying about how much ocuk will loss or who will be financial the cost, it is for the retailer to worry about and get sorted.

Last edited:
I'm a busy boy and dont have time for patience or being miss sold

Well if that's the case its not miss sold and lesson learned always read the small print on anything I buy but I would be surprised if that's true as I am majorly anal about choosing pc parts and usually read up on everything for hours on end

I am in meetings and also trying to grab something to eat. We're doing more on this than anyone else for something were not to blame for, so patience.

I appreciate people who are angry, I am too, but seriously, Gibbo is doing everything possible to allow for refunds. He even hinted at OCUK brunting the cost even if partners refuse. It's a complicated issue, give him time, and be polite, no other retailer would give this level of transparency and help their customers.

Having read quite a bit about this, it doesn't seem to affect performance that much in real-terms (1-3% at 4K, chances are if you're going with 4K you're on multiple 980s anyway). The benchmark shown is quite misleading as the bandwidth for the second 'chunk' of RAM is NOT dragging down the first lot to that level, however the bandwidth for that 'chunk' in isolation is slower.

However it is very poor form from NV to give out incorrect specs and I completely understand anyone wanting to send theirs back over this.

Any chance there can be an announcement made on this forum to sum up 213 pages of comments from this thread?

Essentially what the issue is, what the performance cost is, what cards you are currently allowing to be refunded, etc? I've seen mention of a possible driver 'fix' from Nvidia?

I'll be keeping my MSI because for the price, it's still a stonking card and I have no plans for 4K gaming. Infact I may be looking at a 2nd card if there is going to be B-Grade stuff appearing.

We've done KFA2, Galax, Inno3D, OcUK of our own back with because they are brands you can typically only buy from OcUK and we want to put customer first. We are sure they will support us as well as we are close to them.

OcUK is pushing like crazy and I hope to have an internal decision later on the bigger brands, but the hit to OcUK is pretty big, so internally this takes a lot of work to arrange.

But hey we are trying and communicating to you our customers hourly around the clock, name me one competitor worldwide which does this? :)

Gibbo, I bought 2 Inno3D 970's (mini ones) from OCUK, I melted the original heatsinks with liquid metal TP and am now running them with Accelero Mono coolers (Sooo much better). The original coolers are in the bin.

Would the cards have to be stock?

PS. I don't want to return them, just wondered what the stance would be for modified cards :)

Last edited:
Gibboo, I bought 2 Inno3D 970's (mini ones) from OCUK, I melted the original heatsinks with liquid metal TP and am now running them with Accelero Mono coolers (Sooo much better). The original coolers are in the bin.

Would the cards have to be stock?

I can answer that :p you couldn't return those cards since they have been modified from the original product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom