• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is that I would be stuck with Nvidia, not really much option when I have a GSync monitor and an Nvidia Shield (and the 3D Vision kit, which I enjoy using now and then for movies). Hardly going to be "sticking it to them" when I am effectively spending "more" on NVidia stuff LOL.

On the plus side, at DSR would then work at last...

If only, DSR will not work in SLI with GSync.

Although, it seems to be (buggily) working for me with the latest drivers, the options are not in the control panel, but I enabled them with SLI off, then turned on SLI, and the resolutions are still there in Elite Dangerous (although, if I set a higher resolution my mouse will only go to a portion of the screen, and screenshots seem to be 1440p still. FPS does drop as I'd expect it to though...)

a driver fix can simply tell the card to not use the slower portion of the ram

How is that a fix? One of the biggest arguments pro NVidia people have been spouting is that it has 4gb of usable memory, disabling 1/8th of it completely would surely make it a 3.5gb card and thus make the calls for a full recall even more valid?

what kind of issues? ive played it almost 2 days straight on a 290 and had no stuttering issues, i had 1 crash but i cant say that wasnt a twitch app caused that, ive also seen it played on a 780 at the same time and it didnt seem bad either, the cpu is always at 100% tho lol

It is absolutely the worst game on my gtx 970. Massive stuttering and loading. Even lowering the settings doesn't help. The memory usage is 3.5GB at max settings but even on low settings it's the same which leads me to believe that the Nvidia drivers or bios have indeed capped the usage at 3.5GB.

Luckily OCuk are allowing returns so will be sending the card back. If it can't even handle Dying light then there's no way it's gonna handle Witcher 3 or other games coming later this year.

Last edited:
It is absolutely the worst game on my gtx 970. Massive stuttering and loading. Even lowering the settings doesn't help. The memory usage is 3.5GB at max settings but even on low settings it's the same which leads me to believe that the Nvidia drivers or bios have indeed capped the usage at 3.5GB.

Luckily OCuk are allowing returns so will be sending the card back. If it can't even handle Dying light then there's no way it's gonna handle Witcher 3 or other games coming later this year.

Yeah my thoughts. Ran it just now and each 970 stopped at 3535mb usage and then went choppy as hell.

I have an update and it's not good news! Just spoke to the retailer I bought my 2 msi gtx 970's from (not ocuk) and they said they have been in contact with nvidia whose official stance is no refunds as they see it as a non issue. In other words unless you have an evga card or one of the ocuk ones then you are stuck with it

I totally appreciate that Gibbo and I'm sorry if I have come across a bit rude, its a combination of sifting through all the crap in this thread to get to the important information and typing a reply on my phone whilst on my lunch break

I'm also trying to monitor the thread for an update on the gigabyte cards whilst working but I'm really busy and because there is so much useless rubbish being spewed in here its difficult

Again I appreciate what you're doing and look forward to an update from Gigabyte

Being pushing Gigabyte all day, latest response it is with HQ in Far East, so waiting. If they say no we shall probably see what we can fund ourselves. How many people with Gigabyte cards are wanting a refund as they unhappy?

I have an update and it's not good news! Just spoke to the retailer I bought my 2 msi gtx 970's from (not ocuk) and they said they have been in contact with nvidia whose official stance is no refunds as they see it as a non issue. In other words unless you have an vega card or one of the ocuk ones then you are stuck with it

Thats for the manufacturers / retailers to sort out. Consumer rights in UK are pretty clear with false or misleading advertising. Not a route I think OCUK will force people to go down given Gibbo's good service thus far.

Thats for the manufacturers / retailers to sort out. Consumer rights in UK are pretty clear with false or misleading advertising. Not a route I think OCUK will force people to go down given Gibbo's good service thus far.

Indeed, I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that.

Nvidia working on software 'fix'. Although sounds more like an optimization.

By PeterS@NVIDIA: Actually I'm not sure as that's not a simple issue with just one cause. Card memory is not just used for the frame buffer, plenty of driver stuff gets loaded into it as well. We're looking at sticking as much of that stuff as possible into the 0.5GB space to leave the rest available.

Last edited:
So, my understanding is that the 970/980 have 4GB of ram, in 8 32bit channels.

For the 980, it interleaves requests through all 8 channels, a bit like RAID 0, giving it full bandwidth, in a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 pattern.

The 970 can't access both 7 and 8 at once, so ends up interleaving between the first 7 then the 8th gets used exclusively when 1-7 are full.

Could we not have it in some way switch between 7 and 8 intelligently, so either we get:

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,8 (alternate between 7 and 8)

Or even better switch depending on memory address requested, meaning that the speed of 1-6 does not suffer?

This would mean you'd effectively have a 224bit bus, with 4gb addressable, and you'd not lose speed on banks 1-6.

So, my understanding is that the 970/980 have 4GB of ram, in 8 32bit channels.

For the 980, it interleaves requests through all 8 channels, a bit like RAID 0, giving it full bandwidth, in a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 pattern.

The 970 can't access both 7 and 8 at once, so ends up interleaving between the first 7 then the 8th gets used exclusively when 1-7 are full.

Could we not have it in some way switch between 7 and 8 intelligently, so either we get:

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,8 (alternate between 7 and 8)

Or even better switch depending on memory address requested, meaning that the speed of 1-6 does not suffer?

This would mean you'd effectively have a 224bit bus, with 4gb addressable, and you'd not lose speed on banks 1-6.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/does-the-geforce-gtx-970-have-a-memory-allocation-bug.html

Look here for the issue mate.

Being pushing Gigabyte all day, latest response it is with HQ in Far East, so waiting. If they say no we shall probably see what we can fund ourselves. How many people with Gigabyte cards are wanting a refund as they unhappy?

Have you been able to chat with MSI at all....?

Thanks Gibbo :)

I have an update and it's not good news! Just spoke to the retailer I bought my 2 msi gtx 970's from (not ocuk) and they said they have been in contact with nvidia whose official stance is no refunds as they see it as a non issue. In other words unless you have an evga card or one of the ocuk ones then you are stuck with it

Well there you go, OCUK are proactive and helping costumers out, its competitors hide behind the weasel Nvidia. Who you gonna buy your next PC component from?

I have two cards that I am looking at a refund for, but I had genuinely hoped it would come via NVidia, not directly from yourselves.

What about Asus I haven't seen reply on that yet.!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom