• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cancelled my preorder OcUK 970, just ruined my confidence in the GPU of this product. Still undecided exactly what to do because if i want a graphics card worth having thermal constraints really do restrict me to NVIDIA products at the moment. Toying with the idea of a 960 to tide me over at 1080 till the next generation stuff comes out. Sadly, i do not have a discrete card to keep using.

I will be buying whatever i decide on from OcUK however. Overall, the way this has been dealt with by Gibbo and OcUK has served to reinforce my ten year plus faith in this company.

Is the 290X 8GB a step up from the 970 given they're priced about the same? Seems like it would offer more future proofing given these VRAM shenanigans. Or is the 980 the way to go? Or wait for 300 series? If the 970 is off the table, what's the best card out there that will last the longest for 1440p and above gaming?

I have a Gigabyte G1 that I brought in September from you guys, I play @ 1440p and have had issues. This was my first Nvidia card since my 8800gt and would like to return to Amd..severely disappointed in Nvidia.

I would like to add that I for one will now only ever buy my pc components from Ocuk as they have proved to me over this matter that they really do care about there customers something that is becoming a rare thing in this day in age. The entire team here at Ocuk should be applauded for the lengths they are going to on this...well done Gibbo & co your efforts are much appreciated and you have earned 1 more dedicated life long customer!.

If I can return my 970 great if not I won't hold it against Ocuk in any way.

Am I not able to see where gibbo has posted the info on how to return a 970?

I have a G1 970 that I would like to return.

@Gibbo. Would it be possible to have store credit instead of a refund into the card, maybe the ocuk vouchers? Would just make life easier I suppose.

Cheers

Why are overclockers being praised? They are allowing people to return 970's if under 14 days old, that common law any way.

If over 14 days you cant return.... Am I missing the hero overclockers point?

Why are overclockers being praised? They are allowing people to return 970's if under 14 days old, that common law any way.

This is for cards purchased since release, not just 14day dsr.

They are allowing certain brands (currently KFA/Galax/OCUK/Inno3D/EVGA) to return irrespective of how long you've had the cards.

Last edited:
Nvidia PR-bots appear to be in retreat today.

Peter@Nvidia has even edited his original post on the Nvidia forums recommending people return their cards if they're not happy.

I was told by the returns dept I can be issued with a rma for kfa2 (19th jan) and my reason is this memory issue and the sli memory isdue with my existing one is defeating what I wanted to achieve. He said I can return the kfa2 only because it's within 14 days and he has no other information to give me regarding other makes at this time. I've taken the rma but it still leaves me with my MSI I got from here. If I can return one and not the other I'll be best not pleased. I know it's a nvidia issue but only thing I seem to be getting us overclockers are dealing with their partners and the rest of us are to sit and wait and likely be told no we can't. It's utterly frustrating from my point of view. 1 card I can return but not another, but returning the second because of the issue with both of them. Bonkers

gibbo i feel quite guilty wanting to return it. i had a 290 before then went to a 970 for pure nvidia nostalgia to find nothing much had changed. i want to go 4k and thought the 970 was gonna be good for games like mirrors edge and things like space engineers and mgs. id likely go with a 8gb 290x but with the 3 series right around the corner... i dunno. might just keep this. i shouldnt have to suck up the depreciation but neither should ocuk, this is why im sour with nvidia atm. if i did send it back whats the stance with having used one of the never settle codes, i sold it anwyway so im happy to have that amount deducted.

You chose a 970 for 4k gaming? And that's why you are returning it? Its been shown that tri-titans don't do great at 4k! LOLI guess you figured you would do 4k on your single 290?

970's will be worth the same as any other GPU given depreciation in a years time, they are awesome cards and Ebay buyers will suck them up like a vacuum!

Makes me laugh some of the excuses I see, a single 970 wont even cut it at 1440p(I had sli 770's before and were faster than a single 970, wanted more vRAM) if you want decent in-game settings, hence I have 2 and they are great, I would never think of them being capable for 4k, 3.5 or 4GB of vRAM!

Everyone is 4k this and 4k that, seriously. 4K gaming at decent FPS is a myth ATM, whatever GPU set-up you have!! Just wait!

Last edited:
I was told by the returns dept I can be issued with a rma for kfa2 (19th jan) and my reason is this memory issue and the sli memory isdue with my existing one is defeating what I wanted to achieve. He said I can return the kfa2 only because it's within 14 days and he has no other information to give me regarding other makes at this time. I've taken the rma but it still leaves me with my MSI I got from here. If I can return one and not the other I'll be best not pleased. I know it's a nvidia issue but only thing I seem to be getting us overclockers are dealing with their partners and the rest of us are to sit and wait and likely be told no we can't. It's utterly frustrating from my point of view. 1 card I can return but not another, but returning the second because of the issue with both of them. Bonkers

I'd give it a bit of time really. I bet some of the customer services aren't aware of the whole picture yet, Gibbo is working on refunds for all brands if possible.

You chose a 970 for 4k gaming? And that's why you are returning it? Its been shown that tri-titans don't do great at 4k!

Makes me laugh some of the excuses I see, a single 970 wont even cut it at 1440p(I had sli 770's before and were faster than a single 970, wanted more vRAM) if you want decent in-game settings, hence I have 2 and they are great, I would never think of them being capable for 4k, 3.5 or 4GB of vRAM!

Everyone is 4k this and 4k that, seriously. 4K gaming at decent FPS is a myth ATM, whatever GPU set-up you have!! Just wait!

Funny guru3d recommended a single gigabyte G1 for 1440p, check the review.

well , both my galax cards were purchased together back in October I believe , so mine will certainly be well outside the 14 days returns , ive been waiting on a final reply to say its gone through scince 2ish ( not that im rushing ocuk at all ) . ive already gaven then my invoice no and they already gave me the benchmark spiel reply so just wating for confirmation .

You chose a 970 for 4k gaming? And that's why you are returning it? Its been shown that tri-titans don't do great at 4k!

i bought a 970 with the plan for a second 970 for 4k monitors in my studio for audio work and light games like i mentioned. When i read the reviews i was under the illusion 4gb would be optimal. im probably just going to keep it anyway and just sell it when the new cards come out and take my mistake on the chin.

Yeh, too many sheep that's the problem, they see 4k and think that'll be great but they don't take into account the ridiculous amount of money you need to put into it to get adequate results.. this is why i'm still on 1080p, i prefer high fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom