• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being pushing Gigabyte all day, latest response it is with HQ in Far East, so waiting. If they say no we shall probably see what we can fund ourselves. How many people with Gigabyte cards are wanting a refund as they unhappy?

I for one would want a refund. Bought 2 g1's but to be honest it's just a stuttery mess.

Bought my system from OcUK years ago, apart from a swap of CPU and adding some more RAM most of the changes have been GPU - Crossfired HD4870 > GTX295 > GTX 480 > GTX670 and now the GTX 970, all from Overclockers.

I'm very happy with my GALAX GTX970 ExOC, had it since October, I play at 1920x1080 and it's doing everything that I expected of it and more.

While the offer to accept returns is very generous it's not one that I could take up as, for the way I use the card, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it so why would I return it.

If / when I go for 4K gaming it would be a whole system upgrade, possibly with SLI (if NVidia can get their drivers sorted out).

I think it's a very grey area as stated nvidia technically never miss sold anything so now they can turn around and say tuff luck. In future which is what we should all really be pushing for is more detailed specs in I.e
ROP's, memory configuration and cache to be listed on retail packaging. Then this issue could never happen again.

So hang on a second.

If I have a GTX970 that is over 14 days old I can still send it back for a full refund because of the deception caused by Nvidia?

I only ask as my card is causing massive issues (constant crashing) and OCUK have tested it and reported it as being fine so are sending it back. Judging there by whether it crashes still or not I may very well take this up!

Me to, i have a 1440p qnix and i have been getting it a lot especially with far cry 4 and shadow of mordor, and i thought it was my system playing up.

I am a technical minded person and things like ROP counts, amount of level 2 cache and how the 4GB of vram is accessed is important to my purchasing decision. If I had known about this 2 separate memory pool rubbish I would have stayed away.

If Nvidia doesn't resolve this amicably, I will not be touching their products again. I feel cheated!

Actually I am at the point now where I think I won't be touching their products again just out of principle.

I don't honestly get the issue, I've seen the benchmarks from launch and it still stands that it is still a good card.

If its Nvidias marketing mix up people are upset about then this isn't the first time its happened and it's not the first time I've seen a company keep quiet about a mistake.

If anything this thread has made me more confident with OCuk's customer service and I'll be making my first purchase on Sunday :)

Hiya, I have seen various reviews lauding a single 970 for 1440p. I personally refused to play any games until I had 2 in SLI. I guess im spoilt as I have come from xfire 5850s, SLI 580's, 680's and 770's(When I was bought the Asus PB278Q), but a single 970 couldn't run all I wanted at 60+ with max settings. I now have two and I never drop below 60FPS unless I'm using silly SS or DSR

I love the 970, I'm not a Shill or anything, just a game player who's been doing this for a looong ass time! My mate offered to swap his 2 Ref 290x's for my 970's and I said no.

I have custom coolers on these 970's now and they are OC stable and run perfect for all I do at 1440p. I'm happy.

Unfortunately I could only afford a single card having at the time just brought the PB278Q (fantastic monitor, do you have any issues with display port and booting / sleep?.

Last edited:
If Nvidia think there is nothing to answer then why are they even apologizing and why are ocuk even refunding - if in Nvidias eyes there is nothing to answer for?

Last edited:
I don't honestly get the issue, I've seen the benchmarks from launch and it still stands that it is still a good card.

If its Nvidias marketing mix up people are upset about then this isn't the first time its happened and it's not the first time I've seen a company keep quiet about a mistake.

If anything this thread has made me more confident with OCuk's customer service and I'll be making my first purchase on Sunday :)

The issue is the cards turn into a stuttering mess when it tries to use over 3.5gb vram making 1440p gaming screwed. If it was limited to 3.5gb then I imagine the stuttering would stop as its not trying to allocate data into the much slower memory.

If they had just listed this on the card they would have got more 980 sales to begin with instead of being caught out later on and companies having to accept returns for mis-sold items.

Well I do love the sli 970 msi cards I have bought, but if more and more games need 4 gig of vram to play with hd textures at 2k then this is actually going to really **** me off if i have to drop to lower specs.

I have a question to anyone with a gtx 980 or gtx 980 sli with shadows of mordor. Playing at 2k everything maxed with the Hd textures do you have any stutter problems or does the 980 actually have 4 gig of ram that is usable by the game?

Hi there

Latest update for OcUK customers ONLY:

The following brands you can return if unhappy:
KFA2 (formerly Galax)
Inno3D
OcUK
EVGA

The following brands are still unknown:
Asus
Gigabyte
MSI
Palit
Zotac

So we've had a good result today, the other unknown brands I'm basically giving until tomorrow, I will not let this run over the weekend, it is unfair to customers, in short they need to help OcUK support our customers, if they refuse to help then we will still look to offer a solution at our own cost. But I am sure these brands who are yet to make a decision to support OcUK or on a global scale now have headaches as I've not let it rest all day with them, but out of respect they do need to obtain permission from people in charge who are not so easy to obtain due to being in other countries in different time zones.

So more updates tomorrow, but should the worse case happen I've sat down with the owners of OcUK with a contingency plan should the manufacturers decide they will not support us. OcUK will stand by its customers and is why I am still working on this, it was until midnight last night and will no doubt be the same again.

We are working crazy hard for our customers and will not give up! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom