• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does 3.5gb make 1440p screwed??? 1440 is fine on 3gb 780's, outside of ubisofts mess and som (high textures over ultra fixes that) nothing is overly taxing, even Bf4 full ultra 4x is only touching a worst case 2700-2800mb over 1440.

Stop scaremongering.
This tbh, although the specs of the cards werent properly published at release i think game developers get away too lightly when releasing games that obviously werent optimised. They seem to be of the opinion, fire it out the door and count the profits, sure it's got a few bugs but we'll patch those later. In some cases taking the guts of a year to get AAA titles patched to any sort of standard. Mid way through this patching process, half the dev team gets pulled away to work on the next bugfest, so the crazy carousel of non finished games just keeps on spinning.

There is a lot that gets lost in translation from manufacture to sales in all fields, this being no exception.

Although the performance knock-on may be slightly effected by the two way L2, this is about a fraction of the issue a lot of owners are making it out to be, and non owners as the case may be...It may be a bit different from previous offerings, but no matter how deliberate you can't divulge every technical specification. We know we are buying a cheaper card, so we should know we are getting less performance. How this is done is up to Nvidia, so although there might be a small penalty you're still in fact getting 4GB.

Those are the facts, the grey area people are trying to unearth boils down to one thing and one thing only. How much of a deficit the change in spec is producing, to which the answer is frankly minimal. By all means discuss the hows and whys, but what's the point in ifs and buts, when one will never know if this was deliberately kept from consumers or not, and more to the point - does it honestly matter when the performance is there, nor has the performance ever come into question till very recently.

etailers are taking the brunt of it along with the more community engrained AIB partners. If you feel cheated then you're being given the chance to rethink your purchase.

How does 3.5gb make 1440p screwed??? 1440 is fine on 3gb 780's, outside of ubisofts mess and som (high textures over ultra fixes that) nothing is overly taxing, even Bf4 full ultra 4x is only touching a worst case 2700-2800mb over 1440.

Stop scaremongering.

Its fine until it tries to write to the much slower .5gb which then bottle knecks causing issues. 3.5gb runs as it should but the more demanding games that use more than this cause problems due to .5gb of slower memory.

A driver update could fix this issue (that shouldnt exist in the first place) by jigging around what can be used but its a hardware issue that is always going to be there unless they change the architecture in revised models.

They should have just marketed it as 3.5gb instead of trying to compete with AMDs 4gb cards.

Wish someone with enough power and balls takes Nvidia up on this and give them a smack down they deserve. But it won't happen and they will still carry on with their arrogance.

im hitting 3.5-3.8 pretty easily on games like Arma though.

Me too

I was maxxing out 3GBvram on my old card no problem.I bought the 970 for mostly more vram.

Games i have played that push well over since 3gb since i bought my 970

Arma3,Titanfall,FC4,AC:U,DA:I,

Nevermind other games that a 970 could easily run at 60fps while using over 3gb vram (Watchdogs ect)

I dont get how people can claim that even 1080p doesnt need 4gb?

Only last week everyone was ragging on the 960,why? it only had 2gb vram,and thats a substanatially less powerfull card than a 970.

In fairness NVIDIA never advertised rops or L2 and more ROPS would have no effect on performance. The NVIDIA bandwidth of the card was advertised correctly which is calculated by the SM/ROPs on the card, so they advertised it correct and the 4GB is present and usable. They have not miss-advertised.

They said nothing about specification on their website and sales channels, the only place you could get those specification from was reviewers, what Nvidia told those reviewers was wrong.

Thats one thing ^^^^ but to then say "We did say it had 64 ROP's and that all off the buffer runs at the same speed" is quite another.

Technically they didn't, they just got someone else to do it for them. now they are washing their hands of it because a technicality means they can.

Last edited:
Hi there

Latest update for OcUK customers ONLY:

The following brands you can return if unhappy:
KFA2 (formerly Galax)
Inno3D
OcUK
EVGA

The following brands are still unknown:
Asus
Gigabyte
MSI
Palit
Zotac

So we've had a good result today, the other unknown brands I'm basically giving until tomorrow, I will not let this run over the weekend, it is unfair to customers, in short they need to help OcUK support our customers, if they refuse to help then we will still look to offer a solution at our own cost. But I am sure these brands who are yet to make a decision to support OcUK or on a global scale now have headaches as I've not let it rest all day with them, but out of respect they do need to obtain permission from people in charge who are not so easy to obtain due to being in other countries in different time zones.

So more updates tomorrow, but should the worse case happen I've sat down with the owners of OcUK with a contingency plan should the manufacturers decide they will not support us. OcUK will stand by its customers and is why I am still working on this, it was until midnight last night and will no doubt be the same again.

We are working crazy hard for our customers and will not give up! :)

This is why I only buy from OcUK these days, superb customer service. I built a 970 & 1440p PC for a friend just before Christmas and he's chuffed to bits with it. Nice to know I do have the option of returning the 970 if he wasn't happy (it's a Galax) but as he games rather than reads tech sites he's got no reason to be unhappy.

Good on OcUK for putting the customers first. Thanks Gibbo & Co.

I run two displays, a BenQ 1080p and the PB278Q, and no, no issues, I use display port out of the top card, and the DVI to the 2nd off the same card.

I sometime get black screen at boot with monitor in standby and have to switch off monitor then on again or if computers sleeps monitor goes off and won't wake - not pc problem as I checked with another monitor - dvi to PB278Q is unaffected by this. Will have to look into this more closely now.. thanks

Stop scaremongering.

Agreed, I run SLI 970's @ 1440p and never have an issue, I completed SOM with ULTRA textures and all other settings maxxed and had NO issues whatsoever (3.7GB max).

People are on the drama train now, no stopping them. Choo Choo!! Good for 980 sales I guess ;)

Last edited:
For us, the customer comes first mate. :)

Surely board partners are going to be particularly annoyed with Nvidia? Can't be a good tactic to antagonise your route to market...

Anyway I await news on gigabyte tomorrow. Quick question if you sort something can I pop into the shop to sort out an exchange for two other cards? Tossing up between 980s or 290X 8GB atm.

OcUK is refunding, not NVIDIA. So your statement is false.

The reason we are refunding is because we want to keep our customers happy as the customer comes first, if that means it comes out of our pockets then so be it.

OcUK's only interest is our customers. :)

Good to know, I will be around your shop on Saturday to return my ASUS 970 Strix for full refund.

Why though if you feel it's a none event and there is nothing to answer too?

Giving refunds is mitigation there is an issue to warrant refunds..

We don't want unhappy customers, OcUK is top of ratings, we want to stay that way and the simple fact is the amount of returns is minimal. We'd rather stump up say £10,000 to keep our customers all happy, in the end it will only bring more customers our way because OcUK is the best company to deal with.

Why do I post around the clock on the forum, I could just pack up my kit at 5pm and go home, the difference is OcUK cares, that is why we are different. We might be a huge big company but we are not a faceless company you can speak to the people running the company day and night. :)

We don't want unhappy customers, OcUK is top of ratings, we want to stay that way and the simple fact is the amount of returns is minimal. We'd rather stump up say £10,000 to keep our customers all happy, in the end it will only bring more customers our way because OcUK is the best company to deal with.

Why do I post around the clock on the forum, I could just pack up my kit at 5pm and go home, the difference is OcUK cares, that is why we are different. We might be a huge big company but we are not a faceless company you can speak to the people running the company day and night. :)

You don't need to tell me how hard you work mate - I know :D

Well OCUK doing this of your own back is good mate and well done.

Nvidia should be ashamed of them selves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom