• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I've not kept up with this thread since this issue first came to light so apologise if this has already been asked but are Gigabyte doing a paid upgrade scheme? I remember reading a post ages ago where someone said they were offered a paid upgrade. Depending on price I'm tempted to upgrade my 970 G1 to a 980.

No they are not, I spoke to Gigabyte today, They called me after i messaged them. they have no way of taking money from us apparently.... So they said that they are supporting overclockers and if we return them to OCUK they will refund OCUK in full (so they claimed) and suggested i returned to OCUK. Im so undecided at the moment with what to do. I have my RMA but its still in my PC i see no worthy upgrade tbh atm

Associate
I want to RMA my 970, but i cant afford to replace it with a 980, i'm not financially in a great place at the moment, so i dont know. My RMA request will most likely run out and i'll have to keep this card, which sucks as i've been coming into issues with some games.

Associate
I want to RMA my 970, but i cant afford to replace it with a 980, i'm not financially in a great place at the moment, so i dont know. My RMA request will most likely run out and i'll have to keep this card, which sucks as i've been coming into issues with some games.

TBH mate this has been turned into a MUCH bigger issue than it really is, Unless you plan on gaming at high res in the next couple of years then you will be fine, Yes its a bummer but seriously unless you go 980 then there is not really a better single card solution out there. AMD really missed a trick here, Had they have had the 300 series out in time they would have really done some damage to Nvidia's sales. After speaking to the Guy at Gigabyte he has seen people changing to 290's etc from a 970 and regretting it trying to change back again.

Each to their own and of course what ever some one owns is going to be "the best" as they will be loyal to their own purchase. However i have the 970 currently and its a let down on the memory side but its good enough for now and what ever card i buy is going to need the settings turned down sooner or later.

The cost of upgrading to the 980 is not an issue for me i just cant be ar5ed tbh, I dont think im going to benefit from it personally.

Associate
1440p has issues right now - and don't even mention SLI....

Exactly this, even with 970 in SLI I was getting a lot of stutters at 1440p.

Gigabyte aren't accepting returns as they're telling people to go back to retailers so I'm not sure how many people he would have seen going to 290s and then wanting to go back.

If you are genuinely having problems with your 970 and you go to a 290 then you're going to notice the difference like I have.
I'm stutter free now but I really wish I didn't have to return the 970s as they were so quiet and cool :(

Associate

Gigabyte aren't accepting returns as they're telling people to go back to retailers so I'm not sure how many people he would have seen going to 290s and then wanting to go back.

If you are genuinely having problems with your 970 and you go to a 290 then you're going to notice the difference like I have.
I'm stutter free now but I really wish I didn't have to return the 970s as they were so quiet and cool :(

The guy left me his mobile number and said contact him reference any issues etc so i guess a few have contacted him again

Associate

I've done exactly the same. Returned my SLI 970's and grabbed a cheap 290 as a temporary card.
Might grab a 300 series card or two depending on specs and performance. Might even call it a day and not bother with PC gaming for a while.

Associate
TBH mate this has been turned into a MUCH bigger issue than it really is, Unless you plan on gaming at high res in the next couple of years then you will be fine, Yes its a bummer but seriously unless you go 980 then there is not really a better single card solution out there. AMD really missed a trick here, Had they have had the 300 series out in time they would have really done some damage to Nvidia's sales. After speaking to the Guy at Gigabyte he has seen people changing to 290's etc from a 970 and regretting it trying to change back again.

Each to their own and of course what ever some one owns is going to be "the best" as they will be loyal to their own purchase. However i have the 970 currently and its a let down on the memory side but its good enough for now and what ever card i buy is going to need the settings turned down sooner or later.

The cost of upgrading to the 980 is not an issue for me i just cant be ar5ed tbh, I dont think im going to benefit from it personally.

I game at 1920x1080, the only reason i upgraded my rig to this gcard was the ludcirous requirements from companys on some titles like Evil Within, Watch Dogs and Far Cry 4 etc. I tried some DSR downsampling on some games and i know it isnt like actual 4k but i really dont want to bother, upgrading to even 2560x1440 seems useless to me sometimes because i just dont think i will see the difference, i've always games 1920x1080 on 27 inches with no ,problems.

Soldato
I've just stumbled across this and I have to say in concerned and it will explain a lot. In running 970s and performance in sniper elite 3 and arma3 have been poor. I play at full 4k and I've been lucky to hit 40fps with frequent drops into the 20s.

As I say this may explain a lot! I haven't read all the thread yet (far from it) but I do have to praise OCUKs response.

One thing I haven't spotted, how long do we have to rma the cards if we want to? What's the deadline?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom