• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but at the same time you don't NEED to have a problem to return it, IF it is an unfixable hardware fault that means you effectively have at least 12.5% less memory than you paid for! But it's INEVITABLE this WILL be a problem if it can't be fixed. Just as games that fully utilise 2GB of RAM nowadays (i.e many of them), if they were only able to use 1.5GB, there is NO DOUBT this would affect pretty much everyone!

I've never said you CAN'T return it I've just said I don't think it's right if you're not affected by the issue. I've already said we'll agree to disagree because I'm not buying into your train of thought at all I'm sure you aren't buying into mine either so I see little point in repeating the same points in a different way.

Your example of the 1.5GB / 2GB isn't relevant because that isn't the situation we're in. If it were then I believe it would be more of a pressing concern as more would be affected. :)

it was deffo slow and stuttery yesterday in Sniper elite 3........``.Solo survival``, it could be due to the latest drivers which were also downloaded yesterday, because it felt like the 1st Crysis....it's only 1080p so my rig should play it easily........it was perfect before these latest drivers

the next card needs to be a monster :cool:

I've never said you CAN'T return it I've just said I don't think it's right if you're not affected by the issue. I've already said we'll agree to disagree because I'm not buying into your train of thought at all I'm sure you aren't buying into mine either so I see little point in repeating the same points in a different way.

Your example of the 1.5GB / 2GB isn't relevant because that isn't the situation we're in. If it were then I believe it would be more of a pressing concern as more would be affected. :)
The point is that the vast majority of 970 owners WILL be affected (eventually) by the issue if it's not fixable. 100% guaranteed... to say otherwise is to say that a game will NEVER use more than 3.5GB RAM, which is obviously utter nonsense given some do now! The 1.5GB example is a perfect illustration of that, as when 4GB first turned up, everyone said you don't need it and 2GB was more than enough (which it was for a while). Bury your head in the sand if you like, but this WILL end up being a MASSIVE problem eventually (if it's not fixed).

The point is that the vast majority of 970 owners WILL be affected (eventually) by the issue if it's not fixable. 100% guaranteed... to say otherwise is to say that a game will NEVER use more than 3.5GB RAM, which is obviously utter nonsense given some do now! The 1.5GB example is a perfect illustration of that, as when 4GB first turned up, everyone said you don't need it and 2GB was more than enough (which it was for a while). Bury your head in the sand if you like, but this WILL end up being a MASSIVE problem eventually (if it's not fixed).

I don't think you've really read anything I've said. You have a warranty period if you're affected. You can use it. Voila.

Well I played 30 minutes of Shadow of Mordor set to ultra at 2560x1440 to see how much VRAM I used. PC crashed after I had closed the game :). So never had chance to open Hardware Monitor and see VRAM usage. FPS was solid 60 nearly the whole time with a few stutters.

It matters... because it matters. What matters is surely what affects you. Why be bothered if you're not affected?

We'll have to simply agree to disagree.

It might not affect them, but in the future if it does (I dunno gaming on larger monitors and whatnot) and it's out of it's warranty or just past 12 months where most retailers usually wash their hands with you and tell you to go to the manufacturer.

What would they do then? I thought the same before and learned the hard way with a GPU I had. The DVI port failed early on and I happily used the VGA port while it ran out of its warranty just for convenience. The VGA port went shortly after the warranty expired and had to bin it as no one really wanted to know about it.

I don't see anything where anyone's trying to 'gain' something other than a working and fully functional card that fullfills its specifications.

It might not affect them, but in the future if it does (I dunno gaming on larger monitors and whatnot) and it's out of it's warranty or just past 12 months where most retailers usually wash their hands with you and tell you to go to the manufacturer.

What would they do then? I thought the same before and learned the hard way with a GPU I had. The DVI port failed early on and I happily used the VGA port while it ran out of its warranty just for convenience. The VGA port went shortly after the warranty expired and had to bin it as no one really wanted to know about it.

I don't see anything where anyone's trying to 'gain' something other than a working and fully functional card that fullfills its specifications.
Exactly, you've summed it up well there I think.

You're implying there's a possibility people WON'T be affected. They will be. Eventually.

Well it's not a possibility, it's a certainty..Some people will of course (assuming it can't be fixed) by virtue of remaining 1080, not playing a game with massive VRAM requirements, changing cards when the next generation hits... etc.

If they are they can return it when they are affected. Sorted. Obviously they can return it whenever they like if it cannot be fixed but I would completely disagree with this approach.

They gain (assuming successful) a full refund on a card they've had ample painless use from. It's up to people to enforce their rights regarding warranty if they have an issue :).

I really should have stuck with my trifire 290's :D

Went back to nvidia because I always found them to just be that little bit less hassle.

I came back to possibly the worst drivers/cards I could have :)

Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Though am partly tempted to just sell up and get a couple of 8gb 290's.

Contacted OcUK and getting this RMA'd.

For whoever asked the games I'm having an issue with are:

Shadows of Mordor - If you do get to a scene where you use more than 3.5 the fps drop is very visible and game also starts stuttering.

Assasins Creed Unity and Far Cry 4 are both the same and I know these games have had their problems but having installed Hitman Absolution and Dragon Age Inquisition to test whether it might be an unlucky batch of games I was hit with the same issue.

It's a shame as it's the first time I've went to the green team as I built my new machine to make sure DA:Inquisition and The Witcher 3 were able to be played at 60fps @ 1440.
The cards themselves look awesome and feel great, the Nvidia software is so much better than AMD's and as useless as it is in most games I love PhysX but I'm not going to keep a card which clearly has a massive flaw and gimps my games especially having paid £600+ for them.

Who knows what the route cause of this is. Let's hope it can be fixed, but for all we know the new AMD cards could suffer from the same problem! We really know nothing at this point.

this isn't a massive problem is it, because i'll be buying another card this year anyway, but it means i wont be able to sell mine for so much

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom