A 10 hour walk...

Soldato
Go fund me is a bit like Kick starter.

The platforms take a cut so give no Fs about what goes on there unless they have to.

The only scam I've ever been bitten by was on KS.
Luckily it was only 80 pounds but it wasn't a failed project. The creators vanished.

Now you might think KS would at least refund you their cut. Nope. Nothing. They don't persue or even try to help out. Just point out to the CC charge back "this is a donation".

Never again with KS. And there are so many scams.

Go fund me seems same. Company takes a cut and doesn't really care about the cause. Unless there's clear fraud and they have to do something.

I would disgree with this... both kickstarter and gofundme have a place in our modern world.

Kickstarter is for innovative or unique products and services for small companies or single person to get their ideas to the market.
Gofundme allows people the chance to change their lives and enjoy an opportunity that they may not ever get otherwise.

sadly both are abused, kickstarter seems to be full of companies taking pre-orders for items that are easy available from a different company.. multi-million/billion pound companies asking for pre-orders.

gofundme just seems to be a place for a certain type of people to beg, for example I have no issues giving money to a local school to do up their playground or help a dying person visit disney land. But I'm not going to give to the local chav who has had their motorbike stolen as it wasn't insured, then it turned out that it wasn't stolen but the police took the bike as they was riding around without insurance.

you just have to separate the wheat worthy from the chaff chav...

Caporegime
I would disgree with this... both kickstarter and gofundme have a place in our modern world.

Kickstarter is for innovative or unique products and services for small companies or single person to get their ideas to the market.
Gofundme allows people the chance to change their lives and enjoy an opportunity that they may not ever get otherwise.

sadly both are abused, kickstarter seems to be full of companies taking pre-orders for items that are easy available from a different company.. multi-million/billion pound companies asking for pre-orders.

gofundme just seems to be a place for a certain type of people to beg, for example I have no issues giving money to a local school to do up their playground or help a dying person visit disney land. But I'm not going to give to the local chav who has had their motorbike stolen as it wasn't insured, then it turned out that it wasn't stolen but the police took the bike as they was riding around without insurance.

you just have to separate the wheat worthy from the chaff chav...

I won't support KS anymore after it wouldn't help at all. Absolutely nothing. Even a legit product (and there are plenty) but what an I even giving a percentage cut for?

With ebay you get protection. With KS nothing.

I suspect it's same with go fund me. Tbh the cut gofundme really take is a joke too

Soldato
Same name and looks the same in picture.
Yeah look the same in pictures to me too. Plus the Jay in the gang attack case was reported to be from Fountains Way, Accrington, and the missing Jay is reported as being from Oswaldtwistle. On the map you can see these are the same place - Fountains Way is in Oswaldtwistle, which is on the edge of Accrington.

I imagine the mainstream news maybe hasn't made too much of a big deal about it because they probably have rules about not reporting anything too negative about missing people.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah look the same in pictures to me too. Plus the Jay in the gang attack case was reported to be from Fountains Way, Accrington, and the missing Jay is reported as being from Oswaldtwistle. On the map you can see these are the same place - Fountains Way is in Oswaldtwistle, which is on the edge of Accrington.

I think the mainstream news probably just hasn't made too much of a big deal about it because they probably have rules about not reporting anything too negative about missing people.
OK. I thought they were completely different places.

Those 2 places are like 5 mins away

Soldato
Pretty much as far as I’m aware. Gofundme is nothing really to do with charities as people use it for all sorts of fund raising such as paying for funerals and the like.

Gofundme would likely shut it down though if there was evidence of fake ID or whatever though.
I’ve been checking in on twitter today as this is providing a sad source of amusement.

It looks like there’s donator protection on the account (whether that’s always been there or not, I’m not sure) so that’s reassuring.

According to screenshots on Twitter, ‘Lucy’ tried to add a beneficiary to the gofundme page to withdraw the funds(the mother), gofundme has had complaints and they’ve had to remove her.

Back
Top Bottom