• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A future proof CPU

Caporegime
:rolleyes:

The articles don't lie..

"Badly fitting coolers, too low performance with actually good waterblocks and bent CPUs – meanwhile not only the feedback of the readers is piling up, but also very similar reports from the board partners, cooler manufacturers and system integrators. Based on my own experiences, I went in search of clues and first tried to sort out emotionlessly what error patterns occurred. Finding a cause here is certainly not easy, as the phenomena are quite complex, but certainly not impossible either."
Cooling issues with Intel’s Alder Lake - Problems with the LGA-1700 socket and a possible workaround | igor'sLAB (igorslab.de)

You tried this on the other day. It's not a common issue and is an article from way back in December. Another article from igors also shows lower power usage on the Intel chips but you wouldn't like to link that would you as you only look at listed TDP.

The stuff about more expensive power supplies, coolers and noise dampening cases is the outright nonsense. Nobody but you seems to have an issue with the OP choosing between say a 5900x or 12700k. It's like as soon as Intel is even suggested you're instantly triggered. It must be unbearable.

+1. I am also with the 12-core Ryzen 9 5900X and I think it will last as long as its performance tanks to the levels of the modern quad-core CPUs compared to the current flagships.
Power consumption, heat dissipation and overall TCO is important. Because the Intel CPUs require more expensive power supplies, more expensive water cooling units, more expensive noise dampened cases, etc. They are just unpleasant to own.

What a complete load of rubbish.
Why even post this, you know its pathetic and you know people will call you out on it.

OP if you buy now a 12700k is probably your best bet.
It should (as well as we can guess) last you years and by the time you are ready to upgrade the cpu you will probably be better off buying a new motherboard to take advantage of whatever new standards there are.
An AMD 5900x is also a good choice but I think the 2700k is better right now.

Saying that if you can wait (and its going to be the end of the year) the AM5 platform should (again we are guessing) provide an excellent platform to build on.

Caporegime
Oh troll somewhere else.

Watts per performance AL does extremely well.

His whole thing on here is quickly searching for the first article he can link without fully understanding it. He cherry picks one area and this must be the case for everyone using that platform.

I've told him before, I'm happy to show him how well my 12700k performs against his 5900x at the same wattage.

Soldato
+1. I am also with the 12-core Ryzen 9 5900X and I think it will last as long as its performance tanks to the levels of the modern quad-core CPUs compared to the current flagships.
Power consumption, heat dissipation and overall TCO is important. Because the Intel CPUs require more expensive power supplies, more expensive water cooling units, more expensive noise dampened cases, etc. They are just unpleasant to own.
Why would anybody listen to the nonsense you often spout as you don't even know the difference between resolution and FOV and refuse to admit when you get things wrong - we're still waiting for a response from you in this thread here.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35111565

The 12700K hardly requires any more expense than a 5900X. It definitely doesn't require more expensive water cooling or any kind of cooling than the 5900X, nor noise dampened case etc. They are not unpleasant to own, that is just an idiotic statement.

They should probably edit the title and opening post then, otherwise it is just another spec me thread. :)
To be fair to the OP, he probably isn't a techie nerd like some of us, so when we see the word 'future proof' we understand it to more mean 'upgradability'. He obviously just means something that will last a long time and will run the things he uses for as long as possible without him having to change anything - including the CPU. ;)

In that vein, he should get the fastest possible, reasonably priced CPU/Motherboard within his budget. The 12700K is a fair bit faster than the 5900x in single threaded and is also slightly faster in multithreaded.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Chaps, may I recommend that you put users on ignore instead of mud-slinging? Thanks

Soldato
Chaps, may I recommend that you put users on ignore instead of mud-slinging? Thanks
Good advice, though a problem with that is if certain people give objectively false advice and it is ignored or not countered then there is a chance that a less informed individual might follow said advice to their detriment.

Though your point about maintaining civility is definitely correct. ;)

Soldato
I think the 12700k is regarded as the best CPU right now for gaming if you ignore the 12900k which offers barely any better performance and doesn't justify the higher price tag, this time last year it was the 5800X / 5900X and by the end of this year it will either the 13700k or a new Zen4 chip.

Future proofing is about not having to upgrade in the future as a good chip bought now should last 5 years without the need for upgrades.

Associate
I think the 12700k is regarded as the best CPU right now for gaming if you ignore the 12900k which offers barely any better performance and doesn't justify the higher price tag, this time last year it was the 5800X / 5900X and by the end of this year it will either the 13700k or a new Zen4 chip.

Future proofing is about not having to upgrade in the future as a good chip bought now should last 5 years without the need for upgrades.
It isn't bad thing to have option for upgrade. RPL will be last cpu for that platform, while Zen 4 will be first one so it will have at least 2 more upgrade options, and if they have similar performance and price, upgrade option is bonus that will decide who is winner.

Associate
There isn't such a thing as a future proof cpu. Amd/Intel launch a new cpu then a few months down the line its deemed obsolete! Intels lga1700 platform will probably see you thru a few years but zen4 is almost here so you could wait to compare performance/price. Bit I'm guessing Intel will make a comeback with something new if the new ryzens smash alder Lake! But you definitely should wait till zen4.

Associate
I've always found that just getting the top model around at the time gives the most longevity. The times I buy a compromise CPU thinking to upgrade later it always leads to more cost and time in the end.

I also think the 16 core 5950X will stay relevant for a long long time and that's what I went with myself so that I don't have to think about changing in years. Unless you're a real power user then 16 cores is going to be fine even for the 8-9 years or so you mention.

Your 32GB of ram might need the upgrade in that timeframe however.

Associate
Hey all,

What would be a good future proof CPU to buy atm? Or at least a future proof architecture?

I have read that new AMD is on the way so is really the option probably an intel 1200/1700?

Current one (i7-5820k) has lasted me very well over the years so would hope to buy something that would do my the same job.

Thank you.

It really depends on your main usage. If it's gaming at high resolutions then buying a decent CPU today will last many years.

As has already been mentioned, AMD generally provide more life in their platforms. Intel tend to be one cpu generation per motherboard chipset.

Soldato
I tend to keep a CPU for five years or more, and I can certainly see my 12700K at 5.1/4.0 all core lasting that long at least.

My PC's main focus these days is as a gaming, and home machine, and it barely gets stressed.

Soldato
A future proof cpu,ummmm...... Well it all depends what you use it for.

For me, Ive had my i7, 6core cpu running at 4.9ghz on all cores for 3-4yrs now and it will hopefully last quite a few more yrs.. As I dont do much gaming any more or use cpu stress related apps. The cpu spends most of the time running at 800mhz nowadays:D

2K6vLXc.png

Last edited:
Associate
Future-proofing, as far as you're able to do it is pretty simple. Buy the best version of the latest tech that you can afford. At the moment that would be Intel, in a few months' time, you will have more of a choice.

Caporegime
Buy a 12700 today or wait till Zen 4. Intel's Alder Lake CPU's are the best out there at the moment. Likely wont be once Zen 4 comes out.

Wouldnt bother going AM4 now if you are needing a new motherboard too. Either go Intel 1700 and have likely one upgrade path to Raptor Lake, or wait till Zen 4.

I imagine a 12700 (locked/K/KF whatever) will last you a good while to be honest for almost any task you wish to use it for, and it wont break the bank either. I mean if you look out for deals, even the K chips can be had for near £300 sometimes.

Don't listen to the post about needing expensive power supplies/cooling etc. Thats rubbish. Im running my 12700KF (at stock) on a £25 Arctic 34 esports cooler just fine!

Last edited:
Soldato
Something around Intel’s Alder Lake absolutely stinks.

It pulls a crap ton of power, runs stupidly hot, but don’t worry these things aren’t a concern - just buy one because it’s faster in some applications vs Ryzen.

Aye right then..

Caporegime
Something around Intel’s Alder Lake absolutely stinks.

It pulls a crap ton of power, runs stupidly hot, but don’t worry these things aren’t a concern - just buy one because it’s faster in some applications vs Ryzen.

Aye right then..

If you leave everything at stock and run Cinebench 24/7 then maybe.

My 12700k is on a +2 pcore profile and ticks along just fine @ 1.2v. Sits around 50c in CPU intensive games and the power draw is nowhere near "a crap ton of power".

Soldato
If you leave everything at stock and run Cinebench 24/7 then maybe.

My 12700k is on a +2 pcore profile and ticks along just fine @ 1.2v. Sits around 50c in CPU intensive games and the power draw is nowhere near "a crap ton of power".

Have been weighing up the options, my old man needs a new workstation for after effects. Seems the Alder Lake chips are great for gaming but sustained rendering not so much 90c+. Can only imagine what it’d be like sitting in the same room as that during the summer months.

Caporegime
Have been weighing up the options, my old man needs a new workstation for after effects. Seems the Alder Lake chips are great for gaming but sustained rendering not so much 90c+. Can only imagine what it’d be like sitting in the same room as that during the summer months.

It would be more like 70-80c with a bit of tweaking, I'd imagine. The issue is that a lot of Z690 boards are very excessive in their auto-voltage, with some applying 1.3v+. I've seen people manage to run stock clocks on their 12900k at just 1.1v.

This guy has a video where he manages to shave 93 watts off peak system power with an undervolt while also achieving better performance than stock:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom