A good reason not to holiday in Turkey?

Soldato
I think your being a little bit short sighted. Plenty of countries around the world won't serve certain foods, for a multitude of reasons.

I had the best food of my life in Bali on our Honeymoon, absolutely incredible. They only served "western dishes" a handful of times in the entire two weeks, something which I saw as a good thing !

When I went to Turkey a few years ago the food was fine, I wasn't in a great place as it was a cheap n cheerful get in the sun for a week holiday. It was mainly nondescript meat (cat/dog?) with rice/pasta/potatoes and salad. It was fine, but not much more than that. I'd imagine if you were in a better place it would be much nicer :)

Associate
So, last night i was looking at holidays and whilst researching on tripadvisor about one particular hotel in turkey i read a comment about no pork products being served (it's an all inclusive hotel) and i was aghast. I thought even though it's a muslim country surely they would do so as the vast majority of tourists are going to be international and would like to eat pork.

As a result I immediately struck this hotel and potentially the whole of Turkey from any holiday considerations. The thought of going for two weeks with no porky goodness is a deeply disturbing one, I LOVE bacon and a holiday breakfast without any would be a very sad one indeed.

What are others thoughts? Deeply shallow and petty or justified?

Please consider that i have been to Turkey several times before as a child, though not at an all inclusive hotel, and all i'm looking for in a holiday is somewhere nice and hot where i can eat, drink and vegetate.

Are you a bit of a porker?

Soldato
A thread about test-tube bacon and a thread abusing having bacon on holiday on the first page, I feel physically sick :p

I travel all over and still manage to have a decent bacon on something at least once a week :p

Room service even does bacon and mushroom croissant, hmm!

Man of Honour
All inclusive, stay at home.

Why do people like all, inclusive.
Would hate to stay in the same complex all day. Go see things, go try local restaraunts.

Man of Honour
I found the attitudes of a lot of the men towards the women I was with the be much more irritating than the lack of a food I can eat every day at home.

Associate
OP
Are you a bit of a porker?

A couple of stone overweight, nothing ridiculous. Do i have to be a massive fatty to enjoy food?

All inclusive, stay at home.

Why do people like all, inclusive.
Would hate to stay in the same complex all day. Go see things, go try local restaraunts.

Because I am lazy, sometimes when i have a holiday all i want to do is eat, drink, read and relax, I do a few trips and might venture into the local town a couple of times. I work hard all year round and feel that i deserve some time to do nothing in. You may disagree and that's your choice, however, All inclusives are tremendously popular so there are many people that like to do the same as I.

StoutMeister said:
Bring the rashers in your suitcase and let them slow cook them on a radiator in your room.

Good thinking that man, this is the kind of ingenious response i was hoping for.

To be honest, everyone seems to have taken this thread far more seriously than i had intended. I thought i was going to have people laugh and take the wee out of me, alas i am now pitied and judged. I think i will sob into my bacon sandwich and wipe my tears away with some wafer ham.

Last edited:
Associate
Why would you go to Turkey to do these things though, you could do all of that at home and save yourself a truck load of money in the process.

Seriously go and explore the country it has so many beautiful things to see, for example Pamukkale and Cappadocia.

Soldato
Stupid issues aside Turkey was great when I visited, wonderfully "less-western" if that makes sense; than pan-European ideals for example. Have fun. :D

Associate
Worked for a week in Izmir in Turkey last year, got told by our hosts not to go to any place with "Night" or "Club" in the name.

First night, me and friends go into the Chix Club and the Malaga Night club.

What has been seen/done cannot be unseen/undone. :(

Other than that it was really enjoyable. :) Enjoy your time there.

Soldato
Worked for a week in Izmir in Turkey last year, got told by our hosts not to go to any place with "Night" or "Club" in the name.

First night, me and friends go into the Chix Club and the Malaga Night club.

What has been seen/done cannot be unseen/undone. :(

Other than that it was really enjoyable. :) Enjoy your time there.

Some Clerks 2 esque wrong-ness?

All I have heard about Turkey are good things. My Mother used to go there once a year before her brain injury & would just go no and on about it.

We are seeing about getting her then again to see if it helps with her memory.

Associate
It never quite got that far, but there was some wrong moments. :p

I also got a baby albino rabbit placed on my palm to read my fortune, the owner of the rabbit walked off for 10 minutes and returned asking for 20 euros.

I had no idea what to do with this baby rabbit trembling in my hand.

Back
Top Bottom