A good reason not to holiday in Turkey?

Associate
All inclusive, stay at home.
Why do people like all, inclusive.
Would hate to stay in the same complex all day. Go see things, go try local restaraunts.

When we went to Turkey last time we went AI, didn't stop us eating out a fair few times though, AI is a handy backup for the times you can't be bothered/too tired. We also went AI to the Maldives, not that many different places to go and eat out when your on an island!

Soldato
Ahleckz said:
I think that going to a foreign country and eating what you would at home is very depressing and shortsighted.

I totally agree. And I think people have misunderstood you on here. I know what you mean exactly - youre on about those people who go on holiday and watch Eastenders, go to a pub to get a pub-meal and then to the Brit grocery store on the corner to get pies. Nothign wrong with doing it once or twice. But Ive got mates who go on 14-day vacations and live on UK grocery store and pub-food. Why do they go at all lol.

I have friends like this and I made it clear to them that I did not want to offend them by saying this but I just had to ask since I was genuinely intrigued. If thats what makes them happy then cool - its their life :). Apart from just one couple I was actually pleasantly surprised at the response I got: the rest of them agreed with me! They said it hadn't even crossed their minds to try and experience some of the culture of the country they were visiting & to get off the tourist trail for a bit. They plan to do so next time.

The other couple said there was no way in hell they would eat "crap local food" and that they did not "trust" it and couldnt live without Eastenders, football and pies. In fact they have been going to the same hotel on the same Greek island for the last 8 years and have not been anywhere else!

Last edited:
Soldato
I try my best, but both times i went to Thailand we ended up eating a full English and KFC towards the end of the trip.. guess too much of the local cuisine can get boring lol. Can't say much for Amsterdam or Canada.. i'm guessing McDees, KFC, BK etc.. IS the local cuisine :D Well, apart from the 'cakes' in Amsterdam.. but try eating that for a week :eek:

Soldato
I'm forever hearing reasons not to visit Turkey, my other half is completely against ever having a holiday there but no pork for the brits? OMG, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???????

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
What happens if you go on an all-inclusive holiday somewhere else and just by coincidence none of those inclusive restaurants are serving pork of any kind? I'm not sure I'd even realise.

Last edited:
Suspended
Go to Turkey. It is a truly wonderful country with the friendliest people. I recommend Kas, though if you are the type of person who prefers drinking beer in a bar all day watching football on holiday, please don't go there.

Especially friendly people if you're a woman.... very friendly indeed. Extremely friendly. Almost annoyingly so, it seems! :p

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Hated Turkey when i was there 3 years ago - tacky, seedy night life and during the day all they want to do is swizz you out of your cash at any opportunity. Some little urchin tried to sell me a dandelion as a flower, then called me "tight arse" when i said no? Cant stand the place.

Soldato
I'm forever hearing reasons not to visit Turkey, my other half is completely against ever having a holiday there but no pork for the brits? OMG, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???????

I suggested Turkey as a destination for a holiday with my girlfriend this summer. She was totally against the idea as well. It's a shame, as I'm sure it's a beautiful and rewarding place.
Shall we just go instead? ;)

Soldato
Hated Turkey when i was there 3 years ago - tacky, seedy night life and during the day all they want to do is swizz you out of your cash at any opportunity. Some little urchin tried to sell me a dandelion as a flower, then called me "tight arse" when i said no? Cant stand the place.

Pretty much my opinion of Turkey too - been once, never again!

The hotel was so incompetent they couldn't actually serve food hot, (every breakfast meat was between lukewarm and cold) - when asked for a simple 'cheese and tomato pizza' from the hotel manager (the guy making the pizzas just piled the same load of stuff on every pizza) he managed to bring out several tomatos chopped in half, with cheese on them. :confused:

And as for the locals, they're the most annoying, irritating, punch-worthy people I've ever had the misfortune to meet!

Heaven forbid you show a passing interest in ANYTHING they have for sale, I had to physically take more than 1 hand off myself to remove myself from shopkeepers vicinity, never mind wearing an all inclusive armband yet being pestered EVERY walk to the beach, or walk around town by every single restaurant staff member, sometimes twice per restaurant.

Never again.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
I respect other peoples cultures when I am away in their countries.

I expect the same when they come here.

Caporegime
Went last year (Alanya) and thought it was lovely, if a bit humid.

252049_10150751135945195_773185194_20668763_2384521_n.jpg

Man of Honour
Especially friendly people if you're a woman.... very friendly indeed. Extremely friendly. Almost annoyingly so, it seems! :p

To the point of pushing me towards violence, on more than one occasion! There's only so many dirty little comments you can take when they're talking to your 15yr old sister :mad:

Soldato
My 2 brothers went to some very nice all inclusive holiday resorts in Turkey. I’ve never seen so much food and booze (pictures they have showed me) in an all-inclusive holiday. They actually went there multiple times and never complained.

Back
Top Bottom