• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A Week With NVIDIA's G-SYNC Monitor

The real heart of the story though is the actual experience of playing games and the real-world changes it makes to how I gamed over the last couple of days. To be quite upfront, the difference between a G-Sync enabled system and a V-Sync disabled experience is night and day. You will be able to see your full frame rate and full graphics card performance on your monitor at 1080p without any of the entirely distracting horizontal tearing that having V-Sync disabled has always produced.

It's funny to me now how accepting we were to this horrible artifacting that V-sync disabled gaming presented. We assumed this was something we HAD TO HAVE. It was the best of two evils, if you will, between V-Sync on and V-Sync off. NVIDIA's creation of G-Sync proves that this isn't the case, and across a half dozen games over the last 36 hours I was able to see how gaming SHOULD be and can be.

My short time with the NVIDIA G-Sync prototype display has been truly impressive, and getting some play time in with Battlefield 4, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and even some good old Battlefield 3 was awesome. Even from someone watching over my shoulder as I played Crysis 3 (a game with which they were greatly familiar) there was an immediate "awe-factor" from the smoothness and feel of "speed" in the movement. Bioshock Infinite was a game that suffered from some of the most horrendous horizontal tearing in my first play through, but with G-Sync enabled I was able to keep a smooth frame rate without any of that artifacting.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...eview-and-First-Impressions/First-Impressions

I am surprised you don't have one? Seen a few e-tailers and Reviewers have theirs?

Awaiting a response from Asus, still no confirmation of the £450 price tag from them.

BenQ much better pricing, talking about £50-£80 more than current BenQ 24" and 27" gaming models which is much better than the rumoured £150 more on the Asus panel, just a shame they won't have them as soon.

I will also stick to my guns and say that for £450, I am sorry I will take a Dell 27" IPS or a 24" Eizo 240Hz IPS anyday over a 24" TN at that price irrelevant of it having G-Sync, built in coffee machine or whatever.

How much would the price need to change for you to change your mind? As widely speculated that the touted £450 price tag is wide of the mark, especially looking at US retail pricing of ~$400.

How much would the price need to change for you to change your mind? As widely speculated that the touted £450 price tag is wide of the mark, especially looking at US retail pricing of ~$400.

24" 144Hz 1ms with G-Sync @ £299
27" 144Hz 1ms with G-Sync @ £359

That in my eyes would be fair but I'd still be buying a 27" IPS of some description to be honest.

For me the perfect G-Sync would be a 2560x1440 IPS panel with it, that in my book would be worth £500-£600.

depends how desperate you are to get that 1440... the first few screens coming out look to all be 1080p (which makes sense as they sell the most) and that's through to Feb at least, so 1440's are going to be at least april onwards by the sounds of things

24" 144Hz 1ms with G-Sync @ £299
27" 144Hz 1ms with G-Sync @ £359

That in my eyes would be fair but I'd still be buying a 27" IPS of some description to be honest.

For me the perfect G-Sync would be a 2560x1440 IPS panel with it, that in my book would be worth £500-£600.

If we're extremely lucky real pricing may not be far off that as $400 = ~£245 + 20% takes us right up to that £300 mark, but obviously we have the '**** you you're British pay an extra 50%' tax on top.

anandtech has posted a video to showcase the differences:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAzRHVXaaV0

i can't say ive experienced the stuttering shown here with v-sync on, not sure if this is because i use triple buffering (forced with dx3doverride)?

I find it strange that almost nobody commented that the vsync and vsync off samples in this video looked far worse then in reality. To me this is a typical marketing video where the "alternatives" are shown far worse than they really are just to make the "new awsum stuff" look even better. in all honesty I would never put up with the experience on either of the non G-Sync modes. I have yet to experience such poor stuttering that coudln't be cured with profile tweaks. Of course the reduced input lag cannot be gauged from videos. For me personally input lag has never been a bother as long as it is acceptable.

It might be a case that seeing is believing but right now, looking at marketing videos is not selling me on this tech at all.

Last edited:
They did comment. In this thread anyway. Wasn't sure if you meant specifically on the video or on here. :p

My comment.

"I find it strange that almost nobody commented"

I did read some comments about it but most ignored the obvious elephant in the room. With decent profiles none and I mean none of my games stutter and hitch the way those non-gsync samples did in that video. I didn't think wow g-sync looks great, I thought why does the other two samples look so bad. That's when the marketing BS 'O' meter kicked in.

G-sync is looking like one of these need to try to see what the fuss is about technologies. IMHO if it is as great as the early reviews say it is then a free open source version will be available before long.

Last edited:
As has been stated many times, the camera itself will be out of sync with the screens being shot, even the gsync screen stutters a little because its out of sync with the camera, in real life all 3 of the screens would look better than in the video

it is like shooting/viewing 4k screens on 1080p cameras/screens and then saying you cant see the benefit of 4k

Back
Top Bottom