Acer Predator CG437K P - 43", 4K, 144Hz, HDR-1000

Associate
Is it the same panel as the Asus? Still keeping my hopes that it will have RGB and not BGR. Just need one big screen that i can do gaming but also office and programming work, means i need to be able to read the text without issues.

Associate
Is it the same panel as the Asus? Still keeping my hopes that it will have RGB and not BGR. Just need one big screen that i can do gaming but also office and programming work, means i need to be able to read the text without issues.

There's another different site forum thread regarding these and why they were built that way. Historically for tvs as these are large panels. It seems very likely this will be BGR due to the manufacturing process.

I hope to be wrong though. This would have been an awesome monitor for one of my workstations.

Soldato
OP

It is a variant of the same panel, but the BGR is related to the way it's mounted... i.e upside down. If mounted the correct way, it would be RGB. But as Azrael says, this has long been the way of assembly for larger TV's, so I don't know if there's any chance the CG437K will be any different to the XG438Q in this regard. The only hope may in the higher price tag, which is certainly not justified just for a brighter backlight, but may be because of extra costs in incurred in ensuring it's RGB. Long shot, but you've got to find a glimmer of hope somewhere amidst the doom and gloom of the PC monitor market lol! :D

Associate
It is a variant of the same panel, but the BGR is related to the way it's mounted... i.e upside down. If mounted the correct way, it would be RGB. But as Azrael says, this has long been the way of assembly for larger TV's, so I don't know if there's any chance the CG437K will be any different to the XG438Q in this regard. The only hope may in the higher price tag, which is certainly not justified just for a brighter backlight, but may be because of extra costs in incurred in ensuring it's RGB. Long shot, but you've got to find a glimmer of hope somewhere amidst the doom and gloom of the PC monitor market lol! :D

Hehe definitelly i am have hopes everyyear to get a good monitor and the end result is i am still on a 24inch LG from 2007 if i recall :p

Associate

Based on this (https://www.displayninja.com/new-monitors/) I believe it is a different panel from the same manufacturer. So it almost certainly has BGR subpixels.

My advice is, do not worry about the BGR subpixels. RGB-antialiased text on a BGR panel does not look not that bad, and if it bothers you, is mostly solvable by changing registry settings in Windows. I say "mostly" solvable because some applications do not honor the ClearType settings correctly and will render RGB-antialiased text anyway. But I say again, it does not look that bad. I genuinely did not even notice it was wrong in Thunderbird on my BGR panel until about a month ago when I looked very closely. Even knowing it is wrong, I don't really care.

Asus XG438Q has an entirely unrelated problem which creates much worse text rendering artifacts. It is like a bit of a vertical blurring that can't be turned off. I have documented it extensively in a few reddit threads and in a thread on level1techs. I believe what happened is the first few reviewers to notice the Asus XG438Q text rendering problem blamed it incorrectly on the BGR subpixel layout. From that point on, everyone googling the monitor's rendering problems finds this misleading information and believes that the BGR subpixel layout is responsible for much worse rendering problems than it actually is.

I have used several 39-43 inch 4K panels with BGR subpixels and I don't even notice if the subpixel antialiasing is set wrong unless I look very closely for the specific artifacts this creates. So I do not believe people should be overly concerned about the subpixel layout of the Acer Predator CG437K. Be concerned instead about whether it has the same vertical blurring problem that the XG438Q has.

Last edited:
Associate
I'll never buy a monitor full price ever again. TVs all the way now. My Philips HDR 1000 I bought for £700 sold for £350.....It just wasn't good enough. This monitor seems similar. Probably same panel.

Yeah, funny enough, a lot of 43 inch TVs make better monitors for less money than a real 43 inch "monitor". There are a few irritating things though. On-screen advertising and menus get annoying, and TVs don't like to shut themselves off very quickly when the video source goes away.

I am very happy with my LG 43UD79-B, however it is honestly not much different from a TV that could have cost $100-200 less.

Associate
Yeah, funny enough, a lot of 43 inch TVs make better monitors for less money than a real 43 inch "monitor". There are a few irritating things though. On-screen advertising and menus get annoying, and TVs don't like to shut themselves off very quickly when the video source goes away.

I am very happy with my LG 43UD79-B, however it is honestly not much different from a TV that could have cost $100-200 less.

I am honestly looking also for a TV instead of a monitor but the issue in the 40-43 inch size of tvs, is that they are missing tech compared to the 50 or 55 inch equivalent models. Or no freesync/ g-sync and only 60hz. I am on 60hz anyway so it wouldn't be much of a deal but i never played on 120 or 144hz to know what it is like. The biggest for me issue is that they all are glossy and not matt.

Although i will probably get one and then swap it for a monitor when the right monitor comes and use the tv in the bedroom. I was eyeing the Panasonic tx40-g800b, has really good input lag and good features, but a bit expensive for what it is. Main reason for this one is because its the only 40 inch tv that has nice specs. Plus it would fit my desk with not many adjustments vs a 43 inch tv or monitor.

Associate
Just an update been reading this on the other forums and apparently the initial shipment in Australia has sold out but was released last week or last month ( I am tired at the moment ). Someone has contacted Acer support and the Acer is BGR and also does NOT have Display Stream Compression. It also has 16 dimming zones.

Sounds a lot like the Asus eh but higher brightness for HDR.

Associate
On their official site and specs

1 - This device is designed to support refresh rate overclocking which may result in system instability. If unstable, reduce the overclock to a lower refresh rate through the on-screen display settings. User must connect two 1.4 DisplayPort cables to a capable device to achieve 144Hz overclock setting.
2 - 1ms VRB value based on internal tests under specific test conditions. Level of brightness may vary as a result of Visual Response Boost™ mode in use.
3 - Only 60Hz refresh rate possible via USB Type-C.

Soldato
Didn't Acer advertise the 144hz version as having DSC though? Bit odd if it hasn't shipped with it...

Acer only ever had a 144Hz version (CG437K P as covered in this thread) and as far as I'm aware never advertised or mentioned DSC. ASUS has the XG438Q (120Hz) and upcoming XG27UQ (144Hz + DSC).

Last edited:
Soldato
On their official site and specs

1 - This device is designed to support refresh rate overclocking which may result in system instability. If unstable, reduce the overclock to a lower refresh rate through the on-screen display settings. User must connect two 1.4 DisplayPort cables to a capable device to achieve 144Hz overclock setting.
2 - 1ms VRB value based on internal tests under specific test conditions. Level of brightness may vary as a result of Visual Response Boost™ mode in use.
3 - Only 60Hz refresh rate possible via USB Type-C.

Big problem. You can't do HDR with 2 inputs. So no nice backlight if you want high frame rate.

Back
Top Bottom