Acer Predator XB271HU - upgrade to the XB270HU

Soldato
Someone at work was going to order this through that other website with four letters and they've been told over the phone that a batch headed for the UK has been recalled/held back for a firmware update and they gave eta mid March.

Although there website still says 25/02 if you hover over preorder.

Associate
Someone at work was going to order this through that other website with four letters and they've been told over the phone that a batch headed for the UK has been recalled/held back for a firmware update and they gave eta mid March.

Although there website still says 25/02 if you hover over preorder.

If this is true then I'd assume the same goes for OCUK as well.

I'm not waiting another month for it so might take another swing at the PG279Q.

Mobster
Soldato
At a certain level, monitor reviews have become meaningless. Sure, they tell you whether the monitor is actually any good or not, but your chance of actually getting one that exemplary has become very much a lottery. Does this happen with ANY other component?? Nope. Just look at the XB270HU, PG279Q, X34 and no doubt the upcoming PG348Q and XB271HU (the list is much longer I'm sure)... you'll struggle to find a bad review anywhere, but is that in any way reflective of the quality of product being sold? Not remotely. Sad times indeed. :(

I agree about review sites. They are certainly not going to send them any old monitor to review - these sites will get the golden samples.

We'll get what were given.

Soldato
Very mixed bag in terms of quality based on other forums with the US owners reporting on what they've got... some really bad bleed, some nearly perfect. The lottery continues it would seem...! :eek:

Associate
I received this monitor from OCUK yesterday morning, and it looks absolutely fantastic! Been too busy playing games the rest of the evening to do some proper tests on it, but can take a photo of an all black image to check for BLB tonight.

Edit: Ran through the R G B pixel test, no dead/stuck pixels. Full screen black image and no discernable black light bleed (except for a very very minor amount near the power button) otherwise it's just the usual IPS glow. December 2015 build from the label on the side. Fanastic work OCUK! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I received this monitor from OCUK yesterday morning, and it looks absolutely fantastic! Been too busy playing games the rest of the evening to do some proper tests on it, but can take a photo of an all black image to check for BLB tonight.

Edit: Ran through the R G B pixel test, no dead/stuck pixels. Full screen black image and no discernable black light bleed (except for a very very minor amount near the power button) otherwise it's just the usual IPS glow. December 2015 build from the label on the side. Fanastic work OCUK! :D

Should that not be fantastic work Acer ?

OCUK just sold it you.;)

Soldato
I agree about review sites. They are certainly not going to send them any old monitor to review - these sites will get the golden samples.

We'll get what were given.

That's not strictly true. I've received many review samples that are less than perfect. If you're talking about Acer, specifically, I just reviewed an XR341CK for them that had clearly been 'around the block' (i.e. sent to lots of other reviewers) a fair bit. Backlight uniformity was certainly not perfect. And when it comes to uniformity, there is absolutely no way that a company can guarantee that will stay strong even if it is initially.

So I speak from experience when I say that no, it is not the case at all that reviewers get sent 'golden samples'. I can see why people would think that, but I'm sure Baddass can also confirm that it doesn't work out like that in practice.

Soldato
That's not strictly true. I've received many review samples that are less than perfect. If you're talking about Acer, specifically, I just reviewed an XR341CK for them that had clearly been 'around the block' (i.e. sent to lots of other reviewers) a fair bit. Backlight uniformity was certainly not perfect. And when it comes to uniformity, there is absolutely no way that a company can guarantee that will stay strong even if it is initially.

So I speak from experience when I say that no, it is not the case at all that reviewers get sent 'golden samples'. I can see why people would think that, but I'm sure Baddass can also confirm that it doesn't work out like that in practice.

You could by really cynical and say only the review sources that Acer deem important get the good stuff....... ;)

Soldato
You could by really cynical and say only the review sources that Acer deem important get the good stuff....... ;)

Acer only provide samples to sources that they deem 'important', so that makes no sense whatsoever. :)

Also when you say 'get' it shows another dose of potential ignorance of how this all works. Review samples are circulated amongst reviewers, we don't get to keep them at the end.

Last edited:
Soldato
For the majority of review sites, I should imagine there's also a perceived need to look at the merits of the monitor and give less focus on 'features' such as bleed, which could be easily dismissed by the reviewer as non-indicative quality control issues that the end user may or may not encounter on their sample. Otherwise said reviewer may gradually find their review samples drying up until their site has nothing left to review and the advertising revenue drops to zero.

At least that's my impression from reading many sites, and not just on monitors. I seem to recall AMD withholding a sample of the Fury X from Hexus (iirc) over what was considered to be bad press.

Soldato
I can't speak for all reviewers, but I am perfectly happy to critique any weaknesses in a product that I come across. And the manufacturers actually find critical feedback extremely useful as well. Reviewing isn't just a one way process. At least that is certainly the relationship I have with the manufacturers and PR companies who I work with and both sides are quite happy with that. And so is the user, who is really the most important part of all of this.

Associate
Well this monitor arrived last night and Zero back light bleed no dead/stuck pixels :)

Honestly i expected to send it back since i thought this would be a lottery just like asus so i am pleasantly surprised that it wasn't ^_^

Last edited:
Associate
Ordered this monitor last Saturday and arrived on Sunday.

There seems to be a spec of dust under the screen or its a small group of stuck pixels, its hard to tell because its pale greyish in color.

There is also 1 dead pixel right in the dam middle of the screen, if it was anywhere else it would have been fine. But just my luck its right in the middle..

Coming from Samsung TN panels I haven't had problems with BLB.

There seems to be some BLB on the bottom right and top of the screen:

Brightness @ 25

dUbWIFp.jpg

Brightness @ 100

ytUuqm1.jpg

Im not sure if this is considered good/ acceptable?

Reading the other overclock forum, there have been reports that suggest the BLB does fade after some use.
Since I've got 14 days before I can return/exchange I will wait it out a few more days and see how it goes.

Manufacture date shows DEC 2015.

Associate
Well I got mine today and well.... FINALLY I have a decent monitor. practically ZERO backlight bleed, no dirt or dust stuck in the screen and no dead pixels. Even the uniformity is good, not perfect mind you but as close as you are going to get with a non professional art display.

Seriously though... 11 panel lottery tickets since March 2015 and now I think I finally have my winner.

So yeah... about damn time. :D

*dances around the room*

Back
Top Bottom