Acer XB270HU - Worlds First IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gsync

Associate
OP
freesync will put pressure on Nvidia to bring out better graphics cards very soon, as gsync has mad a lot of people move to Nvidia now that freesync is coming if Nvidia brings out more top end GPUs even more people will move again

Soldato
I dont think freesync will, nvidia already have faster cards than AMD, they need to pull their finger out and get faster cards on the shelves, then nvidia will respond

Caporegime
There are quite a few games about that wont run 144hz solid at 1440p regardless of hardware :D
Hence why gsync is such a bonus.
A few guys I game with on here have similar gpu setups as mine but own swifts. In bf4 a game that you wont get a steady 144 fps on with max settings, they state that the difference gsync makes is fantastic compared to a standard monitor.

Soldato
A Gsync IPS panel in March, that's really good :) Can't wait in fact. If it turns out good and is a better screen than the Freesync one I might sell up my 290 and switch back to Nvidia.

Soldato
A few guys I game with on here have similar gpu setups as mine but own swifts. In bf4 a game that you wont get a steady 144 fps on with max settings, they state that the difference gsync makes is fantastic compared to a standard monitor.

Stay above 40fps with gsync the rest doesn't matter :)

Soldato
A Gsync IPS panel in March, that's really good :) Can't wait in fact. If it turns out good and is a better screen than the Freesync one I might sell up my 290 and switch back to Nvidia.

Yah i've been waiting for Freesync in the hopes of 1440p screen but if this Acer turns out to be as good as we all hope I may have to reconsider. Depends how much this thing ends up costing tho.

Associate
Don't think it's mentioned yet but doesn't ips type displays have poor input lag?, so may still not be as fast as a TN panel of the same spec, also seems the 8 bit TN's have pretty good colour's too know so not sure it's going to be the massive jump hoped for..

Caporegime
Nice! :cool: Going to cost an absolute fortune though! If the swift was £800 to start of at, I dread to imagine what this will be :eek: Saying that, this isn't an ASUS ROG product so who knows, it might very well be a bit cheaper...... :p

Good to see that there will be more panel choice for gsync than just TN panels.

I would love 144HZ but the only problem is, for the majority of games especially ones coming out this year, there is no way I could maintain a constant 100+ FPS with ultra/high settings on just one card (never want to go dual GPU, support for it is too **** + don't want the extra heat etc.)

Personally I rather have excellent motion clarity + excellent blacks/contrast ratio over 144HZ

Hope we see some VA freesync/gsync choice too as well as more 21.9 monitors.

edit:

Don't think it's mentioned yet but doesn't ips type displays have poor input lag?, so may still not be as fast as a TN panel of the same spec, also seems the 8 bit TN's have pretty good colour's too know so not sure it's going to be the massive jump hoped for..

Input lag is a non issue for the majority of IPS screens today, I have no issues with my LG 29um65 in FPS MP games and topping the leaderboards.

There is more to the panels than just the 8, 6 etc. bit. TN still has awful contrast shift, viewing angles (of course these two things won't be an issue if you are sitting heads on at all times) and the general image quality/colours still aren't as good as newer IPS screens.

Last edited:
Soldato

Just to reinforce the points above. Although traditionally the case, that's not a problem any more. It's not an inherent limitation of the technology. Many 1920 x 1080 IPS-type monitors have extremely low input lag (virtually no signal delay at all). The higher resolution models generally but don't always have moderate input lag, but the same can go for TN models. The latency of this upcoming model could well be excellent. :)

And colour depth has very little to do with overall colour representation on modern monitors. An 8-bit TN panel is still subject to the same colour consistency and viewing angle limitations as a 6-bit + FRC model. Likewise 6-bit + FRC IPS-types generally have very consistent colours with a rich look at all points of the screen. Most users don't notice the effects of dithering as modern dithering algorithms are excellent. It's really not an issue for the general user and is just another one of those marketing tools (added to the 1ms response times, dynamic contrast ratios and other rubbish).

Last edited:
Associate
freesync will put pressure on Nvidia to bring out better graphics cards very soon, as gsync has mad a lot of people move to Nvidia now that freesync is coming if Nvidia brings out more top end GPUs even more people will move again

I don't think Freesync or G-sync would put pressure on GPUs' direction, apart from tempting customers to buy a monitor with such a technology and therefore buying enough graphics power to cater for it. But Crossfire and SLI already give an option for ultimate high-end GPU power, so it's more like AMD with Freesync and nVidia with G-sync are driving up demand, trying to get more people to buy more of their current GPUs.

On the other hand, Freesync (/Adaptive sync) will put pressure on nVidia to make G-sync stay attractive to consumers. This can be attained by positioning G-sync monitors at competitive price points, and the main driver for this from nVidia's POV is by decreasing the licensing fees. Currently there's no competition, but because the Freesync is looming above, nVidia is in a hurry to milk the market, with price premiums.

Alternative approach for nVidia would be to price cut their GPUs, and via the chain-effect keep G-sync support more ubiquitous. But that would cut their GPU department's profit margin, which is actually the opposite of what they want to achieve.

Also, because of the niche status of G-sync (which is no small part driven by its own high premium price), I wouldn't say G-sync has made people move to nVidia side. Instead, nVidia has gained more customers because their GPU cards are technologically more advanced (better efficiency and power, less heat, etc.). This has left AMD to fight with price, to compensate.

Furthermore, I don't see how Freesync would push people towards nVidia, wouldn't it be the other way around? Indeed, Freesync will (assuming there's not a hefty price premium, like there is with G-sync) entice people to move to AMD's ranks, instead. And if nVidia wants to fight against this, then decreasing licensing fees for monitor manufacturers seems like the most logical solution. Other option would be to support Freesync (/Adaptive sync), themselves, but that might not happen anytime soon.

Nice! :cool: Going to cost an absolute fortune though! If the swift was £800 to start of at, I dread to imagine what this will be :eek: Saying that, this isn't an ASUS ROG product so who knows, it might very well be a bit cheaper...... :p
Swift could maintain the price premium (and still move the merchandise) because there was no alternative. If CES doesn't introduce any sensible alternatives, then indeed, £800 might be very well be the reality for this new Acer. On the other hand, if there are more manufacturers bringing pressure to the market, then £650 might be the sweetspot. Even without G-sync this monitor would be one of a kind, so there's practically no chance of us seeing similar features under £550 anytime soon. If it had no G-sync, I think it would still be make good sales at £500. With Freesync, I think people would gladly buy it even for £550.

Associate
OP
Nvidia have already been putting gsync on top end monitors as if gamers who want top end performance need the best monitors to see it, so if you got the best monitor and its gsync aswell, your going to get the best Nvidia card?

And its going to undercut Swift no doubt

Caporegime
Yup very true that aatu, that it is the main reason for such a high price tag. Although ASUS products especially their ROG range are generally dearer than similar/better products anyway. ACER are usually cheaper in comparison to similar spec'd products so I hope we see other manufacturers bringing out 144HZ 1440 IPS monitors....

Personally I won't be spending any more than £650 max on a monitor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom