Acer XB270HU - Worlds First IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gsync

Soldato
Input lag is a non issue for the majority of IPS screens today, I have no issues with my LG 29um65 in FPS MP games and topping the leaderboards.

Of course it still matters :p

You'd get absolutely massacred on a fast twitch shooter on that monitor :p but on a very newbie friendly game like call of duty/tf2/battlefield then yea I guess it might not matter as much.

Just giving my opinion because I felt the above statement was misleading, that's all. It really depends what you play.

Soldato
What do you mean by 'the BenQ'. Which BenQ? BenQ are the parent company of AUO. AUO manufactures the panel for most current 144Hz models on the market (including the ROG SWIFT, BenQ XL Series, various AOC and ASUS models etc.) They are all Twisted Nematic, which is completely different. We can hope that this AHVA panel behaves much like a higher refresh rate version of their 60Hz AHVA panels, hopefully with slightly tighter response times too.

There is a reason these panels are referred to as 'IPS-type' (as are Samsung PLS panels) and as 'IPS technology'. They are for all intents and purposes the same thing. The key characteristics are identical and internally they are extremely similar. It can't be called 'IPS' because that is a trademark of LG Display, but that doesn't matter one jot to the consumer.

Interesting, thank you PCM2, I never knew that until now.

Caporegime
Of course it still matters :p

You'd get absolutely massacred on a fast twitch shooter on that monitor :p but on a very newbie friendly game like call of duty/tf2/battlefield then yea I guess it might not matter as much.

Just giving my opinion because I felt the above statement was misleading, that's all. It really depends what you play.

Well my main FPS MP games are/were BF 4/3 and bc 2 and I manage perfectly fine playing infantry on them (although for BF 3 and bc 2, I used a dell u2311h monitor, which has even higher input lag than the 29um65). Majority of the time I come 1st with a k/d of 4+ and at least 2000 more points than anyone else on my team and this includes people with 144HZ screens ;)

Also had no problems with topping leaderboards in titan fall (had the dell u2311h for that game), a very quick paced game.

I would classify TF 2 and especially COD as quick pace shooters too tbh.

The only games where I feel that input lag would be an area worth worrying about is if you are a competitive player in CS:GO or/and quake.

Personally I think the response time/motion clarity is a far more important area than input lag these days.

Associate
Nvidia have already been putting gsync on top end monitors as if gamers who want top end performance need the best monitors to see it, so if you got the best monitor and its gsync aswell, your going to get the best Nvidia card?

And its going to undercut Swift no doubt

1) Indeed, but that doesn't pressure nVidia to release a better GPU. On the contrary, it encourages nVidia to supply more of their current GPUs, where they have a good profit margin. Why introduce new hardware, when the old one sells just as well? The main pressure for better GPUs would come from a new Radeon line from AMD.

2) Yes. Or at least we hope so. If Asus doesn't respond, then people will simply move to other products, like this Acer. But hopefully this particular monitor won't remain as the only competitor. We need more mainstream oriented (or rather, mainstream PRICED) monitors, as well.

Associate
But it would take a lot to drag me away from 40 inch uhd now.

I agree completely. Tried 21:9 on my 40" UHD and the ratio was nice, but the sheer scale of the image was missing...I couldn't go smaller now.

This is certainly an exciting time for monitors :)

Associate
What do you mean by 'the BenQ'. Which BenQ? BenQ are the parent company of AUO. AUO manufactures the panel for most current 144Hz models on the market (including the ROG SWIFT, BenQ XL Series, various AOC and ASUS models etc.) They are all Twisted Nematic, which is completely different. We can hope that this AHVA panel behaves much like a higher refresh rate version of their 60Hz AHVA panels, hopefully with slightly tighter response times too.

There is a reason these panels are referred to as 'IPS-type' (as are Samsung PLS panels) and as 'IPS technology'. They are for all intents and purposes the same thing. The key characteristics are identical and internally they are extremely similar. It can't be called 'IPS' because that is a trademark of LG Display, but that doesn't matter one jot to the consumer.

Hey Adam, I really like your write-up about this monitor and agree that it most probably contains the AHVA panel from AU Optronics. However, what is your source for claiming that it will support ULMB? This is not in the Acer press release, and Mark Rejhon of BlurBusters says that there will be no ULMB for this monitor, according to his sources. The reason being that:
IPS pixel transitions are not yet fast enough for strobing.
Thoughts?

Soldato
Hey Adam, I really like your write-up about this monitor and agree that it most probably contains the AHVA panel from AU Optronics. However, what is your source for claiming that it will support ULMB? This is not in the Acer press release, and Mark Rejhon of BlurBusters says that there will be no ULMB for this monitor, according to his sources. The reason being that: Thoughts?

There is no confirmation of ULMB. That was a hang-over from the old article about the XB270HU in its original form, so I'll clarify in the article. The article was originally about the XB270HU as it was in the initial Acer roadmap - a TN panel supporting the usual G-SYNC + related features such as ULMB.

We don't know anything about how the accelerated pixel performance is on this monitor yet. Whilst it's true that traditional IPS makes a poor candidate for strobe backlight technologies such as ULMB, as the pixel responses may not finish in time, this AHVA panel may perform better in that regard. Existing monitors with ULMB have used extremely aggressive pixel overdrive which has produced what I feel are quite unsightly inverse ghosting artifacts. Not everyone is bothered by these. At any rate, with strong enough overdrive this may well be just fine for ULMB.

Associate
There is no confirmation of ULMB. That was a hang-over from the old article about the XB270HU in its original form, so I'll clarify in the article. The article was originally about the XB270HU as it was in the initial Acer roadmap - a TN panel supporting the usual G-SYNC + related features such as ULMB.

We don't know anything about how the accelerated pixel performance is on this monitor yet. Whilst it's true that traditional IPS makes a poor candidate for strobe backlight technologies such as ULMB, as the pixel responses may not finish in time, this AHVA panel may perform better in that regard. Existing monitors with ULMB have used extremely aggressive pixel overdrive which has produced what I feel are quite unsightly inverse ghosting artifacts. Not everyone is bothered by these. At any rate, with strong enough overdrive this may well be just fine for ULMB.

Thank you. Thought as much but it's good to hear from someone in the know. I hope we don't have to wait till March for professional reviews, even if we do have to wait that long before the thing goes on sale.

Back
Top Bottom