** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Tried and failed to make up a middle exhaust section. Out of 6 possible places it could have leaked, it leaked from...... 4 of them. :p

And I snapped an exhaust flange..... So it will now be going to an exhaust shop for them to do it properly, with the added cost of chopping a bit of pipe, replacing a flange, and welding it back on, because I'm a numpty. :(

I'm not bothered about what a bodyshop may or may not do when it goes in for a spray because that really is a long way off. Its fallen way down my list of priorities. :)

they're not doing their job properly then, the bodyshop i deal with takes it back to bare metal, the car is totally stripped...........they keep the car for about three weeks

No, hardly any spray shops take a car back to bare metal. Bare metal re-sprays are mega bucks, and are not something that I am ever going to entertain the idea of... Only a small percentage of car re-sprays will be bare metal re-sprays.

Almost all re-sprays will involve keying the existing paint, filling and prepping little dents etc, removing window trims/bumpers/things that will get in the way, and spraying.

Sanded down the rear quarter a bit, skimmed some more filler in, sanded again, put on several layers of filler primer, waiting for it to dry so I can block sand it, then put more filler primer on.

I hate waiting the 24 hours+ before sanding... I want to get sanding after an hour damnit, but I know it will mess it up! :p

Sanded it back, sprayed a some more coats on, its so smooooooth now!! :eek: Its also shiny/glossy... Am I to take it that this means it is water-proof until sanded?

Also fitted the fuel filler neck, vapor tank, and breather pipes. Now I can put the rear interior back together...

Exhaust work booked for the 9th... MOT booked for the 14th... Show booked for the 17th... :p

Last edited:
Yeah I've seen that reaction a few times while working on the car. Spraying stonechip over primer was the worst one. It softened up all the primer and even the seam sealer underneath and I had to scrape it all off and start over.

First drive on the road today. All is well, aside from the sodding ABS light coming back on. Was hoping that 5 months of sitting there thinking about what it had done wrong might have sorted that little intermittent issue! :p

I've been told that because the ABS light goes out, and doesn't come on as soon as the car starts rolling, rather, randomly when driving (anywhen from a few seconds after setting off, to a few minutes) it could be the relay that sits above the ABS ECU above the glovebox, and there might be a connection in there that needs some solder.

Will check it out asap. :)

I remember previously that it would seemingly come on when I hit a bump, but I checked all the sensors while wiggling the wires every which way, and they seemed fine. So perhaps theres a loose connection somewhere else which gets jiggled.

Back
Top Bottom