** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Haha yes. :p

It is a Toyota Corolla T-Sport... A facelift one... In Grey... With 90 some-odd thousand miles on the clock... Sound familliar? :D

In addition to all the normal bits like electric windows and remote central locking, they have a useful on-board-computer, automatic climate control, auto wipers, comfy seats, decent speakers and sound insulation, they go well, they aren't much money, they are reasonably bulletproof, and I know about them and their foibles already... They're also cheap to insure...

Seems like the perfect mix of creature comforts, simplicity/reliability, and zoom zoom... Plus I miss my old one...

Who are you insured with @Acme ? It seems nearly impossible to get insured on E46 2.5l being 20 with 0 ncb on car, they aren't interested in motorcycle ncb. :(

They are the ones yep.

1800 quid one had slight play in a strut as an advisory on the last MOT, think its just a worn top mount. And from the pics I've noticed the bonnet alignment is off so might have had a prang at some point. Going to give it a proper look over. My old one was the same in fairness... Another advisory for corroded rear axle beam, so I'm going to have a good look at that but I suspect its just covered in surface rust. I got an MOT advisory on mine for corroded wishbones, and they were fine, just with surface rust which brushed off easily.

Also going to look at the other one, 3000 is too much I feel even for a mint one, especially since the mileage is nothing special. 2400 tops would be more reasonable, but it's whether or not he drops that low.

My old one was 1650 on 86K and an 05 plate, but it turned out to need a clutch and some other bits as you lot well know.

Last edited:
I'm insured with ERS and the broker is NeedToInsure.

£960 fully comp with £0 excess and agreed value, Europe cover, all legal etc etc. But it's a classic car policy.

It is a Toyota Corolla T-Sport... A facelift one... In Grey... With 90 some-odd thousand miles on the clock... Sound familliar? :D

Yes, very familiar.

But provided you don't screw the purchase up there is no reason why this isn't a really good choice. Just stop making the same mistakes.

So...

Go to view it with the idea that you are probably going to walk away. Do not mentally purchase it in your head before seeing it. Do not plan mods. Do not refer to it as 'yours'. Expect it to be crap and pleasantly surprised if its not. Purchase it only if everything looks and feels RIGHT. Look for the warning signs you usually ignore and heed them this time.

The insurance for a BMW like this: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706306939780 (just an example) insurance quotes are showing around 1400-1500. Its only 40bhp more... :o For an Accord Type-S 2.4l insurance is under 1400, I really don't get their logic. :confused:
There must be something inherently linked to BMWs and drivers who crash, greenlight for example won't insure BMWs at all, regardless of who you are, how old you are, etc.

That said, I never had issue with insuring my two when I was in my early to mid 20s.

Just found out the 'rolla is 120 miles away not 63 miles away... Guy gave me the wrong postcode by accident... :rolleyes:

Not sure its worth the trip tbh! Back to browsing Autotrader.

There must be something inherently linked to BMWs and drivers who crash, greenlight for example won't insure BMWs at all, regardless of who you are, how old you are, etc.

That said, I never had issue with insuring my two when I was in my early to mid 20s.
Shame there aren't many RWD cars...
Just found out the 'rolla is 120 miles away not 63 miles away... Guy gave me the wrong postcode by accident... :rolleyes:

Not sure its worth the trip tbh! Back to browsing Autotrader.
I wouldn't... after I bought my EP2 4 days later a perfect EP2 came up locally, in the colour I wanted and better condition. Be patient, something will eventually pop up closer to you.

Yes, very familiar.

But provided you don't screw the purchase up there is no reason why this isn't a really good choice. Just stop making the same mistakes.

So...

Go to view it with the idea that you are probably going to walk away. Do not mentally purchase it in your head before seeing it. Do not plan mods. Do not refer to it as 'yours'. Expect it to be crap and pleasantly surprised if its not. Purchase it only if everything looks and feels RIGHT. Look for the warning signs you usually ignore and heed them this time.
Aww Fox you've gone soft!

Shame there aren't many RWD cars...

I wouldn't... after I bought my EP2 4 days later a perfect EP2 came up locally, in the colour I wanted and better condition. Be patient, something will eventually pop up closer to you.

Trouble is, I can't wait too long. I'm piling too many miles on the E30. Its on limited mileage, it isn't supposed to be my main car but it has been for goodness knows how long cos the Eunos was such a pile of poo. :p

I'll see how much it will cost me to increase the mileage cap a bit.

Acme, I don't know a single person who has ever stuck to their annual mileage limit, and I don't know a single insurer that's ever checked it... If you don't have telematics box then why on earth are you so bothered about it?

Back
Top Bottom