** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Yawn. :o

If I were sensible id patch the sills, MOT it, tart it up a bit and sell it, then sell my other car, and buy a tidy 350Z.

But! I am not sensible. I am acme. :p

And the dirty touring still makes me excited when i think about whats ahead.

Acme, ive done a few jobs similar to this and its not something id undertake on a driveway. Ive seen it far too many times where the outer sill gets removed then you find rot going all over the place, especially up the inner rear arch etc. I will stake money on the fact it will either be bodged back together by your welder/repairer or it sits there unfinished. Ive seen it too many times and it happens regular on most owners clubs! Soon as metal work gets cut off, it gets too much for them!

Seriously have a long hard think, personally, I would patch it and MOT it and enjoy it! Dont let it sit for months throwing money away then losing interest! Been there done that!

I can see quite well where the rot goes thankfully - From underneath the car you can see the inner sill lip and you can see where it is solid, and where it isn't. The conveniently placed hole in the sill and the inner arch are also excellent for shining a torch into to look at the condition of the inner. Silvery metal as far as the eye can see on the inside aside from a section up the side of the fuel tank at the rear of the sill, and a little bit further down.

The rot does extend from the rear sill to the inner and outer rear arch as mentioned, I actually discovered that rot before I discovered the sill itself was rotten.

On the "bad side" as far as the sill is concerned, it should really be a case of cut the outer sill out, cut a small bit of the inner sill lip off and weld in some 16 gauge sheet, and cut a slightly bigger bit of the inner sill out at the back near the arch. For this I have a genuine repair panel which can be cut down to just what is needed, and let into the gap, welded up, ground back, painted, and then have the outer sill let in, welded up, and inject cavity wax. Its quite a typical repair, and near identical to one which someone else in the owners club had done to his 325i Touring a couple of years ago.

sounds like a sensible option.

Yes it does! But I just can't stand the thought of this car ending up getting broken for spares after I sell it, which is a fairly likely outcome. I've started to save it, I'd like to finish the job. There is time for a 350Z.

I hear your concerns though and I will have a chat with the guy who I am planning to get to do the welding, and get him to show me some more examples of work he has done to other cars and to talk me through his process.

Last edited:
Did I not use the qualifying word "QUITE" and then go on to explain how? :rolleyes:

You guys really do make this incredibly difficult. I sometimes wonder why I even bother with this thread.

I can see quite well where the rot goes thankfully - From underneath the car you can see the inner sill lip and you can see where it is solid, and where it isn't. The conveniently placed hole in the sill and the inner arch are also excellent for shining a torch into to look at the condition of the inner. Silvery metal as far as the eye can see on the inside aside from a section up the side of the fuel tank at the rear of the sill, and a little bit further down.

The rot does extend from the rear sill to the inner and outer rear arch as mentioned, I actually discovered that rot before I discovered the sill itself was rotten.

On the "bad side" as far as the sill is concerned, it should really be a case of cut the outer sill out, cut a small bit of the inner sill lip off and weld in some 16 gauge sheet, and cut a slightly bigger bit of the inner sill out at the back near the arch. For this I have a genuine repair panel which can be cut down to just what is needed, and let into the gap, welded up, ground back, painted, and then have the outer sill let in, welded up, and inject cavity wax. Its quite a typical repair, and near identical to one which someone else in the owners club had done to his 325i Touring a couple of years ago.

Yes it does! But I just can't stand the thought of this car ending up getting broken for spares after I sell it, which is a fairly likely outcome. I've started to save it, I'd like to finish the job. There is time for a 350Z.

I hear your concerns though and I will have a chat with the guy who I am planning to get to do the welding, and get him to show me some more examples of work he has done to other cars and to talk me through his process.
PB2VZ8U.png

Might join another forum...

Too much negativity, too little encouragement.
Its more that this isnt a model specific enthusiast forum where people blindly just tell you that its great. We also have a reasonably broad spectrum of people due to this who will give opinions from the point of view of an outsider to the brand or niche of interest.

As a result you get broad, honest views.

The broad honest views are broadly unhelpful and negative though, with the occasional helpful and negative view. :p

OcUK motors is very knowledgeable but toxic. Negativity, pessimism, dramatic overkill and criticism by the bucket load, wherever you look. :o

Last edited:
The broad honest views are broadly unhelpful and negative though, with the occasional helpful and negative view. :p

OcUK motors is very knowledgeable but toxic. Negativity, pessimism, dramatic overkill and criticism by the bucket load, wherever you look. :o

Always will be when it comes to things like this. You're young and arsing about with cars, it doesn't quite fit the status quo.

Just Turbotoaster the hell out of it and ignore the haters. Your time, money and effort. Do as you please. It's not about internet points. But if it is, then don't bother.

It's a shame we're not more like the US. Going full Roadkill on a shed really appeals to me but we just can't get away with it the same.

If I were in the USA I'd probably mod it before ensuring it isn't going to snap in half. :p

Here sadly I have to do it the other way round. Pesky MOT's.

Sell yourself. :p

no.

Seriously, sell it, sell whatever other cars you have. Buy a good car and enjoy driving it. Maintaining old cars is just pointless now, unless it's a very rare old classic car which is worth something. Government wants as many old cars off the road, and I see MOT's getting even more strict in the coming year. Not worth it any more imo.

:(

Seriously, sell it, sell whatever other cars you have. Buy a good car and enjoy driving it. Maintaining old cars is just pointless now, unless it's a very rare old classic car which is worth something. Government wants as many old cars off the road, and I see MOT's getting even more strict in the coming year. Not worth it any more imo.

I won't lose any sleep by ignoring that post, sorry Vita.

I think we have different interests when it comes to cars. :p

It may not be rare on paper, but it is a rare sight on the roads. It feels special to drive (when it is working properly), and car shows and meets are fantastic. I love people coming up to me and asking questions because they have just bought one, or a friend of family member has just bought one, or even just because they like it or are curious.

People look at it, its a conversation starter, I love looking at it, and I get a sense of achievement and fulfillment every time something gets fixed.

When the ABS light comes on though I could ****ing scrap it there and then... Spent so long chasing that ******* fault! :D

to be honest, with these forums you just gotta do what you wanna do and if you're ready to share your ride you need learn to ignore the comments that you don't like. If you invite them by doing something "abnormal" then you need to just blank the people and carry on.

:(

I won't lose any sleep by ignoring that post, sorry Vita.

I think we have different interests when it comes to cars. :p

Been there done that. The time and money invested can be better spent on other things. Only trying to help mate. No hard feelings.

Been there done that. The time and money invested can be better spent on other things. Only trying to help mate. No hard feelings.
yeah but that's the case with everything in life, pcs, mobile phones etc etc :) do what ever makes you happy and if faffing around with an old car is what makes you happy then crack on with it.

Back
Top Bottom