** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

yeah but that's the case with everything in life, pcs, mobile phones etc etc :) do what ever makes you happy and if faffing around with an old car is what makes you happy then crack on with it.

I understand that but with acme he always seems to end up getting shafted and that's by his own self as well. Sometimes it just isn't meant to be.

I understand that but with acme he always seems to end up getting shafted and that's by his own self as well. Sometimes it just isn't meant to be.

Well shafted is a strong word, if he's happy to spend 2-3k to repair an old touring e30 then go him. He knew what he was getting into, it's no surprise that an old car can surprise you with its bills. You never buy an old car and expect to have a trouble-free ownership experience. I bought my mk1 mx5 with open eyes and I know It can royally ferk me any time but I enjoy messing around with it and if I spend money it's money spent on fun from my POV.

Been there done that. The time and money invested can be better spent on other things. Only trying to help mate. No hard feelings.

No worries. :D

I'm sure it can be better spent on other things as you say but yknow... :p

Well shafted is a strong word, if he's happy to spend 2-3k to repair an old touring e30 then go him. He knew what he was getting into, it's no surprise that an old car can surprise you with its bills. You never buy an old car and expect to have a trouble-free ownership experience. I bought my mk1 mx5 with open eyes and I know It can royally ferk me any time but I enjoy messing around with it and if I spend money it's money spent on fun from my POV.

Well actually I think shafted is a perfectly reasonable word to use, looking back at my Celica and Eunos escapades... :p

At least with this E30 I knew what I was buying. Well, relatively speaking.

Well actually I think shafted is a perfectly reasonable word to use, looking back at my Celica and Eunos escapades... :p

At least with this E30 I knew what I was buying. Well, relatively speaking.

those two yes, but I am talking about e30. You got it for very little so it either was luck or it was going to have hidden gems..

The broad honest views are broadly unhelpful and negative though, with the occasional helpful and negative view. :p

OcUK motors is very knowledgeable but toxic. Negativity, pessimism, dramatic overkill and criticism by the bucket load, wherever you look. :o
Not really, it's only like that where it's due...

yeah but that's the case with everything in life, pcs, mobile phones etc etc :) do what ever makes you happy and if faffing around with an old car is what makes you happy then crack on with it.

This is exactly what you should be thinking. Remember, some of the twonks on here spend way more on computers than you plan to spend on your car.

The trouble with rust is that usually you can't tell just how bad it actually is until you start cutting. Now in your case you can already see a lot of work needing to be done so this is what people mean when they say just patch up the bad bits to get it MOT worthy. Once you start digging it might well become unfeasible. I know you love it but there does have to be a cut off point, I'm not saying you're there now.

Regarding the comments on here, they may come across as negative and whilst some are, most probably just come across more harshly because of the fact that they're written not spoken. Do also remember that most of the people replying have also replied with comments/advice on your previous cars (that, by and large, turned out to be true) so a) people are naturally going to be short but also b) a lot of people are talking from their own experience, sure it's your money/hobby/choice but this is something to take on board.

I guess all I can do is see how bad it is. If a bit gets cut off and its horriffic, I can cry myself to sleep, put the bit back in and sell it. :p

But I'm not done giving it chances yet. :p

If I were you, I'd do it properly but then I'd be doing it myself.

I've seen on forums the work of other welders and I wouldn't let half of them anywhere near my car.

It depends on your final goal with the car, keeping it for many MOT's and years to come? Replace the whole thing. Just want to enjoy it and rag it around? Patch that up and get back to enjoying it.

I'm finally at a place now where my old car is pretty solid, I've replaced almost everything that needs replacing. And now I'm on the hunt for more power, which will never end. Is it worth what I've put in? Hell no. But I love her and every time I get into her, or look at her I smile. She's my baby! So just keep going with it and ignore the what people say, do whatever you want :D

Replaced the fuel pump, no change.

So stuck a high concentration of injector cleaner in with about 15 litres of fuel, thrashed the arse off of the car for 40 miles which burned all of it. Problem solved. Runs sweet.

No I have a spare fuel pump which I guess is no bad thing. :p

You might find, if that was the case, that it was the filter sock in the tank getting blocked with debris (or an in-line filter getting clogged). Considering it's been moved around recently, it could be possible.

The filter sock on the old pump was a little mucky but the one on the replacement pump was clear. Still did the same thing after putting the replacement pump in.

I think these do suffer from injector problems if they are left sitting, but I didn't expect it to have issues after only a few weeks. I was certain it was the fuel pump because it was old, noisy, and it had been disturbed recently, but it turns out it was fine, and thats just how loud they are... :p

Back
Top Bottom