** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

I'm not the only one who has noticed.

And a little bit of drama is alright... Not this much.

People who aren't surrounded by drama, in my opinion, aren't honest with anyone and conceal details from others to avoid drama. You do not do that. I do not do that either and occasionally feel like I'm targetted (not on OcUK), but then I am an open person and that's the cost of being so.

At least the result is that people can trust me.

Right, well. Dunno if I mentioned, but the tubular manifold I bought ended up not fitting cos it was for a LHD E30. I'm now trying to sell it.

But against my better judgement (lol...) I just bought a RHD suitable tubular manifold and downpipe for the fairly paltry sum (as far as RHD manifolds go!!) of £199.99 brand new including delivery...

What was someone saying about not buying shiny things for my rotten car until I've de-rotted it? :p

Right, well. Dunno if I mentioned, but the tubular manifold I bought ended up not fitting cos it was for a LHD E30. I'm now trying to sell it.

But against my better judgement (lol...) I just bought a RHD suitable tubular manifold and downpipe for the fairly paltry sum (as far as RHD manifolds go!!) of £199.99 brand new including delivery...

What was someone saying about not buying shiny things for my rotten car until I've de-rotted it? :p

...hmm...

This post sums you up pretty well overall.

1)You make a random purchase of something you don't need/something to replace something you purchased incorrectly/something that isn't what you actually need.
2)You make a post about it saying it was against your better judgment/was probably a mistake/was foolish/goes against your original plan
3)People raise their eyebrows
4)You begin making "excuses" for what you have done such as "I was tired" (I mean really? Honestly? You were tired? That's the sort of thing I'd expect from a 4 year old)
5) Drama unfolds and you are being "picked on"

I have said this multiple times before, but you really are your own worst enemy. You invite criticism and then get upset when you receive it.

If you want to buy a new manifold you don't need instead of repairing the gaping hole in your sill, then cool - do it. But what's the point doing it apologetically, as if it was some heinous error, and then spending the next 20 posts defending your decision that you yourself questioned anyway?

Just saying!

First bit of welding done. And the pictures contain a hint as to what the next bit will be... That arch rot! :eek: :p

xZSeUTW.jpg

e3lAyba.jpg

SSZWxYG.jpg

T16HiBG.jpg

Ugl4KLn.jpg

jVE7E5M.jpg

FnUNH6w.jpg

Cfh8alY.jpg

B746TuD.jpg

e2TErFp.jpg

6wx7NWz.jpg

dHu1Ppq.jpg

e7U0k4w.jpg

6JjnDhh.jpg

hjQ6Swv.jpg

gaXnh21.jpg

2QuF2uH.jpg

Ey4lQ8i.jpg

uAV0fqx.jpg

2FiwHtx.jpg

LyvKm6E.jpg

Pretty happy to finally have a bit of it gone. Not a 10/10 job, but it didn't cost me 10/10 money. Now just needs a bit more grinding back on the weld, a skim of filler, sanding, seam sealer along the bottom lip where it is spot welded, painting, good soaking in cavity wax, done. Oh and we still need to cut out the jacking point holes and weld the outer sill to the jacking points, at the moment they are just covered by the sill panel.

Only small hitch was when the heat set fire to the seam sealer on the inside of the car and partially melted a wire... Thankfully I was on-hand to quickly dab it out. Easy fix, just scrape it off, put new seam sealer on, and splice in a new bit of wire... :p

Interior is totally stripped anyway to help minimise any such catastrophes...

Last edited:
Awaiting confirmation of when the next bit can be done. With the other sill and the inner arch done, I think its an MOT pass, and then the urgency can reduce a bit!

Enquiring about a Scorpion backbox on eBay... So it looks like she'll have a fully stainless exhasut. Direnza manifold and downpipe, and Scorpion system from the downpipe, back. Should sound decent... :)

More welding commencing tomorrow!

Car is running like **** again though, the injector cleaner seemed to have only temporarily solved the issues.

Ordered a new filter cos I didn't change it when I changed the tank (might have shaken loose come crud which is partially blocking it perhaps) and will also run some compressed air through the fuel feed line between the filter and the fuel rail in case there are any blockages.

Failing that the fuel rail will come off, be cleaned out, and the injectors will be sent off to Injectortune to be refurbished. £86 the set for a full clean, re-build and calibration with a 3 day turnaround.

This might be a daft one but you didn't use old fuel after you sorted the tank did you? That could have dragged some crap through with it.

Update.

The other sill has been partially chopped, and one footwell has also been chopped. :)

[pic removed]

i2f5Wb8.jpg

qJIrpId.jpg

6qZnWy4.jpg

Q46cCgD.jpg

CivLbV7.jpg

AmBe1SW.jpg

0tUTg0S.jpg

jARelNN.jpg

NyTzETZ.jpg

31bCN78.jpg

EyPKfZG.jpg

cJ1UHYB.jpg

IzniWet.jpg

No fires this time. Though I did forget to disconnect the battery until we'd already finished one bit. Luckily nothing fried, by the looks of things. :p

Last edited:
Thanks bud, yeah it will be. But there are lots of other bits to do yet, and some other areas I need to keep an eye on in case they begin to fester. Rot box. :p

Mate who's doing the welding for me hasn't really had any trouble so far as (to him) this is all easy stuff. The challenge will come when he does the inner and outer wheel arch, as it will require quite a bit of fabrication.

Cant you put the car on a Rotisserie or is too heavy without gutting it first, because it would be so easy if you could work standing up with the car turned through 90 degrees ???

Back
Top Bottom