advice on atx or smaller system

Associate
OP
Still deciding on what case and motherboard to get Picked up a 750 watt psu from thie site as they were on offer Antec HCG Gold 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply

Picked up a £500 gb m2 drive so nearly sorted

Soldato
yes i saw that one - there are a couple on my list. can you recommend a 240m radiator or a 360 one (depending on the case i end up getting ) or is that a waste on a ryzen 2700
It's not a waste but quality air with adequate case fans will get the same cooling results.

I'm afraid you're asking the wrong forum member as i'm also bias. I usually install air, i'm not a fan of AIOs as they have more points of failure (pump failure/noise, leaks), and personally i find them noisier. I buy/fit quality air coolers - same performance (or within a few degrees as makes no difference) - and will last for years and silent operation. The downside of large heatsinks are that they take up a lot of room and comparatively difficult to fit and take off compared to quality AIO.

That said, i'm not saying don't buy one - loads of members use them and swear by them - this is my personal opinion. @orbitalwalsh, very experienced member, loves them for their benefits - easy installation, RGB, more space and look funky if you have a glass panel (i run silent systems - soundproofed and no windows).

He's the best person to ask - i'll @Call him tomorrow for his advice and you can choose what you think best suits your needs/style.

Associate
OP
After looking at some videos last night I was surprised to see that a good air cooler beat a number of AIO

Noctua came up trumps

I have also settled on the h500 so will hopefully get a decent air cooler to fit the CPU Not so concerned about the Gpu as my gigabyte G1 runs cool anyway

Soldato
After looking at some videos last night I was surprised to see that a good air cooler beat a number of AIO
Yep, as mentioned if you have the right case airflow combined with a decent air cooler they really produce efficient cooling solutions.
Noctua came up trumps
Excellent coolers: superb design and quality - but questionable colour choice, but has become a mark of quality. But, there are equal quality models and cheaper alternatives if needed.

Do you want as cool/quiet as possible or a happy medium?

Soldato
Cryorig H7 Plus - would that or the smaller H7 model fit the H500 case - the case refers to 165mm clearance but not sure what that actually means
Yep, the maximum cooler height for the NZXT H500 is 165mm. The H7 Plus would fit easily as only 145mm.

This would fit too (not as sleek looking) - and has an excellent performance to cost ratio - performance on a par with Noctua - Clicky:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Associate
OP
cheers for that link - i am not that bothered about the looks inside as the pc will be positioned on my floor between my sub woofer and the wall (with around a couple of cms of space for airflow). So the looks of the components are not that important. If the scthye is a better performer then i will get that one.

does clearance take into account the space between top of CPU and case or CPU and ram. I just want to make sure what ever cooler i get will fit. Also do air coolers come with thermal paste or do i need to buy some

Soldato
does clearance take into account the space between top of CPU and case or CPU and ram. I just want to make sure what ever cooler i get will fit. Also do air coolers come with thermal paste or do i need to buy some
That Sythe is designed that it steps back from the DIMM slots - plus boards use the second slot further away from CPU slot by default (your Tomahawk being one of them) - so it's not normally an issue, as most users only use two sticks.

The Sythe comes with paste - but only enough for one application (i think) - so no room for mistakes (pea sized blob does the job and is simple). Just remember to remove protective film from beneath heatsink.

*Most coolers will come with a small application or pre-applied paste - wise to check.

Associate
OP
is the carbon MSI worth an extra £20 over the tomahawk. also as i am getting a cooler do i need an x470 board. (is x470 more future proof or offer a better deal than B450)

I notice the GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming is £124 - again is that going to be better than either MSI efforts

Soldato
is the carbon MSI worth an extra £20 over the tomahawk. also as i am getting a cooler do i need an x470 board. (is x470 more future proof or offer a better deal than B450)
No, if you have no need for the WiFi.

I notice the GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming is £124 - again is that going to be better than either MSI efforts
The Gigabyte doesn't have the same quality VRMs as the Tomahawk but does have improved built in amp - ALC1220 codec and Gigabyte has UK RMA and great forum representation.

That said the MSI B450 Carbon has the same audio integration as the Gigabyte, better VRMs than the Tomahawk and WiFi (although not needed).

Swings and roundabouts to a degree - depends if you need any of the extra bells and whistles of the x470 - but all boards use the offset for overclocking if you plan on doing this.

*From your previous posts the Tomahawk seems to fit your criteria - but if you're not overclocking, and have no intention of updating to Zen 2 then Gigabyte is the safest/easiest option for warranty issues if you worry about such things.

Soldato
does clearance take into account the space between top of CPU and case or CPU and ram. I just want to make sure what ever cooler i get will fit.
Mugen 5 is as good clearance high end cooler as they come.
Even quad channel memory with some DIMMs on other side of CPU wouldn't be problem:
http://www.scythe-eu.com/uploads/tx_cfamooflow/Cooler_.With_RAM_2_14.jpg
And 154,5 mm height fits to almost any normal case.

It may not be fashionable dual tower or have fancy look, but that's because all engineering effort was spent on pure performance and functionality.
Something which is very rare in todays PC parts.

Unlike Intel limiting features quite heavily outside the most expensive chipsets AMD doesn't do that, so B450 isn't that much worser in general.
There are few chipset PCI lanes and USB ports less.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM4#Chipsets

Durability/strength of CPU VRM again usually depends on motherboard's price level.
And Asus has total garbage level VRM even in X470 TUF.

MSI has same doubled components four phase CPU VRM in Tomahawk and Carbon.
X470 Aorus Ultra has same VRM design but with cheaper and worser FETs.
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/pga-am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html

Back
Top Bottom