advice on atx or smaller system

Associate
OP
Hi right getting through the build and 2qyestions

On the mb for cpu power there seems to be a spare 4 block power connector on the mb next to where I have plugged in the 2 x4 block connector. Should anything be plugged into that

Also my mb does not seem totally secure on the standoffs. The htzx500 has preinstalled standoffs. I can't work out what screws I should use however. The case comes with 4 6-32 screw hexagon which fit but there are more standoffs than 4. There are also a lot of smaller 6-32 screw flat type screws. Does it matter which ones I use. When I plug in the cables there seems to be some give in the mb

Associate
OP
Just realised that the correct screws are the smaller ones. One issue I have now hit is that one of the hex screws has loosened the standoff underneath so as I turn the screw its turning the standoff below the mb. Just will have to leave it. There are at least 5 screws firmly connecting the mb

Soldato
/Very busy

Ideally, no loose risers/standoffs and motherboard needs to be secure - no movement.

Now would be the time to secure/fix riser as easy to do. If you have boot issues (may not) - this would be a factor to rule out and will be significantly harder when all wired in etc...

Don't t worry about additional 4 pin CPU connector - not needed unless shooting for extreme overclocks.

Associate
OP
I can't work out how to get the screw out as it's just turning the standoff below. There does not seem a way of tightening the standoff and I can't mb out as the one screw is turning the standoff below mb etc

Associate
I can't work out how to get the screw out as it's just turning the standoff below. There does not seem a way of tightening the standoff and I can't mb out as the one screw is turning the standoff below mb etc

Sounds like you may have cross-threaded a screw. Try removing the entire motherboard, by first unscrewing all the non-stuck screws. As you unscrew the infinite turning screw, you will hopefully unscrew the standoff as well and then the whole motherboard would hopefully be free. If that happens, you can lastly remove the standoff with a pair of pliers. Good luck!

Associate
OP
Right sorted out the standoff. Plugged the PC in and no bios slash. The CPU is lit up and the keyboard I have plugged in works but no picture on my tv. The CPU fan lights up and spins but case fans not moving. Should the case fans spin up as a matter of course in any event etc

If the CPU fan lights up etc I assume mb is being powered correctly.

I have not atttatchrd my gpu yet just using the onboard hdmi on mb.

Soldato
no picture on my tv.
No onboard GFX with your Ryzen CPU.

You need GPU installed for output - and make sure cable connected to GPU.

*You need at least CPU/memory/GPU and PSU and a lead to monitor/TV for BIOS display using Ryzen 2700 (plus keyboard for changing settings)

Soldato
For testing purposes - i suggest you drop the memory to 2933MHz (other profile) - and bump it back up to 3333MHz when you're absolutely sure everything is stable (i.e. after a few days of using and abusing the system with games/browsing and cold boots)

Soldato
Do fans need power as I only have them plugged into mb.
The motherboard header supplies them with power. But the settings in 'Hardware Monitor' may have them set to zero rpm when below your present system temp. You need to go in and check the fan profile for each 'system fan' (sys_fan) your fans are connected to.

Associate
OP
Cheers. When I select full fans in the bios then they certainly then work. However on default setting they have not come on although I have not gamed yet. Is there a setting for the fans I should use. The strange thing is in the Bios settings the monitor suggests the fans are moving as it gives a rpm value but the fans are stationary

Soldato
If your fans aren't PWM(?), select the 'Smart Fan Mode' box - this allows you to configure when your fans will up their RPM to compensate for higher system temps.

Associate
OP
I am just using the standard fans that come with the H500 case. Not sure what type they are.

it was a very satisfying build process (a bit like adult lego ) and i loved every moment of it.

thanks for all the help guys.

just need to work out how to sort out a fan curve then i am good to go. is it better to use the bios option or MSI command centre to sort out the fans

next step just need to get some data storage - put 2 old 1TB drives in the machine and they are now the loudest part of the system.

also i would like to apply a small overclock to the CPU. does anyone have a suggested guide i could look at - hopefully want to see if i can get my CPU at 3.9 or 4 ghtz

Last edited:
Soldato
just need to work out how to sort out a fan curve then i am good to go. is it better to use the bios option or MSI command centre to sort out the fans
I don't install motherboard suites/utilities - so i use BIOS for things like this. If you haven't installed it obviously use the BIOS - even if you have you may find playing with the BIOS a useful exercise in familiarising yourself with the enthronement.

also i would like to apply a small overclock to the CPU. does anyone have a suggested guide i could look at - hopefully want to see if i can get my CPU at 3.9 or 4 ghtz
I recommend downloading and installing the latest BIOS - if it's not up to date - for memory compatibility and more BIOS features for overclocking (notably offest). *Be sure to update the BIOS via the BIOS using a USB pen drive.

That said, I would wait a week and make sure things are stable - a bit like the memory - and then up/test the memory at 3333MHz - test again. Then once you're sure the memory is stable at 3333MHz apply your clock - use the BIOS environment for this and NOT Command Centre.

You could use the offset method - if you download the latest BIOS - or manually set a fixed vCore and adjust multiplier/ratio to 40 (40 x 100 = 4GHz). I personally like to use the offset method as your board/cpu will still utilise the power saving features when the system is idle - but it requires more fiddling with settings.

But, if you want a quick clock - adjusting the ratio and upping the vCore gets the fastest results (Note: 1.45V is AMD recommended max - but suggest keeping under 1.4V and SOC max 1.2V). I would google YouTube plus forums and read up on which best suits you. But 3.9/4GHz should be easily attainable - but you may see your volts jump if you attempt over 4GHz.

Soldato
Would also recommend downloading the latest BIOS to USB stick and installing through the BIOS M-FLASH section (not through any app on Windows).

This is a Buildzoid guide for the X470 Carbon Pro (he can ramble quite a bit but it should be helpful). BIOS should be very similar.

Back
Top Bottom