Aero/Gains Thread

Soldato
OP
Does anyone know where on earth I can source a set of high rise USE extensions in 40 degree's?
WattShop has HR 50 degree's but I think they will be too extreme for me and would rather 40 degree's.

Soldato
OP
Ordered some high rise 40 degree from Tweaks Cycles. Says they will dispatch within 2 days indicating they have stock but the negative side of me is expecting an email to say they actually don't have any..... Hopefully I am wrong!

@Shamrock - I recall you had a Profile Design front end on your bike and you replaced the J5 brackets for the L2's which move the extensions below the base bar? Am I completely making that up or am I onto something? :)

Soldato
OP
@SoliD - How are you getting on with that new position?
Any pics to show difference from last season and from recently?

USE 40 on way as per above and I think I am just going to order the WattShop angled arm rests and sell my Aerocoach ones. The position you went with is essentially what I have been trying for with my bike as it was from last year but I do not have enough rise on my extensions. It was a season of just using it as is purely due to the hassle of changing the extensions and re-routing cables but I know if I endure the hassle of changing it all up it will result in me being both more aero and comfortable so it needs to happen.

I have also emailed CUBE to ask wtf I can use stem wise to replace the stock one that came on my Aerium. It's 80mm but I need to go out further reach wise so that I can retain where I am over the cranks but not be hunched up so much. The stem is a "aero flip flop" (actually says that on it!) and it has no screws at the back so that it can be streamlined with the top tube.... I can see some other stems like this with low profile backs to them which should fit onto the steerer/frame, but yep, they are all ridiculously expensive aero jobbies and I am not paying near £200 for a bloody stem.

Soldato
@Shamrock - I recall you had a Profile Design front end on your bike and you replaced the J5 brackets for the L2's which move the extensions below the base bar? Am I completely making that up or am I onto something? :)

Yeah that's exactly what I did. Unfortunately, I couldn't source the bracket alone so I had to buy it as part of some new bars. Sold the extensions to Roady so made a bit of the cost back.

Soldato
@SoliD - How are you getting on with that new position?
Any pics to show difference from last season and from recently?

USE 40 on way as per above and I think I am just going to order the WattShop angled arm rests and sell my Aerocoach ones. The position you went with is essentially what I have been trying for with my bike as it was from last year but I do not have enough rise on my extensions. It was a season of just using it as is purely due to the hassle of changing the extensions and re-routing cables but I know if I endure the hassle of changing it all up it will result in me being both more aero and comfortable so it needs to happen.

Getting there, I made some further adjustment by cutting down the extensions by another 3cm as I was a bit stretched out. I also moved the pads slightly further forward to get slightly more of my forearm on the rest, I also moved them outwards ever so slightly so there is a small gap (1cm) between the pads. I've only done 1 10mi TT since, relatively happy with a 21:49 when the course record was only a 19:30, I was much comfier and felt pretty good. Got a few weeks off now, but hope to get a few races in next month, got to get back to try to beat my 10 TT PB.

This was just before the changes above, not got any from that last race

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139894980@N08/42892140892/sizes/l/

Soldato
I found I actually gained a fair amount of drag by going up to 40 degree high rises. Eventually now gone back to 30 degrees, but on a tririg alpha x which should in theory be a good bit quicker than my last setup. Also ordered new rear disc, and picked up an ENVE 7.8 front. Hopefully should mean I've found a few watts on the old setup. Had a ten last week on P881R but felt pretty ill so was almost 100w down with 277w and 21.26. I actually sat up at one point I felt so grim, but CDA was still 0.188 or so despite that and very minimal traffic due to the football. Hopefully I can kick on from here now and do ok at the Nat 25.

Soldato
Went and rode the Rainford course last night, did it once before and most of it as the 25 course.

Did a 22:06 and finished 4th from 29 starters. 306w, was a strong wind one direction last night, so 50kmph+! I felt OK, had a long ride Sunday and didn’t feel super fresh, started off well, 314w and second half 298w into the wind at the end (didn’t pedal one roundabout as I caught a rider).

Last time I had just started TTing and did 23:10, 313w, but no aero helmet or skinsuit, all that Zwift turbo riding helped over winter and must have been on a good night. I hold the TT position a lot better now helping save power and more aero!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ordered some high rise 40 degree from Tweaks Cycles. Says they will dispatch within 2 days indicating they have stock but the negative side of me is expecting an email to say they actually don't have any..... Hopefully I am wrong!

Well, I was right.
Why the **** do sites say they have stock when they don't? They have emailed me saying they will have the item in stock hopefully by 2nd August. Useless.

Soldato
Increased my stem length by 10mm, should stretch me out a touch and bring me slightly up, trying to reduce the amount my lungs are squashed.

Had to recable the RD as it was too short :(

Soldato
I hate TT bikes for that reason!

I swapped a guys stock Felt IA extensions for 3T 45 degree sprint ones and it was pretty easy due to being di2 but I still have to take the fork out, take out the 3 port box and fish out the other 4 port box then fish the new wires through and plug it all back together. A mechanical bike would have been more of a pain for sure.

During the test ride I'd tried to get onto the extensions but it felt sketchy as hell, too small for me at a 54cm but I do want to try a TT on a proper bike one day.

Soldato
I hate TT bikes for that reason!

I swapped a guys stock Felt IA extensions for 3T 45 degree sprint ones and it was pretty easy due to being di2 but I still have to take the fork out, take out the 3 port box and fish out the other 4 port box then fish the new wires through and plug it all back together. A mechanical bike would have been more of a pain for sure.

During the test ride I'd tried to get onto the extensions but it felt sketchy as hell, too small for me at a 54cm but I do want to try a TT on a proper bike one day.

It took me about 5 hours to take the spacer out on my IA.... Full ripping out of the brakes and gear cables. So much easier now di2 but still an utter ache...

Soldato
OP
I am considering ruining my bank account and putting SRAM eTap on my TT bike purely for the reasons above.
Fitting these USE extensions is going to be an utter ballache of a hassle. I'm full mech Ulteg.

Soldato
Moved another 15mm of spacers above the stem yesterday, lowering the bars and thereby making me more aero... If only my 58cm Cube didn't have 610mm stack and I didn't have a recently ok, but a 10-year history of a weak lower back! :eek:

Soldato
OP
Go 1x. Might make things a bit easier without having to use that ridiculously sized blip box.

Yeah absolutely, if I was doing it I would do it proper. ARC 54t 1x as you say would cut down on needless **** on the bike/in the frame.

I am having a mare all round. WattShop got the 40 degree high rise in so I ordered with them and cancelled with Tweeks. They are in the post now.
Trying to find a stem I can use on this Cube Aerium is a situation I should not be struggling with, but I am! Cube emailed me back saying they don't make alternative stems at all and to consult a bike fitter.... so the manufacturer of my bike can't even tell me what stem may fit their bike and to ask some independent person. Just stupid.

I have posted a thread on TT forum about it but basically I need a stem that is very small behind the steerer clamp where the bolts are because there is very little space there between steerer and the top tube of the frame.
Pro Missile Evo may work but can only see 85mm.
Zipp SL sprint and speed may work but they actually look too beefy perhaps.
PlanetX don't appear to sell the Selcof one any more that may have worked.
And anyway, they are all insanely expensive for a bloody stem so I am worried of taking the punt on a silly priced stem and it being no good and having to start all over again. Easier getting a new bike!! :(

Back
Top Bottom