Air fryers

Man of Honour
Yeah, just chuck em in. Spray some olive oil to keep the fries crispy. Shake everything around ~halfways through.

Need to get some olive oil spray! Going to try a hard boiled egg in there tonight and then maybe onion/courgette type thing tomorrow.

All seems to have come out of the dishwasher clean. Such a time saver.

Soldato
Need to get some olive oil spray! Going to try a hard boiled egg in there tonight and then maybe onion/courgette type thing tomorrow.

All seems to have come out of the dishwasher clean. Such a time saver.

I have no proof to back this up lol but higher smoke point oils will be better .. rapeseed (aka vegetable) oil works well. lighter olive oils are probably ok, but the outside of the food gets blasted with heat so I err on the side of caution with rapeseed or peanut (groundnut)

Man of Honour
I have no proof to back this up lol but higher smoke point oils will be better .. rapeseed (aka vegetable) oil works well. lighter olive oils are probably ok, but the outside of the food gets blasted with heat so I err on the side of caution with rapeseed or peanut (groundnut)

Good shout, just found this list:

1. Avocado Oil- 520°F smoke point.
  2. Light Olive Oil- 465-470°F smoke point.
  3. Clarified Butter (Ghee)- 482°F smoke point.
  4. Sunflower Oil- 450°F smoke point.
  5. Peanut Oil- 450°F.
  6. Grapeseed Oil- 421°F.
  7. Refined Coconut Oil- 400°F.

Associate
Ah, good shout! I have issues with rapeseed oil myself so try and avoid it.

Good shout, just found this list:

1. Avocado Oil- 520°F smoke point.
  2. Light Olive Oil- 465-470°F smoke point.
  3. Clarified Butter (Ghee)- 482°F smoke point.
  4. Sunflower Oil- 450°F smoke point.
  5. Peanut Oil- 450°F.
  6. Grapeseed Oil- 421°F.
  7. Refined Coconut Oil- 400°F.

I've seen Sunflower, Rapeseed, and Olive oil sprays for sale at tesco.

Soldato
Ah, good shout! I have issues with rapeseed oil myself so try and avoid it.

I've seen Sunflower, Rapeseed, and Olive oil sprays for sale at tesco.

Some sources say to avoid those commercial cooking sprays as they contain chemicals that are not good for the internal surfaces of the air fryer. Allegedly it's best to fill your own spray bottle or refill the shop versions with regular versions of your oil of choice to spay on your food when air frying.

Associate
I just picked up my first air fryer, a Corosi 3.5 ltr, costing £67. I was a bit worried about the height, but it fits under the overhead cupboards just fine. Can't wait to try it out later to see if it will make some nice sausages...or maybe a steak pie with a crusty top (I hate using the microwave to heat up pies!)...and I'm looking forward to tomorrow - home made cottage pie!

Soldato
I just picked up my first air fryer, a Corosi 3.5 ltr, costing £67. I was a bit worried about the height, but it fits under the overhead cupboards just fine. Can't wait to try it out later to see if it will make some nice sausages...or maybe a steak pie with a crusty top (I hate using the microwave to heat up pies!)...and I'm looking forward to tomorrow - home made cottage pie!

For how many people are you cooking? You should be fine for a couple, but might struggle to cook meals for large groups with a 3.5L. Despite what some of the advertising pictures show, you don’t want to be filling up the basket.

Associate
Just me. Oh yeah, some of the pictures are funny - fries spillling out over the top of the basket, as if. It would no doubt be dangerous to overfill what with the heating element at the top. My first attempt went well. 3 pork & onion sausages. 14mins at 200c. I hate doing them in the frying pan as they always burst. The only thing I dislike about the air fryer so far, is pulling the on the handle to release the tray/basket, takes a bit too much force in my opinion.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just me. Oh yeah, some of the pictures are funny - fries spillling out over the top of the basket, as if. It would no doubt be dangerous to overfill what with the heating element at the top. My first attempt went well. 3 pork & onion sausages. 14mins at 200c. I hate doing them in the frying pan as they always burst. The only thing I dislike about the air fryer so far, is pulling the on the handle to release the tray/basket, takes a bit too much force in my opinion.

Good choice for a first trial. You can do more adventurous stuff but good results are virtually guaranteed with the likes of sausages, burgers, chicken nuggets, fish fingers etc. Although I make my own air fryer chips from potatoes (which requires a few steps) I did try using frozen chips and they also seem made for the air fryer. Just make sure to shake them a few times and check how they are doing so you don't overcook them.

Caporegime
I love battered fresh or frozen fish done in the AF, always come out super crispy whereas done in a standard oven they always seem a little bit soggy. Chuck in some hash brown waffles or wedges as well and it's a perfect dinner.

Caporegime
Love my Cosori, had the 4 Quart Wi-Fi version for 6 months and barely use my oven now.

Wi-Fi's a bit of a gimmick but I've come to realise I'm probably saving a decent amount of electricity by putting food in the fryer as soon as it's heated, it notifies your smart devices when it's preheated, vs forgetting the oven's on like I regularly do for pizzas.

Soldato
Ninja speedi has proven a nice purchase. It's crisper tray thing is a nightmare to pick up with tongs though.

It makes a basic pasta +protein dish so simple with minimal cleaning up.

That is imo a failure from Ninja and could have been remedied by just adding a small set of silicone tongs to the to the package.

Apart from that, it has been a welcome addition to the kitchen.

Soldato
That is imo a failure from Ninja and could have been remedied by just adding a small set of silicone tongs to the to the package.

Apart from that, it has been a welcome addition to the kitchen.

It's really terrible. I bought some tongs and even with them I struggle if there's any weight on the tray.

It's nigh on impossible to stir something in the lower bit without accidentally dropping the contents of the tray into it. If they just added a lip around the edge that might help a bit.

It's made me rage too often.

Soldato
It's really terrible. I bought some tongs and even with them I struggle if there's any weight on the tray.

It's nigh on impossible to stir something in the lower bit without accidentally dropping the contents of the tray into it. If they just added a lip around the edge that might help a bit.

It's made me rage too often.

The only thing I can see that has a link to the Ninja, is a print for a lifter.

I think there's a possible market for a minimum 3 point lifter, as above, that can fit into the circle or square holes next to the moveable legs.

Soldato
The only thing I can see that has a link to the Ninja, is a print for a lifter.

I think there's a possible market for a minimum 3 point lifter, as above, that can fit into the circle or square holes next to the moveable legs.

I think the best idea would likely be to get a couple of wire coat hangers and some pliers and make something similar to what you suggest. I might have a go this weekend.

Associate
The Ninja Foodi FlexDrawer has dropped in price. Was looking for a wider non two basket approach for larger cuts and bulk meal prepping. The current Air fryer has given 5 years+ of good service so a decent upgrade from a 4.8L

Back
Top Bottom