Poll: AirPods Max

Will you buy/have you bought AirPods Max?

• Yes

Votes: 25 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 193 88.5%

• Total voters
Commissario
I ordered mine on the 12th Jan and got mine today so they are definitely shipping faster.
What was the quoted delivery date at point of order? I know you said they arrived a day early but I've been looking at them most days for a couple of weeks and it's only just dropped below a month.

Assuming you bought from Apple. If not then it's irrelevant really.

Commissario
That's really good - My email says 16th to 23rd Feb and when I check online, it's showing 23rd Feb. However the money was taken straight away which is unusual for Apple because in my (admittedly fairly limited) experience, it's normally only taken when they're actually shipping so perhaps it'll be sooner.

Commissario
Wow!

Ordered at 19:25 last night, delivered at 09:34 this morning. I won't get a chance to play until lunchtime but considering the estimated delivery date was three weeks away, that's pretty impressive.

Associate
That is incredibly quick! I ordered a HomePod mini just before the new year and it's currently projected to arrive Feb 1st.

You can strike lucky and order when stock hits the warehouses in the UK I guess, but with the retail stores being closed again I imagine there's less fluid stock being moved in for that.

Commissario
You can strike lucky and order when stock hits the warehouses in the UK I guess, but with the retail stores being closed again I imagine there's less fluid stock being moved in for that.
Aye, I suspect that's what's happened. Before the stores closed again, they'd often appear for next-day pickup but at the time we were in tier 4 and I wasn't even considering going to collect them. That stock must be somewhere and I can only assume they're using those plus any others that were on the way in and allocated to the stores.

Man of Honour
Anyone use these for work calls/meetings? If so, what are they like and how does the battery hold up over a full day? I currently use QC35 but they can get quite sweaty and quality in Zoom as an example sounds quite bad and there's no ANC control when on calls.

Associate
Anyone use these for work calls/meetings? If so, what are they like and how does the battery hold up over a full day? I currently use QC35 but they can get quite sweaty and quality in Zoom as an example sounds quite bad and there's no ANC control when on calls.
Yep, all day. And I didn't use my QC35s for calls for exactly that reason, the 2way audio was terrible.

Transparency mode on AirPods Max is ideal for work calls and I listen to music in between. I have typically been charging them every 2-3 days if that.

Man of Honour
Yep, all day. And I didn't use my QC35s for calls for exactly that reason, the 2way audio was terrible.

Transparency mode on AirPods Max is ideal for work calls.
Thanks. So the 2 way audio issue is not just limited to me then? :D It's ridiculously bad, but they're a great headset for films and music when travelling.

I currently have AirPod Pro's but sometimes people struggle to hear me. I also have a Jabra Evolve2 65 provided by work and they're okay but not exactly comfortable for longer periods of time.

Associate
Yeah there's likely some Apple proprietory "specialness" for it but I think the main difference is the bluetooth spec, Bose QC35s had BT 4.1 and AirPods Max have BT 5.0 allowing for more bandwidth on 2way

Soldato
For people wondering why so expensive.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPods+Max+Teardown/139369

look at the difference in construction and build quality compared to the Bose and the Sony’s.
You can't argue that the aesthetics of the internal components is much better, how much of that equates to better sounding or quality headphones is mostly irrelevant though. The only complex components I can see there are the hinges.

Soldato
It’s not all about what you can see, it’s also about how they feel. I don’t own a pair of these but I have no doubt they make my Sony XM2s feel like fisher price in comparison. It’s the quality of the build which is ultimately what you are paying for.

At the end of the day, you could buy a Ford with all the same specs and features as a BMW. But people still buy a lot of BMWs at the end of the day despite them doing exactly the same job because they are just nicer overall.

Commissario
Two days in and I have no doubt that the sound is superb. I've been using them while working, listening to albums that I'm very familiar with and I can't fault the sound one iota.

But this is a big change of usage for me. I usually have music playing in the background while working, either the radio or just streaming if I fancy something other than the radio. I don't know if I'll get into the habit of wearing headphones but in the honeymoon period, I am loving them.

I'll see how I feel after a week or so but at the moment, I have a strong suspicion that they might be going back. I was very keen to try them and with the current situation, there was no other way to do that.

The 'case' is a joke though. Whoever thought this was a good idea at Apple deserves to be fired.

QG0r6o3.jpeg

Man of Honour
What's the use time of these? Can they last a full day of work calls, listening to music, watching Twitch etc? Can you use them while they're charging?

Commissario
Can they last a full day of work calls, listening to music, watching Twitch etc? Can you use them while they're charging?
From my experience over the last two days, yes.

They claim 20 hours life with ANC and spatial audio turned on. I've seen reviews that suggest that's a conservative estimate especially when listening without ANC.

Back
Top Bottom