***AKG Q701 Official Owners Thread***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
bender_shutupbabyiknowit.gif

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Van Damme cable arrived, I goofed up and didn't realise it has a 6.35mm jack end so have had to order an adapter though at a right angle so actually works out better. In future when I upgrade amps it will likely have 6.35 anyway so this may well work in my favour for the long run.

Beefy cable but nice and soft/flexible with some heavy Neutrik terminations.

AKG_Q701_vandamme.jpg

Associate
Loving mine so far, I need to order one of them wool covers for the leather band though( Edit, Done: Estimated delivery between Wednesday, Oct. 15 and Friday, Oct. 31) . Them bumps are not a great idea, other than that, they are very nice on the ears. I do need to purchase an external sound card though for my computer as I'm currently using on-board sound (Asus Hero) just struggling to pick one at the moment!

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally got round to modding my Q701 headband.

First cut out all the fake stitching and then cut off all the hell bumps. I also forced a large needle through all the stitching holes as they dont really go through the headband which took quite awhile as the headband is very tough stuff.

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

Next I made a new pad out of neoprene wrapped in fake black alcantara.

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

Once the glue had dried I stitched the one side with lime green thread. Im a total n00b at crafts so this took a few hours over a few days. I may colour the thread on the underside of the headband black as its not the neatest of jobs.

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

Still to sew the final side but overall im hoping it turns out kinda oem looking and nice and comfy.

DSC_0179.jpg

Soldato
I managed to get the last pair of these on the drop that ended a few days ago, need to get a headband cover ordered, can't wait to get a hold of them!.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Funny he mentions less mids/air in the sound post sticker mod yet my own observation is that there was little to no difference in any other area other than improving sub bass depth.

Soldato
I hear the same as you with my K702s, just a lot more deep bass.

I also didn't notice the bass becoming less controlled and tight, it sounds the same to me, just more of it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
All the more reason to not put complete faith in those kind of graphs and articles I guess :p Trust your own ears with it connected to your equipment!

Soldato
I agree and so does the graph - it shows no reduction in the mids.

I didn't notice any stark differences to the sound stage either, it may be slightly reduced but as it was huge to start with I didn't really notice.

I'm wondering about getting the gel pads and seeing what they do to the sound, besides, these angled pads are hard and provide a lousy seal.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The angled pads are the best pads, they direct the sound from the otherwise flat earcups the correct direction into the ears and account for the soundstage somewhat. I had the gel pads and didn't like them at all because they reduced the soundstage and character of the sound that made the headphones so unique. They are more comfortable but sadly I'm not willing to sacrifice sound quality for some extra comfort. Same went for build quality (re: X2 purchase recently).

Back
Top Bottom