AKG Q701 - Roughly £100 before duty

Caporegime
OP
Hmm I might get the Filo x3 and the 535se. Should be a good combo from what I've read on head fi.

If you do get the X3 make sure you update the firmware - i think some people have had issues with it.

£100 for it is a brilliant price as well. At least £30-£60 saving to be had there depending on customs.

This website is sure enough going to ruin me. The fiio x3 is in a special deal with limited numbers. So be quick. Only 4 left atm.

Soldato
Cheers for the link.

These look interesting - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/shure-se535 - anyone own a pair?

I've had three pairs, one of these and two of the predecessor (without removable cables). The sound quality is excellent (as you would hope), but the treble rolls off a bit so if you like treble they may not be for you. I found them less clincal/cold than my Westone 4Rs and more comfortable to wear for long periods of time. Shure also have better cables for on the go e.g. handsfree and iphone remotes.

Otherwise, the only thing that put me off was that the build quality never seemed great. The first pair the cables failed, warranty replacement. The second pair failed in the same place just outside warranty which was annoying. The 535 I had eventually ended up with the girlfriend (I prefer the westones) and is still going strong so maybe they've improved on build. Shure did offer a great warranty service.

Associate
just wann make sure my order went through

i have put my card detail in and in my transaction section is says

"Status: Active (ends in 2 days)"

"Payment Status:pending:

is this correct? nothing to be worried about my order has been placed and they will take money out in 2 days correct?

Caporegime
OP
just wann make sure my order went through

i have put my card detail in and in my transaction section is says

"Status: Active (ends in 2 days)"

"Payment Status:pending:

is this correct? nothing to be worried about my order has been placed and they will take money out in 2 days correct?

they take the money when it ships from AKG I believe.

The process is Manufacturer -> Massdrop -> Buyer.

So they shall take the money out tomorrow night I believe when the deal ends and they have final numbers for AKG. Over 1200 units have been sold so it's been a very very good deal but this also means the larger the number the slower I imagine the whole process will be.

AKG getting over 1200 units together and then stacking some pallets up to ship to massdrop may take some time. Then Massdrop will need to individually package each one and individually set up delivery arrangements to the end buyer.

So it's a very long lead time. I expect to see mine mid July. If it gets here faster they must have a good team and process in place.

Fantastic price though so I'm willing to wait 3 weeks for it.

Audioengine A5+ Desktop Speaker any good?

They are £330 here in the UK and very highly reviewed.

I would think so for that price

Caporegime
OP
hmm the above or corsair speakers and DAC /amp wish buy the anue t1 or the new anue x1 pro

i have never heard either so i cannot say - read some reviews.

beware the shipping on those speakers internationally is like $115.

therefore I would go for the corsairs personally from the UK.

AUNE T1 is a lot more "fun" as you can tune the sound signature by rolling valves/tubes.

there is a thread on the AUNE T1 on here so you may want to look through that first.

I cannot speak for the X1 pro but I have heard it's good and it works with more inputs (T1 is USB only for DAC or DAC + AMP and RCA only for headphone amp).

I love the T1 - with an upgraded tube the music comes alive.

Caporegime
OP
First I have heard of mass drop.... Can they be trusted?

Otherwise cracking deal

They are very well known. You haven't heard of them because it's a US company and the majority of deals are for US citizens.

Also HUKD doesn't allow foreign sites, it's UK sites only. I posted the deal on there and it was removed stating UK sellers only are allowed. Before then lots of people had liked it and went for it. Some of them were also skeptical but they done their research online and it all came back good.

Head Fi doesn't allow them because sponsors want you to buy direct from them for much more expensive. But you can normally see people say stuff like "I missed out on the drop deal", etc.

They come very well regarded and reviewed. I used paypal and my credit card so I have double protection regardless.

What about warranty?

No idea, I assume it would be with the manufacturer as standard with any product tbh. Send it to AKG's UK or EU headquarters. No point shipping it all the way back to america.

They are £400 RRP headphones, the chances of them breaking or coming broken is very unlikely. Unless of course you mishandle them.

What’s the catch?
Since we operate drops instead of selling products as a retailer, the process takes longer. We have to collect everyone’s money, place the order, receive the product, and then ship it back out to you. Depending on who we’re ordering from, this could take anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks. We also don’t offer product refunds, since we can’t resell the products individually. Drops work best with product enthusiasts who know exactly what they want to buy, and would rather buy it with their friends for a better price, than getting it right away from the store (at a higher price).

Is Massdrop an authorized seller of each product, do you offer product warranties?
Massdrop isn’t a store or retailer - we’re an online platform that makes it possible for people to buy together. As a result, our relationship with vendors is less typical than a normal online store. The best way to handle warranties, any product defects or malfunctions should be handled directly with the manufacturer first. If they’re unwilling to honor their product warranty, contact us within the manufacturer’s warranty period and we’ll coordinate the product exchange or repair on your behalf.

What is Massdrop's return policy?
Unfortunately we do not accept returns for the products that you purchase on our site. Since we sell products through our drops, we do not carry inventory and we can’t resell individual items that have been returned. Manufacturers do not allow us to return unsold or returned products. We run all of our drops for seven days so that people signing up for a drop have time to become knowledgeable about the product beforehand, and know what they’re getting. If you’re not sure, ask other people in the group and they’ll help you decide if the product’s right for you!

How do you ship your products?
Products ship from the manufacturer to Massdrop's fulfillment center in a freight shipment. Once they arrive, we immediately package and send the product straight to you using a cost effective courier or postal service. Some manufacturers are willing to ship directly to you, in which case it will skip our warehouse. It depends on the manufacturer and their policies.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
i've just whacked it all onto credit cards and hoping i have enough when the bill comes through. HD600, AUNE T1 plus 4 additional tubes, AKG Q701.

i should have bought more than one (don't know if mass drop allows that though) to sell some on at auction, would have pretty much paid for everything if i done that.

Caporegime
OP
Added myself to the drop, pair of white Q701's. Interested to see how they compare to my X1's. Quite excited :D

Someone compared them in the discussion.

Less bass, more mids and a wider soundstage iirc.

These cans are perfect for competitive FPS gaming. They also do well with music too, but it all depends on what type of sound you prefer.

Associate
Added myself to the drop, pair of white Q701's. Interested to see how they compare to my X1's. Quite excited :D

The Qs are technically an upgrade. Cleaner, tighter, more refined with a wider soundstage. It just preforms better and is referenced level. The X1 do have more bass but they are grainy and don't have the technical ability of the Q. When it comes to hip hop and other kinds of music that have a lot of bass the X1 will be more enjoyable but again the Qs are referenced level neutral and pretty fast sounding.

Back
Top Bottom