AKG Q701 - Roughly £100 before duty

Caporegime
OP
Q701 are a very neutral, almost analytical headphone. Perfect for my ears and set-up :p

time for you to sell yourself so you can get on this deal - you know yourself it's a ridiculous price when you see what it sells for over here

i couldn't say no when i saw the price myself. although the last thing i needed was another pair of headphones.

Caporegime
OP
lol i know that i mean from the massdrop i assumed you had bought all your stuff from there "HD600, AUNE T1 plus 4 additional tubes, AKG Q701"

I got Aune T1 and HD600 from a uk retailer (the same one in fact - flubit)

additional tubes were sourced from ebay and another forum/website by emailing the owner.

massdrop have the older version of the AUNE T1 on sale (the one rids has) I have the MK2 which is £120-£130 over here.

the only thing i have purchased from massdrop has been the AKG's, shipping is far too much on heavy goods, plus i'm now skint lol

Soldato
Aune will pair well with the Q701, but you may need a different tube to avoid the Q701 sounding too cold/analytical. Adds to further cost and complications.

Soundblaster Z is the other, cheaper, alternative - as per your Sound Card thread.

Soldato
time for you to sell yourself so you can get on this deal - you know yourself it's a ridiculous price when you see what it sells for over here

i couldn't say no when i saw the price myself. although the last thing i needed was another pair of headphones.

I've been home for 12 days, I've worked 6 night shifts (I havent managed to get a shift for the past 4 days :(), earned £850. But the damn NHS wont pay me until 28th July. Completely broke (£2.57 in my account) until then.

Kinda had my heart set on upgrading my speakers next anyway, cans are barely 5 months old yet.

Caporegime
OP
the aune x1 pro is a non tube dac/amp with more inputs.

the aune t1 is the tube tac with a solid state amp, only uses USB though for DAC purposes. the x1 has every input you can think of.

Soldato
Contemplating these or the fidelio x1, i grabbed some HD595 from raven in the MM and they are great for gaming, really wide open sound with clear distinctive separation but for music i find them to be too harsh in the treble, the they are fatiguing and realy unsuited for most of the music i like to listen to.

Im wondering if these will fill the hole or will the phillips be better, i have read that the x1 can be fatiguing and also a little forward in the highs,. I do love the look of the philips though!

All this said im not running an amp yet, im looking at buying a O2 amp/dac combo, i can get a kit to diy for £100 for the dac and amp with case, is there any reason why either of these cans would be a bad match for the Amp/Dac?

Caporegime
OP
Fidelio X1 aren't as perfect as some people make out. First of all I find them hugely microphonic. If you like to move about a lot then don't bother buying them. Microphonics are coming either from the hinges on the cups or from the headband.

I think it might be a tight or loose screw on tthe hinges or as i have long suspected the hammock type headband.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/3420

It's a headphone which should be used when sitting still.

That one huge issue aside it's a brilliant headphone but £95 for a Q701 is a stupid, stupid price. Paying double for a fidelio X1 IMO would be not worth it. At £180 for the X1 your better off getting flubit to give you an offer on the HD600 (I got mine for £201).

Basically if you like to move about or have a big head forget about the fidelio x1.

Otherwise think about the value for money atm, fidelio x1 doesn't really offer that compared to this deal or the HD600.

It also depends on how much you value bass (x1), neutrality (Q701) or ultimately SQ (HD600)

Associate
I have a set of Q701 I used for about 2 years before getting my current set of cans.

My only gripe with them is that the bumps on the leather headband are pretty uncomfortable, especially so if you use them for a long session.

Otherwise the sound quality is pretty awesome, used em with a matrix m stage.

Caporegime
OP
I like a punchy bass that is driven and firm but not overpowering, the type that is at the forefront but not the center stage.

You could get Q701's and then use an equalizer. The comfort issue is something that is looking to be a problem though. At this price though you can buy and sell them on for a profit no doubt.

You looked into Beyerdynamic? DT770, DT880 or DT990?

Associate
It's a shame they don't have the AKG K702 65th for a lower price. They are that perfect mix of Q701s detail, staging etc but with the Sennheiser HD650/600s warmth and lush mids and smooth treble plus lovely bass.

They have also sorted the headband bumps out woth the 65th!

Caporegime
OP
It's a shame they don't have the AKG K702 65th for a lower price. They are that perfect mix of Q701s detail, staging etc but with the Sennheiser HD650/600s warmth and lush mids and smooth treble plus lovely bass.

They have also sorted the headband bumps out woth the 65th!

The price on them is ridiculous.

Since you have owned the Q701's iirc, can the headband be removed easily for modification?

It's something I will want to do if I find it uncomfortable (shaved head).

Soldato
The headband bumps work great for me, not problem with years of use on the K701s and a year or so with Q701 thus far.

Lots of times I wear them for a full day with no issues or headband "burn", even with short hair.

It is like they designed it for my head :p

Back
Top Bottom