Alan Wake 2

I watched a review and I still don't really understand what this game is.
Best way to think of it, is (much the same as Alan Wake 1) that its a linear story based game, like something akin to playing a Stephen King novel or an episode of the X-Files. Its much more in line with old school adventure games , which admittedly is a genre that you dont see much of these days. Think more Disco Elysium than Wolfenstein :)

Something wonky going on there because I have more than 50fps with DLSS in 1440p in Quality mode on my 4070.

yep must be.

Just fired up the game and tested both screens

4k everything maxed with DLAA (no dlss) getting 70fps
also tried 3440x1440 everything maxed with DLAA (no dlss) over 100fps

My GPU usage is 100%, and CPU usage is super low like 10% and I am getting low FPS, hmm, need to investigate this further. And yes this is with frame gen.

My GPU usage is 100%, and CPU usage is super low like 10% and I am getting low FPS, hmm, need to investigate this further. And yes this is with frame gen.

If GPU usage is 100% then CPU doesn't matter, it could be 1% CPU usage and it still wouldn't matter

Best way to think of it, is (much the same as Alan Wake 1) that its a linear story based game, like something akin to playing a Stephen King novel or an episode of the X-Files. Its much more in line with old school adventure games , which admittedly is a genre that you dont see much of these days. Think more Disco Elysium than Wolfenstein :)

I'd probably enjoy it but not for full price, so I shall wishlist it for future.

Sure maybe there is some issue somewhere, although this guy is doing some testing and he is getting low fps too with 4090.

Yeah but if you look he is at 4K with Quality DLSS, you can see at 35:08 that he is at 3840x2160, so wouldnt surprise me that he is getting fps in the 40s. You're at 1440p on a 4090, you should be getting way more than 50fps, as I say, I get more than that with my 4070 and RT on and most of the other settings on High

I installed new drivers last night, but I have just re-downloaded the drivers again manually this time, installed and now I am getting 3 times as many FPS, over 120FPS with 4090 on quality so all good now. Was kinda going crazy getting such low fps, was ready to press that refund button. I don't remember having such an issue before, ever.

Last edited:
I installed new drivers last night, but I have just re-downloaded the drivers again manually this time, installed and now I am getting 3 times as many FPS, over 120FPS with 4090 on quality so all good now. Was kinda going crazy getting such low fps, was ready to press that refund button. I don't remember having such an issue before, ever.
Huzzah ! Felt that there hadnt to be something wonky there, glad you found the cause !

Just uninstalled got a full refund of my £54.99 thanks to Epics no quibble refund policy thank god! :eek:

Gameplay is so boring its worse than Control which was pretty tedious :(Remedy should have kept to the Alan Wake 1 gameplay formula. In 2-3 years when this is a budget title & or given away free I might revisit it :rolleyes:
I'm sorry but AW1 feels rank in comparison to AW2! Go back and play it now and you'll hate it.

I hated it's clunky movement when I played it back in the day, I couldn't understand how a company that had made such a good 'handling' game/engine like MP1/2 (2 especially) which is ps2/xbox/cube era, could make sucha terrible engine/player dynamic. AW1 IMHO feels like an inside joke cash grab, it's got strong 4th wall break vibes as if it's a literal parody P take of itself?

I tried SO hard to like it back in the day and recently when I replayed it so I could do the final DLC for Control which involves AW...

I know MP1/2 is action blah blah blah, but that's not the point I'm making, the entire presentation be it the story telling, the feel, the handling of the environment and it's character interactions, the npc's/enemy movement/AI, just blows AW out of the water, I also think it looks better graphically, especially on the PC version with period correct hardware maxed out ala a 9800 XT? (I had the 9600XT at the time and it looked amazing at 1600x1200 on my 19" Dell CRT)

So TLDR they've got no excuse when it came to making AW1, as they've proved they have perfected story telling/atmosphere/game engines/character movement/voice acting etc etc...

What we got was a weird P take of itself that you could never take seriously with some of the dullest characters ever and the worst voice acting in a game I've ever witnessed, along with splicing really stupid b movie grade silly plot moments in where it's meant to be tense/serious along with what felt like major filler unoriginal padding inbetween, then some thoroughly stupid wacky bits at the end, I just don't get what they were thinking, then the 2 DLC's they just reused the levels in reverse pretty much and then messed with the plot more, I mean that first DLC with his annoying best mate/manager just standing there rambling whilst you pointlessly fight stupid amounts of enemies in levels you've already done but starting at the other end first, blatant filler content/lazy writing/lack of development, it was the equivilent of driving on a race track in reverse in a game... Then that 2nd DLC, more reused BS and just a waste of time.

I pushed myself hard through all of that just to do the last DLC of Control that featured AW2, that ended up pretty decent.

For balance though, I'm quite liking this one, it's what it could have been in the first place regardless of how pretty it looks, they've proved in the past no matter the era they could make something all round awesome in each aspect ala MP1/2.

I do agree the whole piecing together stuff on the wall is clunky/somethings things don't stick to the wall properly and it's linear. The gameplay/story telling/movement/'handling' of the characters, is on point this time though.

I genuinely would rather have this whole setup but just about Casey/Saga just investigating some nasty murders ala True Detective Season 1 stylie... Than have another AW game, but I am genuinely despite how it sounds playing this with an open mind... Just never ever make me play the 1st game again, I legit would rather swim in lava!

Anyway that's my hyper critical moan about AW1 and so far positive 'for what it is' AW2 experience.

Back
Top Bottom