Alan Wake 2

Edit*
Oh yeah, HDR does work and looks good, but it says it's maxing out at 500 nits whereas my screen is capable of 1060 nits. Other games detect 1000 nits fine like Cyberpunk but the HDR brightness doesn't go above 500 on the slider in AW2 so this must be a bug. Enabling HDR mode in-game when NOT in HDR mode in Windows does trigger the HDR mode in Windows to enable, whic is nice. It does not however revert back to SDR mode when you exit the game, not nice.
The game uses your Windows display peak brightness. The settings in the game is for average brightness which is paper white in other games.

The game looks great, but the menus are extremely clunky to navigate. Why can't I use my mouse to do so and why isn't there a mouse pointer?

The game uses your Windows display peak brightness. The settings in the game is for average brightness which is paper white in other games.
I'm playing on Nvidia's GeForce NOW Ultimate cloud gaming service to get that pathtracing goodness and it's annoying I can't adjust the peak brightness, it's stuck at 1015 nits which is too high for my 780 nit LG C1 TV.

Why developers can't give you the option to either use the Windows 11 calibration app info or set the brightness manually is beyond me.

Last edited:
Plenty of talk about the game itself?

It's less like AW1, more like Res Evil 2 and remakes - That's more than enough praise.
I'm over 7hrs in too.

Yeah but......if the game didn't provide as many screenshot opportunities would you still like it as much? I only say this because you talk 99% of the time about graphics and not gameplay so you have an obvious bias/interest towards that and performance stats (and that's perfectly fine).
Nipped over to the console thread for it but there's like one person posting about it lol.

Last edited:
Yeah but......if the game didn't provide as many screenshot opportunities would you still like it as much? I only say this because you talk 99% of the time about graphics and not gameplay so you have an obvious bias/interest towards that and performance stats (and that's perfectly fine).
Nipped over to the console thread for it but there's like one person posting about it lol.
It seems quite slow and clunky at the start, but it's a great tech demo. I will have to see how it develops.

This is the impression I am getting from comments I see here and online, overwhelmingly focused on one aspect. Hopefully turns out enjoyable overall :)
I'm reluctant to judge it so soon, but my favourite Remedy games are Control and the first Max Payne game. I did play Alan Wake 1 when it finally came out on PC and I thought it was okay, but it was very popular on consoles.

Last edited:
I'm reluctant to judge it so soon, but my favourite Remedy games are Control and the first Max Payne game. I did play Alan Wake 1 when it finally came out on PC and I thought it was okay, but it was very popular on consoles.

It certainly looks atmospheric from what I've seen posted in this thread. Never finished Control but I didn't hate it so that's a good sign, maybe? I rarely finish any game tbf.

It certainly looks atmospheric from what I've seen posted in this thread. Never finished Control but I didn't hate it so that's a good sign, maybe? I rarely finish any game tbf.
Playing in a dark room alone without distraction. For me its all about the atmosphere, keep the anxiety high. To much action dilutes the tension. It's not a spooky action game like Control and Max Payne. It's a slower horror, that is scarier. If Alan Wake = Alien, Control an Max Payne = Aliens.

Last edited:
The Windows display peak brightness in HDR mode is 1060 nits, so this can't be the case.

Edit* Typo

I don't know what else to add about the gameplay about it though? It's survival horror and it's been said plenty of times how it tracks with other games like Res Evil, so automatically everyone knows what to expect. And saying too much about the gameplay will end up spoiling it as much of the way you play through the characters revolves around certain things and choices that many will consider spoilers.

Plus this game is one of two that utilises the latest graphical tech, so naturally the focus is on that tech on a tech focused forum.

Last edited:
The Windows display peal brightness in HDR mode is 1060 nits, so this can't be the case.
The slider maxes out at 500 because that is the paper white setting, not peak brightness. Most games use 200 as default, setting 500 would be way to high. If you have maxed it thinking it was a peak brightness bug, try reducing to default to start with.

You can't set peak brightness in the game options as it uses the Windows display, eg the default Edid for all aw3423dw is 1060 the game will use that, unless you set a different peak in the hdr calibration tool and windows is using that profile.

Last edited:
I might get this as watching more of the gameplay and seeing reviews, does sound good.

What settings and fps are people with 3080 getting? Particularly at 3440x1440?

The correct setting for you will be to get a 4090 :p :D

I can't decide if my review video is too waffly or too long or too short. Videos are hard:o - I do talk and show various settings, and what it translates to in the game itself in the subway subway section of the game. Might re-record a new one as I need to leave the subway and show a dense detailed area.
The slider maxes out at 500 because that is the paper white setting, not peak brightness. Most games use 200 as default, setting 500 would be way to high. If you have maxed it thinking it was a peak brightness bug, try reducing to default to start with.

You can't set peak brightness in the game options as it uses the Windows display, eg the default Edid for all aw3423dw is 1060 the game will use that, unless you set a different peak in the hdr calibration tool and windows is using that profile.
Ah this makes sense, the wording on the HDR screen in game is a mixed bag, they should have added context to this page. So that makes sense then, the peak brightness is dictated by Windows HDR calibration, so that's fine as I'll be seeing 1060 nits. The paper white is the slider in the game, which should be 200 nits which is about standard too. I will reset that!

Last edited:
I've played about an hour and a half and it is definitely got me interested. Never played the first game and never heard of the other comparisons except resi evil and never played those, so coming in with fresh eyes. Must admit I am quite surprised by
my single gun use so far

Probably has the more scary wooden area I've every played in! :))

Other than that, is a slower pace Alan Wake, with the story being developed deeper. Gun play is better, but still feels artificially limited in the ammo you find/carry. Control scheme I would say is better.
If you've seen and licked stuff like True Detective Season 1... it goes that way. I'd say it has a bit of "From" to it too.

The correct setting for you will be to get a 4090 :p :D

I can't decide if my review video is too waffly or too long or too short. Videos are hard:o - I do talk and show various settings, and what it translates to in the game itself in the subway subway section of the game. Might re-record a new one as I need to leave the subway and show a dense detailed area.

Ah this makes sense, the wording on the HDR screen in game is a mixed bag, they should have added context to this page. So that makes sense then, the peak brightness is dictated by Windows HDR calibration, so that's fine as I'll be seeing 1060 nits. The paper white is the slider in the game, which should be 200 nits which is about standard too. I will reset that!

Where is your video?

Just started it and I don't mind the slow pace and reading through the case file, even if it is a little basic for my liking. I grew up with X-Files etc, so the story telling is my jam :)

Performance isn't fantastic. Barely scrapping 60fps using dlss balanced @ 2k on 3070FE / 5800X3D :|

What settings and fps are people with 3080 getting? Particularly at 3440x1440?

Your 3080 will run it fine, but don't concern yourself with what the settings say they are because even low settings looks better than most games you will have played in the past. Graphically this is a true next gen title. As others have said, the settings should be High, Ultra and Psycho instead of Low, Medium and High because people don't like running something on low settings no matter how good it looks

Back
Top Bottom