Alan Wake 2

I like the overall level of polish in the game but the story and voice acting are yet another example of how far video games still have to go in order to compete with top-tier movies/tv/books for quality & believable storytelling. Some (a lot tbh) of the script and voice acting is hilariously bad, so many of the conversations sound unnatural, proper B-movie grade stuff... that's probably being kind as well.

Still, im getting enough enjoyment just out of how pretty it looks.

Last edited:
I like the overall level of polish but the story and voice acting is yet another example of how far video games still have to go in order to compete with top-tier movies/tv/books for quality & believable storytelling. Some (a lot tbh) of the script and voice acting is hilariously bad, so many of the conversations sound unnatural, proper B-movie grade stuff... that's probably being kind as well.

Haven't noticed that myself at all, and usually is something i find quite jarring.

990 Pro here and in Watery this is what I saw:

S0easdE.png

Bear in mind that HWINFO when set to 20ms polling will use 10% CPU on a 12700K class CPU, so if your CPU is lower performance, then you can affect your game framerates.

16 hours in, it feels long, man. Just defeated T&M duo.

I suspect I still have 20-30 hours to go..

I love it, but it's definitely a slow burner.

One thing i don’t get when playing as Alan Wake is the shadows. Sometimes you can fend them off just with normal flashlight, but then it doesn’t always work and you end up getting clobbered. And usually it’s a one two three combo from multiple before you can blast them with the torch and get enough shots off, and you’re dead. Anyway to tell which ones are gonna thump ya?

Almost finish and the games graphics are easily the best thing this year

It's also easily the most realistic and most eye catchingly great reflections I've seen in a game

Last edited:
One thing i don’t get when playing as Alan Wake is the shadows. Sometimes you can fend them off just with normal flashlight, but then it doesn’t always work and you end up getting clobbered. And usually it’s a one two three combo from multiple before you can blast them with the torch and get enough shots off, and you’re dead. Anyway to tell which ones are gonna thump ya?
Look at their right hand and you should make out a crow bar type shape if they are hostile

Never enjoyed the first one tbh, I remember borrowing it from a co-worker and getting bored with it very quickly.

Might "borrow" this at some point just to see how badly it runs.

So im at the chapter where you walk around a city and use the little magic light thing to switch between worlds or whatever it is and im wondering when the pace picks up a bit ? Im all for a slow burn but i think i've shot about 5 things in total in about 3 hours worth of playing the game.

Also what is the point of the shoebox in safe havens? How is anyone even finding enough stuck to pick up and put in it ? I still only have 2 guns (pistol and shotty) and the only stuff i ever find to pick up are things like bandages and ammo and i always have plenty of room left in my standard inventory.... what amazing things am i meant to be finding that are worth storing in the shoebox ?

Last edited:
So im at the chapter where you walk around a city and use the little magic light thing to switch between worlds or whatever it is and im wondering when the pace picks up a bit ? Im all for a slow burn but i think i've shot about 5 things in total in about 3 hours worth of playing the game.

Also what is the point of the shoebox in safe havens? How is anyone even finding enough stuck to pick up and put in it ? I still only have 2 guns (pistol and shotty) and the only stuff i ever find to pick up are things like bandages and ammo and i always have plenty of room left in my standard inventory.... what amazing things am i meant to be finding that are worth storing in the shoebox ?

It's not an action game so don't expect Max Payne level fights. It's more survival horror / atmosphere and story. The shoebox can be hard to fill but there are loads of trinkets to collect if you do the nursery rhymes that would clutter your stash.

Decided to get this last night after finishing everything I possibly could in CP2077. Was going to wait for a sale but this thread made me decide to go for it. Only got through chapter 1 so far but think I’m going to really enjoy this one. The game play reminds me a bit of last of us, probably because it’s mainly about the story and it being linear. Definitely gets the hairs on the back of your next to stand up. It was 1am, playing in the dark with headphones on and I was worried the missus was gonna come and startle me, think I would have had a full on panic attack at that point

Went to play today and lost about 3 hours of progress - my last save is back right at 1 hour where you meet the first cop and have just investigated the body. Don't know if I will have the will to continue

Are you sure that it actually saved? The game uses checkpoints to save and then you can manually quick save at break rooms, so seems weird progress would be lost :o

Back
Top Bottom