Alan Wake 2

Ok, saw Mack's complete video and... I agree with him... mostly. Indeed some things don't make sense (like Saga talking with ease in her conversation with her daughter or between her and Alex) or that she's not more scared of what's going on.
Or that Control is not all over that area!
On the other hand, while Mack goes "she should have called the national guard" and "everything feels on rails"... well, we're actually
playing a story that's already been written
. That's the plot of the series, so she can't be different than she is, I suppose - so the story is a bit worse for not making her fear more! :p Makes you think about life and free choice, too! :D

Enemies are not as many as in original AW, so each encounter has more... gravitas. But, the limited ammo, while I suppose it makes sense for a dream like reality where everything is against you, it kinda gets annoying as is the same ol' cliche. No sprint or quick save is also annoying. No jumping too. Too close FoV as well and I guess you can't see your entire character's body as (seen in some clip on Twitter), the feet just float left, right, backwards and forwards. They haven't bother to make the inverse kinematics work properly...

With that said, although not perfect, is not a 4 as well. So Mack just puts himself in the opposite with those giving it a 10. Which clearly isn't.

PS: Damn, I would love some Vampires Bloodlines on this engine or pretty much any other game that I've played so far! :D

Last edited:
I do find it odd that they changed Saga from Quantum Break - I mean, I get it - diversity and all that - but if you wanted a POC FBI agent why not just call her something else rather than use the name of an already existing character in the Remedy-verse?

is-anderson-in-the-trailer-saga-anderson-from-the-return-v0-96knqnglou1b1.png

I do find it odd that they changed Saga from Quantum Break - I mean, I get it - diversity and all that - but if you wanted a POC FBI agent why not just call her something else rather than use the name of an already existing character in the Remedy-verse?

is-anderson-in-the-trailer-saga-anderson-from-the-return-v0-96knqnglou1b1.png
Tbh, she was in quantum break so briefly that I had totally forgotten that they were even the same person.

Yeah DLAA, DLSS Quality, DLSS Balanced and DLSS Quality all look exactly the same to me in this game. So may as well use the one with the best performance

Last edited:
Reactions: mrk
Another new patch out!

The 08 update contains over 200+ individual improvements and fixes to the game.

Global

-Various localization fixes, such as improved subtitle timings for all languages
–Improved localized audio for live-action cinematics
–Various audio-related improvements and additional polish
–Improved lip sync in some instances
–Fixed various graphical issues in the environments
–Fixed various minor issues in cinematics
–Minor improvements to image aliasing in Performance mode and Xbox Series S
–Improved lighting
-Fixed lighting bugs in multiple locations
–Various UI-related fixes and additional polish
–Various gameplay fixes and improvements
–Minor gameplay finetuning
–Improved auto-aim for specific circumstances
–Fixed rare player character animation issues
–Fixed various issues in the Case Board
–Fixed various map issues
–Several conversations failing to trigger and thus blocking progress later have been fixed
-Fixed Rose’s dialogue choices, sometimes not being selectable, blocking progress
–Fixed a rare issue with Saga’s lines not playing when going to the Sheriff’s Station, blocking progress
–Resolved a potential problem in the player getting stuck in a Case Board Tutorial
–Fixed exploration rewards for Lighthouse

Mission specific

INVITATION:
-Fixed a bug where Saga could get stuck in the environment (“Crazy forest”)

CASEY:
-Fixed potential issue with players able to get stuck when falling from ladders
-Fixed potential issues with Dark Presence (it remains a threat)
-Fixed a rare crash

ZANE’S FILM:
-Fixed a bug where Alan could fall through the environment

SCRATCH:
-Fixed a bug where Saga could fall through the world
-Fixed a bug in where a gate could get locked after reloading a save game, causing the player to get blocked from progressing
-Fixed an issue where, in rare circumstances, the player could end up outside of the game world when opening the map
-Fixed an issue where, in rare cases, the Lighthouse key could not be picked up

WE SING:
-Fixed a bug where Alan could get stuck in the environment

ROOM 665:
-Fixed an issue that caused the Oceanview Hotel Lobby Echo not to align correctly (this one was really annoying; we apologize)

MASKS:
-Fixed an issue where if the player performed specific tasks in an unpredictable order, the mission progress could get blocked

DEERFEST:
-Fixed an issue (much to Rose’s chagrin) with physics-related props that could block the player in and halt progress

COME HOME:
-Fixed an issue where the player, in rare instances, could not exit the radio, TV, or manuscript interact modules.

PC specific

–Fixed a bug that could cause graphics settings to reset when launching the game

–Improvements to PC Window handling logic
–Fixed mouse cursor sometimes not appearing in menus
Narrator: It did not fix the Shadow Detail resetting to Medium...

Last edited:
Seems loads of PS5 players are seeing many of the fixes are in fact, not fixed.

Also a bunch of people wanting the shimmering using FSR to be fixed on PS5, little do they know that this will never be fixed as that's what FSR does :p

It's the perfect scene due to ground detail and specular highlights as well as shadow details :p

And at the same time they couldn't make some balloons round or glass or a window to properly break... Speaking of which, you can't shoot a lock off, you need a screwdriver! (lol). You can't go through the window, although you could fit, nope, the glass doesn't even break when you shoot it!

Bummer. I've set the difficulty to "Story", no point having some artificial limit to ammo and guns. As I play more, the shortcomings are becoming more visible.

Last edited:
And at the same time they couldn't make some balloons round or glass or a window to properly break... Speaking of which, you can't shoot a lock off, you need a screwdriver! (lol). You can't go through the window, although you could fit, nope, the glass doesn't even break when you shoot it!

Bummer. I've set the difficulty to "Story", no point having some artificial limit to ammo and guns. As I play more, the shortcomings are becoming more visible.
I think you have to look at it as an Adventure game, like the adventure games of old, hence the limitations on what you can do. Think of your normal horror film where you watch it and think why dont you just smash the window and escape the haunted house that way, or ..dont go into the cellar alone or the normal action film where you see the protagonist kill a bad guy and you think why arent you picking up the assault rifle that the bad guy just dropped. If you remember the adventure games of yesteryear thats what Alan Wake 2 is really, its a hark back to those adventure games. The old point and click ones, its just in 3d :)

It's a game in the end to be fair. I know expectations are higher in 2023, but if we expect everything perfect and life like you won't be getting much joy out if gaming.

Just imagine applying that logic to Resident Evil games which I really enjoy :p

I agree they should strive to do better, but sometimes you need to just forget about all that and enjoy the game for what it is ;)

Back
Top Bottom