Alan Wake 2

Looks like the CPU cores are not being utilised properly which in turn isn't feeding the GPU fast enough hence why the GPU utilisation is sub 80% most of the time. Can you leave task manager running in the BG and expand the view of the performance tab there to show all cores and then quit the game after a few mins to show how the core utilisation spread looks?

Yeah I'd say it's a good experience as a visual and audio treat if you have a competent PC AV setup. I don't think the tediousness is worth the £40 I paid as a game, but with 28hrs to complete, I think what it did well made up for the rest. Plus there is free DLC to come so hopefully that adds something worthwhile.
I thought it was boring as well.

Can anyone help me out.
This is running terrible on my system, Using digital foundry's settings at 1440p and I cannot hit 60 fps. My gpu and cpu utilisation is low when i thought at least my GPU should be hitting high 90's. I do have raytracing on low but even with it off i still cannot get a smooth 60fps

Here's a video, I few dead bodies about so warning for the kids
3700x is holding you back massively. Upgrade to a 5800x3D and i'd probably still turn ray tracing off unless you are on a 4000 series card.

Looks like the CPU cores are not being utilised properly which in turn isn't feeding the GPU fast enough hence why the GPU utilisation is sub 80% most of the time. Can you leave task manager running in the BG and expand the view of the performance tab there to show all cores and then quit the game after a few mins to show how the core utilisation spread looks?
Will give this ago tonight thanks

3700x is holding you back massively. Upgrade to a 5800x3D and i'd probably still turn ray tracing off unless you are on a 4000 series card.
Do you think ? Didnt really want to upgrade lol

Edit: Just watched a hardware unboxed video comparing the 2 cpus and theres a huge uplift didnt think it would be that big especially at 1440p albeit he is using a 4090 but i imagine i should see a decent upflift on my 3080 at 1440p with the 5800X3D, is that the best cpu to upgrade too ? I know they have jljust released a 5700X3d which isnt much cheaper to behonest.

Last edited:
Not going to solve the CPU issue obviously, but had you also seen the other video that digital foundry put out a few days ago?

I've tried this in Cyberpunk and Warhammer Darktide myself with a 2080ti and have seen tremendous gains (+70% in places), albeit with some minor artifacts here and there. Maybe there could be a boost to performance to be had there for you in the meantime?

Last edited:
Reactions: mrk
Not going to solve the CPU issue obviously, but had you also seen the other video that digital foundry put out a few days ago?

I've tried this in Cyberpunk and Warhammer Darktide myself with a 2080ti and have seen tremendous gains (+70% in places), albeit with some minor artifacts here and there. Maybe there could be a boost to performance to be had there for you in the meantime?
Thank you, yes I have seen it but have not tried to implement this as of yet. Not really played a high tier game in awhile so didn't realise my cpu was so out dated ha

Not really sure what im looking for when i do that, im gonna try another demanding game at the weekend and see what happens in that

Really enjoyed the first part in the woods, then got to the city part and the underground train station and the game just became a boring chore.. Worst of all, the light/shadow effects especially the bit with the orb when you first come to the underground station gave me a migraine. Uninstalled :(

I loved the game overall but the constant manually going back and forth between different worlds using the board got boring as hell and just annoying. I really hope if they do a third game they either remove or drastically cut down on this annoying mechanic.

I found capping framerate to 60 made the odd dip under that unnoticeable without a fps counter.

I would try to keep path tracing on for this game.
Ok, yeh i should not worry about the fps counter myself, as like you say, i did even see it go down to high 40's, but without counter on it was still smooth to my eyes, i just went from a 2015 build 6700k and 2080gpu, was just expecting to be able to max all games out and get like 100fps.

Last edited:
Ok, yeh i should not worry about the fps counter myself, as like you say, i did even see it go down to high 40's, but without counter on it was still smooth to my eyes, i just went from a 2015 build 6700k and 2080gpu, was just expecting to be able to max all games out and get like 100fps.
Ha ha yeh I hear ya, I went from 3060ti to 4090. And can max out nearly everything after having to play with settings for years but ray tracing has thrown a spanner in the works for maxing everything.

Do you think ? Didnt really want to upgrade lol

Edit: Just watched a hardware unboxed video comparing the 2 cpus and theres a huge uplift didnt think it would be that big especially at 1440p albeit he is using a 4090 but i imagine i should see a decent upflift on my 3080 at 1440p with the 5800X3D, is that the best cpu to upgrade too ? I know they have jljust released a 5700X3d which isnt much cheaper to behonest.

Don't upgrade becaue of one poorly optmnisied game.

Back
Top Bottom