Alan Wake 2

The colour grading is no different in HDR, it's the art style decision to look like a noire novie sort of thing. It does look good but on OLED seeing everything wishy washy like that isn't what is expected.

You're confusing the actual games with the episodes in the DLC. There are 3 episodes in the Night Springs DLC and part of this DLC includes another expansion too which says coming soon when you click the expansions menu on the main screen.
Ah, silly me, have bought AW2 but not played it yet, or bought the dlc, thx for explaining, cheers

Reactions: mrk
The colour grading is no different in HDR, it's the art style decision to look like a noire novie sort of thing. It does look good but on OLED seeing everything wishy washy like that isn't what is expected.

If it was "made" for HDR then they'd release the trailer in HDR too which proves it wasn't made for HDR lol.

Thought there was only Alan Wake and Alan Wake's American Nightmare, what is episode 3 ? thx
You're confusing the actual games with the episodes in the DLC. There are 3 episodes in the Night Springs DLC and part of this DLC includes another expansion too which says coming soon when you click the expansions menu on the main scree,

You're confusing the actual games with the episodes in the DLC. There are 3 episodes in the Night Springs DLC and part of this DLC includes another expansion too which says coming soon when you click the expansions menu on the main screen.

Colour grading is no different but it's certainly no washed out in hdr mode, I actually found some scenes to be maybe too saturated like the sunset/sunrise at the lake scene. Either way, the game is hugely better in hdr especially given how it's based on dark areas and bright lights which are part of the gameplay.

Last edited:
If colour grading is no different then it /is/ washed out because that's what the colour grading is doing to get the intended art style :p

HDR just makes the emissive light sources pop more.

Edit* I just tried gain with HDR but this time ran the calibration for HDR again as have not done that since getting the replacement, no idea why this would make any difference since the profile is still the same as is the hardware lol but now the HDR mode looks more crisp than before, it s a little less washed out but it's still there, just more punchy now. Of course black isn't black due to the art style so there is that still...

In HDR, the level of destruction inside the mansion always amuses, it's great fun just shotgunning around :D

Last edited:
If colour grading is no different then it /is/ washed out because that's what the colour grading is doing to get the intended art style :p

HDR just makes the emissive light sources pop more.

Edit* I just tried gain with HDR but this time ran the calibration for HDR again as have not done that since getting the replacement, no idea why this would make any difference since the profile is still the same as is the hardware lol but now the HDR mode looks more crisp than before, it s a little less washed out but it's still there, just more punchy now. Of course black isn't black due to the art style so there is that still...

In HDR, the level of destruction inside the mansion always amuses, it's great fun just shotgunning around :D

HDR makes games pop far more than SDR regardless of colour grading. It's the same for every game (obviously assuming, it's done correctly and not just a 8 bit sdr being "faked" to get 10 bit hdr etc.), with sdr, they all look incredibly flat, with sdr, you are only using 8 bit colour, with hdr, you are getting the full 10 bit of colour.

Reactions: TNA
@Nexus18 @TNA I found out that if you use the NV App or GFE to take screenshots in HDR games, that the .pxr screenshot can be opened in the current version of Windows Photo Viewer (just set it as the default for pxr files) and then you can right click save as jpeg, it correctly tonemaps to JPEG producing a better tonemapped result than if the same screenshot was captured direct to JPEG in SDR mode whilst playing the game.

This is quite the game changer :cry:

ZAkwq7G.png

The HDR pxr on the left, the re-saved jpeg on the right. No need to use third party tools any more to tonemap HDR screenshots to SDR now and then faff with a slider.

Last edited:
Jumped back into this tonight for Night Springs, had £2 in my EPIC account, I assume from buying AW2 when it released, so only cost me a tenner to upgrade. Seems like a good deal to me as I really enjoyed the main game and there will be a second expansion on top of these three short episodes.

I did the three night springs episodes and thought they were pretty good. Not sure whether to play through The Final Draft or not... I've got mixed feelings over playing the entire game again to get the 'real' ending. I only get to game in the evenings, is it really worth doing?

Last edited:
I did the three night springs episodes and thought they were pretty good. Not sure whether to play through The Final Draft or not... I've got mixed feelings over playing the entire game again to get the 'real' ending. I only get to game in the evenings, is it really worth doing?
For me not really. It's like new game + with subtle changes you can miss if you gun through it . Obviously you get the "true" ending but I wouldn't say its worth it like say the classic RE2 where they actually changed up the scenarios and characters you meet. I just did it to do the side content I forgot to do in the first playthrough.

Getting very annoyed as barely into the game and I can't get anywhere. Wihtout spoilers, I am in a mourge for the first time. I have to find where someone went. I can't seem to leave and I have done all the things I can with what I have found.

Very annoying!

Getting very annoyed as barely into the game and I can't get anywhere. Wihtout spoilers, I am in a mourge for the first time. I have to find where someone went. I can't seem to leave and I have done all the things I can with what I have found.

Very annoying!

I that exact same experience! I had to look up a youtube vid of what to do....

Very annoying!
I was the same. I found the game hugely tedious in a lot of places which was a shame as I loved the first AW.

Back
Top Bottom