Alan Wake 2

People said the same about cyberpunk when the new system requirements came out citing the launch of the game as proof that the new update would be poorly optimised etc.

Yet look at it, the only game engine currently out that has the best utilisation of all hardware resources and technical optimisation.

I get the gut feeling that AW2 will follow a similar path.
I still think that was bs personally, having tried the OG and 1.6 GOG then 2.0 GOG then PL I literally noticed 0 difference in fps vs settings, even with RT on psycho. I chose DLSS3.5/FG/Reflex/RT Psycho just because it's so well optimized and I wanted to tell if I could genuinely tell DLSS was even on/if there was noticable input lag vs the 'hyped' claims in the Nvidia promos on PL/2.0 tech, and fair play to them, I couldn't, and it would happily run native 1440p maxed out before I played with RT on psycho, I mean some areas I was 90 fps!, and that was on a month old driver I'd forgot to update, the update tbh made 0 difference, but yeah, it sips vram/requirements IMHO, and rightly so it should for what a 3 year old game now with a patch and some dlc, regardless of the patch it is now an 'old' game/engine, so it shouldn't magically tank IMHO like a modern/newer high requirement engine?

Craziest thing about that video is the ending where it flashes up "Full RTX" and 128fps...looking at their spec chart from a couple of pages back I'm wondering what spec gave Full RTX @ 128fps :)
IMHO it's using the marketed DLSS3.5/FG/Reflex? I mean I could be wrong but based on when they did these claims with CP 2.0/PL and they actually turned out to be legit (from my experience anyway)

CP 1.6-2.0 gave me stupid fps when trying this out obviously excluding using RT, but it def actually does work as I tested it myself, and I honestly could not believe with my 4070 i'd gone from native 1440p maxed out 60-90fps depending on what area, to 120-135fps with dlss3.5/FG/Reflex!
So despite me usually wanting to claim BS, they actually did what they claimed, which regardless of who makes the hardware/game etc, sometimes you have to bite your tongue and say, ok fair enough then!

As for once if it actually does what it says and now in multiple games, then that is going to sell the hardware to those that don't care enough to be that anal about spotting wether it's native or not and just want a solid 60+ with all the eye candy, so TLDR it's in their interests to actually make it do what they claim on the tin...

I'll obviously always prefer native, but when it genuinely makes me forget it's not/still looks decent/does the job, I'm past the point of caring when my entire rig is silent/not a furnace against my knee/not turning my room into a sauna, all whilst my gpu/cpu chills at 53-63C in silence on a few cheap BeQuiet fans and my GPU hasn't even hit the OEM 65C fan turn on point?
Cant really fault gaming at that point, all whilst including my monitor/speakers/pc is drawing 240-300w at the wall! I.e. running on fresh air and costing me nothing to rinse it 6-8 hours an evening thanks to a bit of cheeky undervolting :)

I want to make it clear though I couldn't care less who makes the hardware, but if it means I get a chilled room/unburnt leg/silent rig/low monthly energy bill whilst being able to take the mick with excessive gameplay each evening, then I'm all for whatever witchcraft achieves it/whoever makes it!
I'm a cheap date what can I say haha!

Last edited:
I've restarted Alan wake 1 in preparation (I'm going to forget about American nightmare for the time being)

Didn't realise this was quite so soon.
Going to have to power through for release lol.

RX6800 at 3440x1440

I'm not too concerned about performance.
I'm hoping to buy a Lenovo Legion Go so it'll be interesting how that handles at 720p/800p

I'm just as excited for the score as a bit of an amateur audiophile. Cannot wait to just forget the world for a few days and all that's happened this past week and just envelope into the musical score once again.

Why do all the gameplay clips they release have such low frame rates ? bit worrying if the promo material has poor fps...

Guess it could be console footage
That 30fps console 'experience' life m9 :cry: but it's 'so immersive doe!' having to choose between RT 'fidelity' or turning it off to have a 'solid' 30-60 fps lmao.

I was gutted with this generation of consoles, only ones I haven't bothered with, and 0 games I can't get either on last gen or on pc. What a waste.

And too think they have the nerve to write 8k on the box of the ps5 - I smell another sony lawsuit like when they took linux away on the ps3 without telling us haha! And fwiw I'm a sony guy but usually buy bother if there are exclusives...

Last edited:
On console it doesn't really matter with a controller tbh. There is some PC footage out there from recent times, RTX 4090 + DLSS 3.5, obviously that looks nice and smooth.
I just think this gen of consoles was majorly overhyped and not worthy of the next gen bs marketing.

Considering the price too at the time and lack of games even to this day that aren't on the previous gen and not even being able to play say a ps4 vershon game at a stable 60 fps 1080p throughout all sections using a PS5- Ghost Of Tushima for example, is pretty embarrassing, as is having to choose between RT and not a stable 30fps or between 30-60fps when you're lucky with it off neither of which are native 4k yet having the cheek to brand it as 8k and 120hz compatible marketing wise.

Scumbaggery at its finest!

FWIW though, I will say though I went back and did the Ada Wong dlc for resi4 remake on my ps4 slim the other day (as I haven't used it in like 6 months since building the main rig) as I'd done the main game on it originally first before I'd even got it on the recent pc I built back in July, and yes not as pretty, not 60fps but some game engines are still very nicely optimised for the old hardware...

So fair play to them, played it on my mates ps5 too, not bad but by the time you factor in a tasty 4k big time which let's face it you'll want if you're console gaming from a distance on a sofa, you're way over a grand in at that point plus the games...

I play all my SP pc games with a ps4 controller at the desk with a 32" 1440p from a slight distance with the bucket seat chair on a gangster lean haha, as I just think a controller is less archaic tbh and more immersive for SP and I like rumble etc...

Def think I should have just plugged my pc into my tv though, sucha a amazing experience with a 65" but I worry about HUD and crosshair burn in so opted to damage a new monitor instead haha!

Last edited:
Reactions: mrk
I've just installed AW1 on Steam, played it when it first launched but mostly forgot everything, now is about a good a time as any to revisit Bright Falls I guess :D

I've just installed AW1 on Steam, played it when it first launched but mostly forgot everything, now is about a good a time as any to revisit Bright Falls I guess :D
Don't hold your hopes up, it sucks, I think it's VERY overrated personally, replayed it after Control recently before doing the last DLC of Control as AW is in it, and yeah it was very underwelming and linear, I'm hoping AW is more Control like, as I loved that!

Last edited:
@keef247

3+ years now gaming on our 65” OLED and no screen burn yet.
I do play around 4-8 hours a night when I do, so it is a big worry for me, that when I next watch a movie, I'll see a heath bar, crosshair, speedo, ammo and crosshair :cry:

When I played the ps4 slim the other day then went back to the pc the next day the 32" felt very small :rolleyes::( First world problems I know, but sucks as I've only just changed it from a 27" haha!

Last edited:
I do play around 4-8 hours a night when I do, so it is a big worry for me, that when I next watch a movie, I'll see a heath bar, crosshair, speedo, ammo and crosshair :cry:

When I played the ps4 slim the other day then went back to the pc the next day the 32" felt very small :rolleyes::( First world problems I know, but sucks as I've only just changed it from a 27" haha!
If you're concerned around burn in, why not play specific games that'll be played under say 50-100hrs. I have 1 Oled that is 8 years old, used heavily for gaming for 3-4 years and on occasion still used for long 3d vision sessions, and no sign of burn in. Same for my current c9, 3 years and no burn in. I do game in a dark room, so my brightness is low which probably helps a lot.

Last edited:
I just think this gen of consoles was majorly overhyped and not worthy of the next gen bs marketing.

Considering the price too at the time and lack of games even to this day that aren't on the previous gen and not even being able to play say a ps4 vershon game at a stable 60 fps 1080p throughout all sections using a PS5- Ghost Of Tushima for example, is pretty embarrassing, as is having to choose between RT and not a stable 30fps or between 30-60fps when you're lucky with it off neither of which are native 4k yet having the cheek to brand it as 8k and 120hz compatible marketing wise.

Scumbaggery at its finest!

FWIW though, I will say though I went back and did the Ada Wong dlc for resi4 remake on my ps4 slim the other day (as I haven't used it in like 6 months since building the main rig) as I'd done the main game on it originally first before I'd even got it on the recent pc I built back in July, and yes not as pretty, not 60fps but some game engines are still very nicely optimised for the old hardware...

So fair play to them, played it on my mates ps5 too, not bad but by the time you factor in a tasty 4k big time which let's face it you'll want if you're console gaming from a distance on a sofa, you're way over a grand in at that point plus the games...

I play all my SP pc games with a ps4 controller at the desk with a 32" 1440p from a slight distance with the bucket seat chair on a gangster lean haha, as I just think a controller is less archaic tbh and more immersive for SP and I like rumble etc...

Def think I should have just plugged my pc into my tv though, sucha a amazing experience with a 65" but I worry about HUD and crosshair burn in so opted to damage a new monitor instead haha!
Resolution and FPS is more about tech specs, what the console can output, just like maximum res and refresh for a GPU. I doubt anyone will win if they go to trial.

Other than that, they were quite decent at launch. Problem is they target 4k and that's simply not doable in the long run even with (ultra) high end GPUs. They were/are 1080p, maybe 1440p machines and nothing more.

They do need an nVIDIA GPU inside. DLSS and RT performance would help tremendously. And a 16/32 x3d processor. :)

Resolution and FPS is more about tech specs, what the console can output, just like maximum res and refresh for a GPU. I doubt anyone will win if they go to trial.

Other than that, they were quite decent at launch. Problem is they target 4k and that's simply not doable in the long run even with (ultra) high end GPUs. They were/are 1080p, maybe 1440p machines and nothing more.

They do need an nVIDIA GPU inside. DLSS and RT performance would help tremendously. And a 16/32 x3d processor. :)
They will win as it's trade description act and many other things like not fit for purpose/misleading etc...

Don't you remember when Sony literally paid out millions to owners of the phat original ps3 40/60/80gb models that originally came with the ability to install a dual boot of linux, then Sony removed it from a future firmware and got sued...

So deviously marketing things like 120hz/8k on something that struggles to do 60fps 1080p on a ps4 game in backward compatibility mode is a no brainer for a lawsuit to Americans, they love a court case... Hence how the PS3 lawsuit started!

They don't even do 4k 30fps on the ps5 when they claim it's just variable resolution trickery and mildly 1440p at best but hardly ever. I love my consoles and have many, but this release on both xbox/ps was junk, they should have waiting longer vs doing it merely because it's been the same amount of years since the last release - like they do with every generation, and the same with slim/pro/super slim/special edition releases, sigh...

If you're concerned around burn in, why not play specific games that'll be played under say 50-100hrs. I have 1 Oled that is 8 years old, used heavily for gaming for 3-4 years and on occasion still used for long 3d vision sessions, and no sign of burn in. Same for my current c9, 3 years and no burn in. I do game in a dark room, so my brightness is low which probably helps a lot.
Yeah personally, I don't like limiting myself gaming time wise nor running it at lower brightness - defeats the point of buying something that'll burn my retinas and look glorious doing it haha, so I just settled for a 32" 1440p 165hz g sync compatible monitor in the end haha. I don't mind if I hurt that with HUDs etc vs my tv :)

Last edited:

What do you mean your brightness is low? You don't use HDR with it? If you do, brightness/OLED light is automatically at 100 because that's what it takes to let the panel display bright highlights where needed and utilise the amazing contrast to its fullest.

OLED light at 100 in HDR works differently than OLED light at 100 in SDR which would be actually insane:p The latter would not only wear down the panel quicker but your eyes along with it:P

If you always stay in SDR then fair play, shouldn't be set anywhere near max in that case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom