Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Soldato
How was it not really her fault?
She was 100% responsible for firearm safety, and personally loaded the gun Baldwin used.

By the look of it, she should never have been given the job in the first place. If you give Homer Simpson control of a Nuclear Reactor, who's fault is it if it goes critical? Sure, Homer pressed the button, but the person who gave him the job should be responsible too?

Last edited:
Associate
How was it not really her fault?
She was 100% responsible for firearm safety, and personally loaded the gun Baldwin used.
Seemed completely inappropriate for the job and a cheap hire and box ticking exercise in the first place. I feel sorry for her in the sense that overall she is a victim of greed, exacerbated by her own inner incompetence for her role.

Soldato
By the look of it, she should never have been given the job in the first place. If you give Homer Simpson control of a Nuclear Reactor, who's fault is it if it goes critical? Sure, Homer pressed the button, but the person who gave him the job should be responsible too?
Exactly and they will use her as the scapegoat. There a multiple failures at many levels. Baldwin is responsible for two of those failures and two levels.

Soldato
Who actually trained her to be armourer? Her father? If he did he did a pee poor job.
Baldwin should also be culpable because he pointed the gun a someone and pulled the trigger even though the script didn't call for that action.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it was definitely her fault but that's actually less relevant: as armourer it was her responsibility. And she failed at that so she is now held responsible.

Yeha I have to agree.

I appreciate this analogy is a bit silly because it would never be allowed to get to this stage.

But imagine you are going on holiday, your whole family on the plane pack full of other holiday makers children etc.

And the captain gets in the pilot seat and thinks, I dont have a bloody clue what I am doing, but **** it these things basically fly themselves right, lets puch some buttons and go, and the plane then crashes.

It was her responsility, so unless she went to her employer and made it damn clear she didnt know what she was doing, and they made her anyway, I can only think she either, carried on regardless knowing she was incompetent, or was too stupid to realse she was, and someone ended up getting killed because of it.

Associate
I'm sure she's not completely incompetent. Most likely got a bit careless about things. Why bother checking the ammo, no-one brought live rounds in right.. It's just corner cutting and sloppiness. I'm sure she knows what she should have done, and what the rules are.

Soldato
I'm sure she's not completely incompetent. Most likely got a bit careless about things. Why bother checking the ammo, no-one brought live rounds in right.. It's just corner cutting and sloppiness. I'm sure she knows what she should have done, and what the rules are.
From what I've read they were doing target practice with live rounds during down time, basically messing around with an antique weapon for fun and then she didn't properly check it wasn't a live round in the gun. She absolutely was incompetent.

Soldato
From what I've read they were doing target practice with live rounds during down time, basically messing around with an antique weapon for fun and then she didn't properly check it wasn't a live round in the gun. She absolutely was incompetent.

Crazy irresponsible.

Always check any gun is empty before you put it away, completely unloaded, magazine out, bolt out (if you can) use a breach flag or strimmer wire through the barrel as a visual aid to show it's empty.

Anything short of that is just asking for trouble.

Oh and never rely of a safety either, you should never have to unless you are police or military etc

Caporegime
From earlier in the thread...

BBC reporting the armourer was new to the job and this was her first film.
Hmm - cutting corners with non-union people? Diversity hire?

I'd have assumed most of these armourer roles would be ex-military men etc..

Do you have to drag "woke" into everything?

Do we still think that this was a good/well-qualified armored or was she a bit of a nepobaby/diversity hire rolled into one and completely out of her depth? hmmm

Would an ex-military SNCO or warrant officer in the positon of armourer have been too timid to assert himself on set when it came to weapons safety? Doubtful.

She's not happy at the jury:
Hannah Gutierrez-Reed described the jury as “idiots” and “***holes,” prosecutors said, after they reached a verdict in two hours. The 26-year-old is to be sentenced on Monday in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
[...]
Hutchins was hit in the chest and Joel Souza, the director, was struck by a bullet in the stomach. Mr Souza survived his injuries but Hutchins did not.

In calls from jail, Gutierrez-Reed blamed Hutchins’ death on the doctor and paramedics on set. She also claimed that the judge and special prosecutor’s office conspired against her, the outlet reported.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This thread is quite funny to look back on - not only some people sticking up for the armored because her dad is well known but also trying to pretend that actors can't possibly have any responsibility at all.

To be honest, you all seem to be living in some fantasy land whereby the actor repeats all the necessary steps that are someone else's responsibility, in making sure a firearm is safe to have its trigger pulled.

Like I said, I garauntee Alec will face no legal repercussions for this.

Why on earth do you think that's a "fantasy land" though? Why should basic weapon safety not be adhered to on film sets?

Because it is.

Do you believe that Alec is in some way responsible for this? If it was indeed a live round fired, should he be prosecuted for negligence?

If it was a blank and there was debris in the barrell, should he be prosecuted for negligence?

Yes, he's partly responsible IMO. If it was a live round then I think he and the armourer perhaps should be prosecuted.

Well, he isn't going to be, which would infer that you are wrong.

"I just made up a prediction and therefore can infer you are wrong"

I wish I had your psychic powers. Could you drop me a PM with next week's lottery numbers please?

As for Jono's psychic powers:
A grand jury in New Mexico has charged Alec Baldwin with a fresh count of involuntary manslaughter over a fatal movie set shooting in October 2021.
Previous charges against the Emmy award-winning actor were dropped last April, just two weeks before a criminal trial against him was due to begin.
Local prosecutors have since shared "additional facts" from forensic tests on the weapon used in the shooting.

So Alec Baldwin was, in fact, prosecuted... which would infer that Jono is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom