*** Alien: Covenant ***

Associate
g6Q7UZ8.jpg.png

We're approximatley a year from the release of Alien: Covenant which seems to almost be a reboot of Prometheus or at least a more fan orientated prequel to Alien.

A new thread seemed a good idea? if not please remove:)

Some good set photos and story elements are surfacing which I think will please many fans:

As noted by Malevolence in the original Prom 2 thread:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18694599&page=6

Scified.com has a great collection:

https://www.scified.com/news/new-al...ting-depiction-of-an-eradicated-alien-species

and an interesting theory about Weyland-yutani!

https://www.scified.com/topic/42025

Note:

This is looking like it's the movie most fans were hoping Prometheus would be.

I enjoyed Prometheus and hoped to see Shaws story evolve... this doesnt seem to be case unfortunatley but its news which will please many who
felt it wasn't what they expected and voiced there views repeatedly in this thread:D can we keep this tread on topic using the original Prometheus thread to moan please:)

Prometheus 2 Thread : http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18694599

Note 2: Alien 5 is also to come! which will take place after Aliens (many of the surviving original cast are on board!!!:D) but release has been delayed until after Alien: Covenant.

Additional Info:

Interview with John Logan (Screenwriter):

https://www.scified.com/news/screen...alien-covenant-facehuggers-and-chestbursters

The story so far seems to point to the 'Covenant' of the title being the central Ship with it's crew made up of Weylan - Yutani operatives

Images of crew Emblem :

https://www.scified.com/news/20th-...ial-alien-covenant-weyland-yutani-crew-emblem

The look and feel apparently will be in line with Alien. Technologically the 'Covenant' will be less advanced than the 'Prometheus'

Michael Fassbender has given some clues to this:

https://www.scified.com/news/unlik...-will-look-old-school-says-michael-fassbender

Previously it has been rumoured that we will see multiple 'Davids' with the original 'David' possibly being a protagonist...

more to come:)

[update]

21/6/16 - it appears 'Shaw' will appear in Covenant!!:cool:

https://www.scified.com/news/breaki...cially-joined-alien-covenant-shaw-will-return

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Not specifically Alien : Covenant news but looks worth checking out to get ready for the return of an old friend:cool:

Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report

Those sound effects... takes me back to my first encounter with the Xenomorph:cool::o

Associate
OP
Commissario
and an interesting theory about Weyland-yutani!

https://www.scified.com/topic/42025

Parts of that sound very much like parts of the" Prometheus : The Complete Fire and Stone" graphic novels, which from memory were stories started before changes to the script for Prometheus.
I think the book mentions the writers/artists had to make changes to the GN's at fairly short notice when they were informed the script had changed for the film.

One of the things I've found interesting about Alien and Prometheus is how many of the ideas from one version of the film script turn up in other media related to them and vice versa.
I think parts of the rejected Aliens 3 scripts made it into 4 and effectively into Prometheus, I also seem to recall bits from various original Alien comics making it into the later films in altered versions (I'm fairly sure the end of Alien 4 mirrors a scene from the start of one of the comics from Dark Horse from before Alien 3)

Associate
OP
Parts of that sound very much like parts of the" Prometheus : The Complete Fire and Stone" graphic novels, which from memory were stories started before changes to the script for Prometheus.
I think the book mentions the writers/artists had to make changes to the GN's at fairly short notice when they were informed the script had changed for the film.

One of the things I've found interesting about Alien and Prometheus is how many of the ideas from one version of the film script turn up in other media related to them and vice versa.
I think parts of the rejected Aliens 3 scripts made it into 4 and effectively into Prometheus, I also seem to recall bits from various original Alien comics making it into the later films in altered versions (I'm fairly sure the end of Alien 4 mirrors a scene from the start of one of the comics from Dark Horse from before Alien 3)

I must admit I'm not au fait with the comics but I have read a few articles that follow the same train of thought Werewolf. I'll have to check them out it will have to keep me occupied until release:)

I've also read comments which point to Covenant having elements from the original 'Star Beast' script? perhaps things Ridley couldn't do in the 70's he's going to be able to do now:cool:

Giger's art was full sex and eroticism, most of it not particularly subtle either.

I always assume people have seen Giger's work. If the above offends anyone (really?) probably best not to look any further or at least be sitting down with smelling salts to hand!:o:D

Soldato
Fox and co made a mess of Prometheus. Started out originally as two prequel Alien films, then Fox decided they wanted to create a franchise separate from Alien. Lindelof was hired to rewrite Jon Spaihts' work into something which could go it's own way. Trouble is, because Lindelof was brought in when after pre-production work had started, he had to use much of what Spaihts had already created. So despite Fox and Scott's best efforts to pitch the film as something that was separate and only shared DNA strands with Alien, it was plain to see it was a prequel.

Lindelof got a lot of stick for his work on Prometheus, myself included. Knowing what I do now, I don't think that was fair really. The mess that was Prometheus, is down to the production companies involved. They should have went with what Spaihts started. Lindelof had an impossible task.

Can't say I have too much faith in this Covenant film being much good. I'm sure I read that there have been script re-writes with this too. It's Fox, so no surprise really.

Associate
OP
I'm so confused by the whole Prometheus thing. I thought that they weren't actually connected despite the obvious similarities.

I think Ridley said at the time he wanted to go back and answer the questions raised by Alien.

*Who was the Space Jockey?

*Why had the ship crashed and where had the hazardous cargo come from and what was it's purpose...?

*Who had left the warning beacon?

*What did the company really know before diverting the Nostromo?

Originally there were going to be three films which would ultimately link to Alien so I guess:

*Prometheus - new film in the Alien universe

*Alien : Covenant - Sequel to Prometheus more Alien elements and more familiar xenomorphs.

*Alien : ???? the purpose of the Engineers and the Xenomorphs is revealed with there creators also now part of the mythos. Linking to Alien allowing Ripley her first encounter...

*Alien 5: Picking up after Aliens we see what really happened to Ripley, Newt, Bishop etc

That's how I can imagine things will progress but who knows:cool:

Soldato
I'm against popular opinion in that I really like Alien 3, it's a decent film and the directors cut/workprint edit makes it a much better movie. It was a fitting end and I don't particularly want to see it wiped out. It;'s only Weaver/Fox interfering which made it such a mess on initial release.

Soldato
I'm against popular opinion in that I really like Alien 3, it's a decent film and the directors cut/workprint edit makes it a much better movie. It was a fitting end and I don't particularly want to see it wiped out. It;'s only Weaver/Fox interfering which made it such a mess on initial release.

Seen all the versions and its still not good. The directors cut improves it slightly but the entire film is lacking something I can't quite put my finger on. Also the CGI is an absolute abomination. Should have stuck to men in costumes. Its a shame really because the cast and location are brilliant.

Associate

Yes, switching directors during the shoot and actually greenlighting the shoot when the script wasn't even half completed was always going to end badly. Fincher spent most of his time directing scenes with no context. Weaver was hellbent on killing ripley so the entire thing was a shambles. The directors cut makes it into a half decent movie but it could have been much much better, I wont even mention the follow up.

Commissario
Yes, switching directors during the shoot and actually greenlighting the shoot when the script wasn't even half completed was always going to end badly. Fincher spent most of his time directing scenes with no context. Weaver was hellbent on killing ripley so the entire thing was a shambles. The directors cut makes it into a half decent movie but it could have been much much better, I wont even mention the follow up.

Some of the other scripts and script outlines I've seen for Alien 3 would have been utterly brilliant, and I'm fairly sure it was actually greenlit originally with one of the other scripts (the whole ex-prison planet with a monk like order is from memory very close to one of the early script ideas).

Soldato
Directors weren't switched during Alien 3, Fincher was there from start to finish once filming started.

Also there is only one piece of CGI in Alien 3 and that's when the head explodes, everything else is green screened, poorly though.

I'm an absolute Alien fanboy/nerd in case you didn't know.

E: Also there isn't a directors cut of Alien 3, I made a mistake in my initial post, Fincher barely acknowledges the film these days after how he was treated during production.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom