*** Alien: Covenant ***

Soldato
The crew in Alien are essentially normal, everyday people finding themselves in a situation that is way out of their depth. Ash is basically the scientific and medical expert. The rest of the crew look to and rely on him on these issues. Obviously he has alterior motives so he deliberately engineers the situation in service of his motives.

Ripley is a very capable officer, she makes a stand when it comes to following quarantine procedures when they return to the ship. Next day when the facehugger drops off she conveniently forgets all these objections and just welcomes him back without so much as a scan.

It's patently ridiculous but you gloss over it because movies.

Soldato
Lets abandon our planned, checked and double checked target planet to go chasing after this potential radio echo, what could go wrong :)?

There is a significant amount of screentime given to explaining why the captain makes that decision, it's pretty instrumental in some of the character development too.

Soldato
Ripley is a very capable officer, she makes a stand when it comes to following quarantine procedures when they return to the ship. Next day when the facehugger drops off she conveniently forgets all these objections and just welcomes him back without so much as a scan.

That could be easily explained in that when Dallas is off ship, she has command, once he's back it's his call. Also Ash has probably reported all is well and it's been accepted by Dallas and the crew. He is the science officer after all and apart from her personal dislike of him, she'd still respect his decision.

Soldato
Films of this type have to allow some stupidity or illogical things to happen. You can't have none, because the film would go nowhere.

I've not seen covenant, but Prometheus has many more stupid moments than alien. With better writing, those stupid decisions maybe don't stand out as much and they don't rely on as many to further the plot.

Of course, many of us could be a lot more critical these days and a lot less forgiving of characters doing silly things.

Caporegime
Seen this today....

I love how the landers are VTOLS yet because someone "doesn't like the terrain" despite it just being valleys and having good visibility that they have to conveniently land 8KM from the Engineer ship, reminds me of the start of rogue 1.... Also that scene in the lander medical bay might as well have been out of a 3 stooges movie, dumbass comes running in with a shotgun, comically slips on the huge pool of blood on the floor that she somehow managed to not notice, falls on her arse and shoots the ceiling. She may as well have run in wearing a clown outfit and have them replace the sea of blood with a comically oversized banana skin ffs.

Overall, bleh. Does anyone actually care about where the Aliens came from? Can they not just be a creature that exists somewhere without having some convoluted backstory that will have more holes in it than the average sieve? Having to explain everything about them just detracts from them imo, and all we're seeing now is the Alien is a product of Engineer\Human\Android dicking about.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not seen this yet hoping tomorrow or Monday night I will Be, however I always felt not knowing the alien origins was a nice idea as it would have been truly alien then

Soldato
Seen this today....

I love how the landers are VTOLS yet because someone "doesn't like the terrain" despite it just being valleys and having good visibility that they have to conveniently land 8KM from the Engineer ship, reminds me of the start of rogue 1.... Also that scene in the lander medical bay might as well have been out of a 3 stooges movie, dumbass comes running in with a shotgun, comically slips on the huge pool of blood on the floor that she somehow managed to not notice, falls on her arse and shoots the ceiling. She may as well have run in wearing a clown outfit and have them replace the sea of blood with a comically oversized banana skin ffs.

Overall, bleh. Does anyone actually care about where the Aliens came from? Can they not just be a creature that exists somewhere without having some convoluted backstory that will have more holes in it than the average sieve? Having to explain everything about them just detracts from them imo, and all we're seeing now is the Alien is a product of Engineer\Human\Android dicking about.

That's why I much prefer Covenant to Prometheus. It's primarily about aliens chomping people and the story part just links those set pieces together. Prometheus was all lore guff and no alien chomping.

Caporegime
One little detail i actually liked was the "goo" momentarily looks like a DNA strand when its getting dumped onto the Engineers below.

Overall it was a big disappointment, it came as no surprise when the Aliens appeared and how they appeared was nothing new either. Just a decidedly "meh" movie that doesn't seem to know what its doing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I get they picked up the transmission, but was that a known area / system, or just a wild coincedence that in the vastness of space they happened to be right next to the planet David and Elizabeth reached after the end of Prometheus?
I get the impression they'd not been able to scan it properly beforehand or something, maybe through the surrounding atmosphere/nebulae/spacey things and only got to look closer because they were following the signal trace. IIRC, they weren't that close to it in the first place. A few weeks out?

Soldato
Not seen this yet hoping tomorrow or Monday night I will Be, however I always felt not knowing the alien origins was a nice idea as it would have been truly alien then

Indeed. Not knowing some things is part of the appeal when it comes to some films; it leaves things to one's imagination. In the quest for more money, Hollywood will leave no stone unturned.

I can think of three film universes that have been made worse, because they have to show how something came about, or what happens afterwards, by making unnecessary prequels or sequels.

Soldato
Alien; obviously. ;) :p

Of course, just my opinion that they have been made worse; before someone comes along and says Alien prequels and Matrix sequels are good.

Soldato
Alien; obviously. ;) :p

Of course, just my opinion that they have been made worse; before someone comes along and says Alien prequels and Matrix sequels are good.

My bad, thought you meant 3 others :)

I agree with you but I do really like Covenant because as stated earlier in the thread, Alien is my favorite movie of all time and anything that expands the universe makes me happy.

However they've gone too far with this, they've removed too much mystery and it's very much less Alien, don't get me started on all the religious undertones as well :(

Soldato
The fact that they shrunk the Space Jockey in Prometheus and thought we wouldn't notice is very upsetting and patronising. Oh look it's actually just a space suit for a 7 foot man, please ignore the fact that the 1979 space jockey would be about 20 feet tall.

It was never a space suit and never will be. Scott is completely weeing all over his best work watering it down with simple and stupid ideas. Alien worked because that ship was so "alien". It was disturbing in the Lovecraftian sense that it was so unorthodox you could hardly wrap your mind around it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think what most people want to see is the colonisation of of the original LV-426 and their battle against the Aliens before Ripley arrived.

Soldato
I think what most people want to see is the colonisation of of the original LV-426 and their battle against the Aliens before Ripley arrived.

Read Alien: River of Pain...it's official canon so it kind of fills the gap. It's ok...not great and has stupid filler at the start and then skimps on the Alien action at the end.

Soldato
Just got back from watching it, I enjoyed it over all to be honest, much better than Prometheus. Crew just dumb in any science mention I doubt for 3 people they would risk 2000 people, I know it's a film and logic kind of goes out the window but even so :/

I'd give it 7/10

're above post id like to see the build up to lv426 and also what happened to hicks and newt in a good way not the ******** alien3 gave us

Back
Top Bottom