Alien: Romulus - Fede Alvarez (Evil Dead) to write/direct

Soldato
That expands a few things we've talked about in here (reason they're all so young) and shows so new "life cycle" things which look to be added to the Alien Lore which is interesting and closer to something in both the novelisation of Alien & Aliens but removed from the films.

I liked some bits (bright light behind rib-cage, practical effects etc), but other bits feel too "on the nose" for remember-berries i.e. Hey, you liked this scene in Alien, here's a carbon copy..............Hey, you liked this scene in Aliens, here's a carbon copy.........Hey, you liked this scene in Alien 3, here's a carbon copy..............Hey, you liked this scene in Alien 4, here's a carbon copy etc etc etc. I mean its gone past nods or homages in outright copy/paste.

Well, maybe not "new" really, just maybe new to film - The aliens tail which has always had a "point" on the end had been referred to in the novelisation's as a stinger which paralyses the host so that they could be cocooned, yet the films never showed that stinger/venom act and now in this film is an alien tail dripping yellow fluid (venom?) which isn't acid as its not burning the floor, and the tail coming out of an Alien cocoon which could be showing a new part of the alien lifecycle between chestburster and adult maybe?

Interesting to think about I think, or maybe not.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I am not a Aliens fans or expert outside the movies but i am a little baffled this is meant to take place between Alien and Aliens right? But i thought the Earth hadnt know anything about the xenomorphs until LV426? Only thing that i can think of this movie must be isolated in its own timeframe away from the other movies??

Last edited:
Soldato
Weyland-Yutani knew about the Xenomorph before the film starts as they already had the SOS signal, which is why Ash was added on at the last minute and why him being an android was kept secret from the crew (an android will obey WY's orders, no matter what), as per Special Order 937 that Ripley found after interrogating the ships computer, MOTHER.

Priority one
Insure return of organism for analysis.
All other considerations secondary.
Crew expendable."
— MOTHER's order directives

The reason given for using "space truckers" is that WY didn't want to use a proper retrival team as that would raise suspicions and add a risk of quarantine, which would spoil their opportunity to grab a potential bio-weapon. Lots of this is in the extened Lore rather than directly in the film but thats the gist of it although I know I'm missing out out bits.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Ah ok I missed that despite watching Alien many times but was under impression that orders were from mother's general directive on discovery of any Alien species rather than the xenomorph specifically. So they knew about these lifeforms at the crashed Alien ship hence send the Nostromo to investigate rather than them picking up the warning beacon in random(which they thought was a distress signal).?

Soldato
Thats my understanding of the events but that includes "not in the movie" Lore added by novelisations.

From my understanding, Ash was put there specifically to ensure the ships crew reacted "correctly" to events so that WY would get what they wanted to happen - i.e. make sure they react correctly once they "discover" the origin of the signal after MOTHER alerted them to it, then make sure they follow standard WY orders to set-down to investigate, then make sure a specimen is brought back onboard (Ash allowing Kane inside goes against the standard WY orders that Ripley quotes), and then once Kane is aboard, Ash's role was to do everything he can to ensure the specimen survives (stops Parker killing it at the dinner table etc) until his role is exposed. If he hadn't been exposed by Ripley, I think he would have eventually been forced to kill the crew anyway when they wanted to set a self-destruct sequence going.

As we later find out from Bishop, WY Androids are programmed with the 3 laws of robotics, but clearly Ash wasn't, which means that the people who made Ash (or programmed him at least) knew the potential outcome of the situation before they put him onboard the Nostromo, because a normal Android couldn't have done the same things due to the 3 laws stuff.

Of course its all just expansions to a film which never actually spelled out exactly "when" WY knew, which leaves the doors wide open for interpretation and debates like these.

Reactions: Kyo
Commissario
IIRC even in the films it is basically said that the company knew something was down there (presumably an unmanned probe or something picked up at least part of the signal), and knew that the government wouldn't allow them to bring it back to earth and would be interested in/demand that WY sat back whilst a government team made potential first contact with what appeared to be an intelligent species given the broadcast signal.

so Ash was placed on board and the ship was routed specifically to ensure that a signal was picked up, the ship woke the crew and things went according to the company plan.

Man of Honour
I only just realised Ian Holm played both Ash and Bilbo Baggins! somehow never realised it was the same actor albeit many years apart.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I was going to post the final trailer but i regret watching it. It kinda spoiled it for showing character deaths and the gist of what happens etc. :(

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I just said it would spoil it dude lol.

It does give you Dead Space USS Ishimura vibes.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was going to post the final trailer but i regret watching it. It kinda spoiled it for showing character deaths and the gist of what happens etc. :(

Yeah :( they should have just done a slightly longer version of the scene of the person in zero gravity sliding towards alien blood with the release date overlayed and left it at that. Now it has kind of ruined the movie though it looks like a good watch on a big screen.

Reactions: Kyo

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Yeah :( they should have just done a slightly longer version of the scene of the person in zero gravity sliding towards alien blood with the release date overlayed and left it at that. Now it has kind of ruined the movie though it looks like a good watch on a big screen.

That's why I didn't want.to post the final trailer cause the stupid things spoils and shows all the best parts. Why on earth would they do that??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom