Alien: Romulus - Fede Alvarez (Evil Dead) to write/direct

IMAx was incredible the sound , the atmosphere etc. it was so immersive and captivating. My seat literally shook and resonated when the ship was blasting up through the atmosphere. It just goes to show how important the writing, cast and production has to be. Still incredible for 80 mill budget. It puts a lot of big budget movies/TV shows thats pumped in $100 -300 mill to shame.

The practical affects worked really well. Don't click if you haven't watch it.

The Robots they built were amazing.

Last edited:
Its not as bad as the original trailers suggested but definitely is a spin-off like AvP not a proper Alien film.

It's like Blumhouse got the Alien license and made some fan fiction.

The CGI on
Not-Ash
was really bad and the ending bizarre.

@SkeeterUK I don't believe mentioning "that" word is a spoiler as its already been mentioned twice since in here since the films release, but I've covered it up using an inline spoiler as per the Forum Spoiler rules, just to be absolutely 1,000,000% sure.

Its not as bad as the original trailers suggested but definitely is a spin-off like AvP not a proper Alien film.

It's like Blumhouse got the Alien license and made some fan fiction.

The CGI on
Not-Ash
was really bad and the ending bizarre.

Sorry i am not following how is it a spin off from AvP? I do agree on the CGI Rook could have been better.

Last edited:
@SkeeterUK I don't believe mentioning "that" word is a spoiler as its already been mentioned twice since in here since the films release, but I've covered it up using an inline spoiler as per the Forum Spoiler rules, just to be absolutely 1,000,000% sure.
Oh has it, ok then. As i didnt know it was mentioned before.

And to the person saying it is a spin off type film like avp, i dont think it is.

Last edited:
Sorry i am not following how is it a spin off from AvP? I do agree on the CGI Rook could have been better.

I said spin off 'like' AvP - it's just inserting Alien imagery into a fairly standard mid budget sci fi film.

Fede def doesn't have the skills or vision of JC or Ridley Scott.

I said spin off 'like' AvP - it's just inserting Alien imagery into a fairly standard mid budget sci fi film.

Fede def doesn't have the skills or vision of JC or Ridley Scott.

Given the absolute state of the last couple of Scott movies in the franchise (or in general to be frank), coupled with fact he hates major elements introduced by Cameron (Queens for example), I think Scott lost his way a long time ago to the point this movie is better than anything he's done with the franchise since the first.

Yeah, they really should have went with an animatronic imo, sort of surprised they didn't given the excellent use of practical effects in other areas.

Given the absolute state of the last couple of Scott movies in the franchise (or in general to be frank), coupled with fact he hates major elements introduced by Cameron (Queens for example), I think Scott lost his way a long time ago to the point this movie is better than anything he's done with the franchise since the first.

This movie is just a remix of all the stuff that has gone before - specifically including Ridley Scott's last two movies - so to suggest it's better is laughable.

8/10

Enjoyed it a lot. The young girl gave off Ripley vibes by the end. The cameo caught me by surprise. Nice links to Prometheus and covenant.

Watched in IMAX and it felt really immersive and the dark scenes looked very good.

It's in the same leagues as Alien 1 and 2, miles better than 3 and 4 and slightly better than the 2 prequels.

Definitely want to watch it again when it hits streaming.

rp2000

This movie is just a remix of all the stuff that has gone before - specifically including Ridley Scott's last two movies - so to suggest it's better is laughable.

I'm not suggesting it's better than Prometheus or Covenant, I'm outright stating that it is.

I liked Prometheus but it wasn't really an "Aliens movie" as much as a "set in the universe of" and Covenant was outright terrible outside of Fassbender's performance as David.

Three of my top five movies of all time were made by Scott:

Blade Runner
Alien
Gladiator

When he does good work it's excellent, but he's lost the plot since Gladiator in my mind, and when he misses the mark he does so hard.

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting it's better than Prometheus or Covenant, I'm outright stating that it is.

I liked Prometheus but it wasn't really an "Aliens movie" as much as a "set in the universe of" and Covenant was outright terrible outside of Fassbender's performance as David.

Three of my top five movies of all time were made by Scott:

Blade Runner
Alien
Gladiator

When he does good work it's excellent, but he's lost the plot since Gladiator in my mind, and when he misses the mark he does so hard.

As I said before Romulus is pure fan fiction - almost like a cash in DLC to the main series.

As I said before Romulus is pure fan fiction - almost like a cash in DLC to the main series.

You're welcome to your opinion bud, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

It's the best Alien related media since Isolation in my mind, I do think it played into the fan-service element and trying to homage some earlier content a bit too much. I mentioned a page or two back I don't think it's perfect, but it's a damned good step in the right direction after decades of (largely) slop.

Edit/PS: Do you consider Aliens to be fan fiction? I ask because Scott infamously hates the inclusion Cameron made of the Alien Queen and other factors. In fact, there's a good chance that's the reason one didn't feature in Romulus. Given how I've seen the man act over the years I frankly think he was jealous of the success after Bladerunner became a commercial flop, and don't get me wrong I think that was a crying shame as it's an excellent movie but I digress.

Last edited:

That's in your opinion. While I did enjoy Prometheus and Covenant it was silly in parts and didn't make sense. Ridley Scott imo has lost his way with last few Alien movies.

Last edited:
Edit/PS: Do you consider Aliens to be fan fiction? I ask because Scott infamously hates the inclusion Cameron made of the Alien Queen and other factors. In fact, there's a good chance that's the reason one didn't feature in Romulus. Given how I've seen the man act over the years I frankly think he was jealous of the success after Bladerunner became a commercial flop, and don't get me wrong I think that was a crying shame as it's an excellent movie but I digress.
That's in your opinion. While I did enjoy Prometheus and Covenant it was silly in parts and didn't make sense. Ridley Scott imo has lost his way with last few Alien movies.

Ah so lets talk plot..

By what logic would there be a fossilised alien hanging around the wreckage of a ship that was previously nuked? Why would the company simply abandon its research station if the research was so important? Why would essentially a bunch of slaves have access to a ship? The cryo pods were essentially plot macguffins that made no logical sense. The lack of alien queen was purely so they could link to Prometheus and Covenant - which then led to the serious misfire in the last third. It also ruins the continuity between Alien and Aliens. Where did all the full grown zenomorphs come from at the end? The whole movie was essentially to set up a reboot of the end of most of the earlier films.

Also the nods to earlier films with characters saying classic lines was awful - one of the characters literally cringed as they did it lol.

I had to look up the term cause I couldn't remember it.. Cognitive Dissonance.

You can't hold two conflicting feelings and have one be true. You cannot have thought the film was stupid /silly and didn't make sense and that Ridley Scott has not directed well, and yet enjoyed it at the same time..

I looked up the name for that also, believing something you know isn't true - Delusion.

Seriously spare us the speakers corner ******** lol - your post doesn't even make sense.

No one is saying the previous two Ridley moves are great just that they are better than this.

Considering most were expecting it to be awful and it has very mixed reviews it could have been much worse - just take it for what it is, a Blumhouse style cash in.

• Haha
Reactions: Kyo
Back
Top Bottom