Alien: Romulus - Fede Alvarez (Evil Dead) to write/direct

A lot of the practical stuff looked like cgi.

Also which previous movie does the soundtrack seem like to you because it doesn’t sound like any to me?

I said it fit, it gave me Alien 1 - 2 vibes in the slower sections.

Totally disagree in regard to the practical stuff looking like CGI, you want to go back to our wee' chat about how Scott was actually the problem after your ardent and now non existent defence?

Reactions: Kyo
I saw this today - I’d give it a 6.75 out of 10… a 6.5 feels too harsh but there are quite a few niggles that make me unable to give a higher rating.

The best thing about the film is the android, Andy. This actor and character was great. I really like what they did with him.

The other characters don’t really have much going for them. The whole ‘young adult gang going an adventure’ thing is a fun enough concept to work in this alien world but the supporting cast just didn’t have much to do or say to allow you to care for them.

One of them, the ‘chav’, is absurdly annoying!!! What were they thinking with this character?! He is antagonistic beyond toleration. It’s unbelievable that the rest of them would put up with his BS.

The set-up is fine but as soon as the aliens are around it’s a bit ‘cliched / we’ve seen this before’. It’s not ‘bad’ but the general direction is just obvious.

I did think that there were a lot of dribbly alien shots plastered around, as if they got some good dribbly stock footage and just put it in all over the place to really let you know that the alien is here. This lacked a bit of restraint IMO.

Things picked up with the introduction of the ‘new baddie’ right at the end. I really liked the design of this creature - much more creepy than the thing from alien resurrection. My wife found this a bit too similar to that film though. I didn’t mind - I thought it was much more interesting than what proceeded it.

The return of ‘bishop’ (edit: Ash!) was fun, although he definitely looked a bit ‘uncanny valley’ at times.

Overall watchable but easy to nitpick and unnecessarily blighted by a particularly irritating character. Which is a shame because there is one character that’s really good. Props to that actor!

Last edited:
I saw this today - I’d give it a 6.75 out of 10… a 6.5 feels too harsh but there are quite a few niggles that make me unable to give a higher rating.

The best thing about the film is the android, Andy. This actor and character was great. I really like what they did with him.

The other characters don’t really have much going for them. The whole ‘young adult gang going an adventure’ thing is a fun enough concept to work in this alien world but the supporting cast just didn’t have much to do or say to allow you to care for them.

One of them, the ‘chav’, is absurdly annoying!!! What were they thinking with this character?! He is antagonistic beyond toleration. It’s unbelievable that the rest of them would put up with his BS.

The set-up is fine but as soon as the aliens are around it’s a bit ‘cliched / we’ve seen this before’. It’s not ‘bad’ but the general direction is just obvious.

I did think that there were a lot of dribbly alien shots plastered around, as if they got some good dribbly stock footage and just put it in all over the place to really let you know that the alien is here. This lacked a bit of restraint IMO.

Things picked up with the introduction of the ‘new baddie’ right at the end. I really liked the design of this creature - much more creepy than the thing from alien resurrection. My wife found this a bit too similar to that film though. I didn’t mind - I thought it was much more interesting than what proceeded it.

The return of ‘bishop’ was fun, although he definitely looked a bit ‘uncanny valley’ at times.

Overall watchable but easy to nitpick and necessarily blighted by a particularly irritating character. Which is a shame because there is one character that’s really good. Props to that actor!
Said actor was by far the highlight of the movie for me in respect to the cast tbh.

Ian Holms cg replacement looked a little odd, in some scenes it looked quite low quality, in others it looked 'ok', and again, in others, his face had an almost flat 2d kinda look to it. I wonder would it have been as noticeable if it was one of the other actors with a cg face replacement. More scrutiny is going to be levelled at the ones we KNOW are cg such as Holm's character.

Last edited:
I just got home from watching it I thought it was brilliant.

Alien and Aliens are master pieces of cinema for me best of the franchise by a country mile and of the franchise nothing has come close to them until now

I really enjoyed this, Andy was brilliant. The face huggers design was fab and probably best we have had them act in a movie too

Last edited:
I wasn't overly impressed. Far too many nods to the previous films and some straight copying.
I thought the main girl and the cast in general were OK, but 'Andy' (David Jonsson) was excellent.
It looked good. Very 1979 Alien (By far my favourite in the franchise). Love the clicky-squeeky computer noises :)
6/10
Rook (Ash) was very uncanny valley. Though I appreciate Ian Holm died a few years ago, so couldn't really de-age him.

Back
Top Bottom