Alien: Romulus - Fede Alvarez (Evil Dead) to write/direct

Yeah I deleted it, I got the wrong person and the wrong end of the stick, but also I was kinda right. You can't like a terrible film because it's was terrible. It's makes no sense, both those Ridley films are 3/10 at most and wanting to like them for the reason that you like them is, well delusional. They suck full stop.

Last edited:
I had to look up the term cause I couldn't remember it.. Cognitive Dissonance.

You can't hold two conflicting feelings and have one be true. You cannot have thought the film was stupid /silly and didn't make sense and that Ridley Scott has not directed well, and yet enjoyed it at the same time..

I looked up the name for that also, believing something you know isn't true - Delusion.

Are you genuinely trying to argue that you cannot enjoy something you find stupid/silly?

I don't think you're properly understanding what cognitive dissonance is.

Ah so lets talk plot..

By what logic would there be a fossilised alien hanging around the wreckage of a ship that was previously nuked? Why would the company simply abandon its research station if the research was so important? Why would essentially a bunch of slaves have access to a ship? The cryo pods were essentially plot macguffins that made no logical sense. The lack of alien queen was purely so they could link to Prometheus and Covenant - which then led to the serious misfire in the last third. It also ruins the continuity between Alien and Aliens. Where did all the full grown zenomorphs come from at the end? The whole movie was essentially to set up a reboot of the end of most of the earlier films.

Also the nods to earlier films with characters saying classic lines was awful - one of the characters literally cringed as they did it lol.

The initial full grown Alien is the one from the first movie, when did you last watch Alien 1979? Ripley escaped her ship in a shuttle after destroying the Nostromo, but the Alien actually snuck onboard and wasn't killed. She eventually gets rid of it by flushing it out of an airlock, but due to it being a "perfect organism" it covered itself in the resin we've seen in other parts of the lore and went into stasis. It was recovered by Weyland Yutani using various data and logs and then experimented on in various ways. They used its DNA to effectively 3D print a bunch of facehuggers, but the xenomorph which they assumed was dead woke up and went on a rampage across the station. Seemingly it resulted in at least some of the facehuggers being freed, or the Xenomorph itself producing them somehow during its window of freedom. The problem with this ironically is that the director is using Scotts vision specifically and largely ignoring what Cameron introduced with Aliens. They were also experimenting on other animals with the DNA which clearly went wrong multiple times.

The entire movie frequently shows the bodies of crewmembers, do you think the station was completely empty? Clearly they created a hive and impregnated most of the crew, even assuming some escaped they'd have went into stasis and might not have been recovered. I do feel that the station going unrecovered is a bit iffy given it drifted toward a Weyland Yutani mining colony, I'm assuming they either set up the kids (which is admittedly a stretch) or they're placing it down to general corporate incompetence and nonsense as was presented at the start of the movie.

Last edited:
Yeah I deleted it, I got the wrong person and the wrong end of the stick, but also I was kinda right. You can't like a terrible film because it's was terrible. It's makes no sense, both those Ridley films are 3/10 at most and wanting to like them for the reason that you like them is, well delusional. They suck full stop.

Lol of course you can like a terrible movie because it’s terrible - you must not be familiar with the world if cult films.

Whats bizarre is that Romulus is getting a pass for retreading all the stuff that Prometheus got slated for.

Reactions: Kyo
I had to look up the term cause I couldn't remember it.. Cognitive Dissonance.

You can't hold two conflicting feelings and have one be true. You cannot have thought the film was stupid /silly and didn't make sense and that Ridley Scott has not directed well, and yet enjoyed it at the same time..

I looked up the name for that also, believing something you know isn't true - Delusion.

What are you waffling about. Of course you can. Have you never enjoyed a movie you like but still thought parts was a bit silly or could have been so much better. The scene in Covenant where the lady got her crew killed and blew herself and her space shuttle up was hilarious. Also Prometheus where geologist scientist who got lost despite mapping the entire complex with his drones or the biologist who got himself killed by trying to pet a Alien. Comical in parts yet I despite it's flaws I still enjoyed it as it did have redeeming qualities and tried to expand and continue the storytelling in the Alien Universe.

Are you genuinely trying to argue that you cannot enjoy something you find stupid/silly?

I don't think you're properly understanding what cognitive dissonance is.

The initial full grown Alien is the one from the first movie, when did you last watch Alien 1979)? Ripley escaped her ship in a shuttle after destroying the Nostromo, but the Alien actually snuck onboard and wasn't killed. She eventually gets rid of it by flushing it out of an airlock, but due to it being a "perfect organism" it covered itself in the resin we've seen in other parts of the lore and went into stasis. It was recovered by Weyland Yutani using various data and logs and then experimented on in various ways. They used its DNA to effectively 3D print a bunch of facehuggers, but the xenomorph which they assumed was dead woke up and went on a rampage across the station. Seemingly it resulted in at least some of the facehuggers being freed, or the Xenomorph itself producing them somehow during its window of freedom. The problem with this ironically is that the director is using Scotts vision specifically and largely ignoring what Cameron introduced with Aliens.

The entire movie frequently shows the bodies of crewmembers, do you think the station was completely empty? Clearly they created a hive and impregnated most of the crew, even assuming some escaped they'd have went into stasis and might not have been recovered. I do feel that the station going unrecovered is a bit iffy given it drifted toward a Weyland Yutani mining colony, I'm assuming they either set up the kids (which is admittedly a stretch) or they're placing it down to general corporate incompetence and nonsense as was presented at the start of the movie.

The Nostromo was nuked yet still in convenient chunks and the original Alien was ejected away from it anyway.

Why then did the xenomorphs wait until the final act if they had free roam of the station?

Last edited:
The Nostromo was nuked yet still in convenient chunks and the original Alien was ejected away from it anyway.

Why then did the xenomorphs wait until the final act if they had free roam of the station?

The Nostromo was nuked after Ripley escaped in a shuttle, the Alien got onto the shuttle with her. The xenomorph was not blown up, it was flushed out of an airlock.

You're not remembering the movie right.

As for the final act, they did what was established since the very first movie: went into stasis because they had no further way to propagate.

The remaining crew decides to self-destruct the Nostromo and escape in the shuttle. However, Parker and Lambert are ambushed and killed by the alien while gathering supplies. Now on her own, Ripley initiates the self-destruct sequence but finds the alien blocking her path to the shuttle. She retreats, attempts unsuccessfully to abort the self-destruct, flees back to the shuttle with Jones, and narrowly escapes as the Nostromo explodes.

As Ripley prepares for stasis, she discovers that the alien is aboard, having stowed itself into a narrow compartment. She dons a spacesuit and flushes the creature out. It approaches Ripley, but before it can kill her, she opens an airlock door. The alien manages to hang on, but Ripley fires a grappling hook gun to push it out and then fires the engines, blasting it away into deep space. After recording her final log entry, she places Jones and herself into stasis for the trip back to Earth.

If you're going to argue lore points mate I'd highly suggest rewatching the first movie, you're glued to the idea the xeno was "nuked" and it wasn't.

It's hardly a perfect organism if a bit of fire can annihilate it, your problems with Romulus are that you don't like Ridley Scott's vision.

Last edited:
The Nostromo was nuked after Ripley escaped in a shuttle, the Alien got onto the shuttle with her. The xenomorph was not blown up, it was flushed out of an airlock.

You're not remembering the movie right.

As for the final act, they did what was established since the very first movie: went into stasis because they had no further way to propagate.

If you're going to argue lore points mate I'd highly suggest rewatching the first movie, you're glued to the idea the xeno was "nuked" and it wasn't.

It's hardly a perfect organism if a bit of fire can annihilate it, your problems with Romulus are that you don't like Ridley Scott's vision.

Read my post again - thats not what I said.

Also, I re-watched the final trailer, after watching the full movie. As with Deadpool & Wolverine, even though the final trailer drops a big reveal, it's nothing compared to the size of the reveals in the actual film, and doesn't take away from the sheer spectacle of the film(s). It certainly didn't stop me from going to the cinema to see both!

rp2000

Read my post again - thats not what I said.

Fair enough, but my above points stand mate.

A lot of the direction of this movie is taken from Ridley Scott's vision and ignores what Cameron did. The dodgy DNA altering parts, the "perfect organism" that's can survive in space and in harsh environments. Do you need to suspend disbelief a little? Yeah, absolutely, and I mentioned this earlier but I think they'd have been better off with a mini-series as it's almost as though they tried to cram too much in. But it's still better than anything Scott has done with the franchise since the first, from the atmosphere and effects to the music. Prometheus had potential, but it was ruined by Covenant which was just bad in almost every respect.

Last edited:
Lol of course you can like a terrible movie because it’s terrible - you must not be familiar with the world if cult films.

Whats bizarre is that Romulus is getting a pass for retreading all the stuff that Prometheus got slated for.

What are you waffling about. Of course you can. Have you never enjoyed a movie you like but still thought parts was a bit silly or could have been so much better. The scene in Covenant where the lady got her crew killed and blew herself and her space shuttle up was hilarious. Also Prometheus where geologist scientist who got lost despite mapping the entire complex with his drones or the biologist who got himself killed by trying to pet a Alien. Comical in parts yet I despite it's flaws I still enjoyed it as it did have redeeming qualities and tried to expand and continue the storytelling in the Alien Universe.

No I have never enjoyed a movie I know is crap. Otherwise they wouldn't be crap. Your strange.

I really hope they make a movie that branches into the Red Xenos and Royal Jelly storyline.

Last edited:
No I have never enjoyed a movie I know is crap. Otherwise they wouldn't be crap. Your strange.

You're being a bit black and white.

I can enjoy something that I think is silly or potentially even crap, have you never heard the term guilty pleasure? Things don't necessarily need to be masterpieces, I can observe a thing and from an objective standpoint and realise it has weak elements, but still find things about it which are enjoyable. I'm fond of the new Godzilla movies as an example, they're a couple of hours of giant monsters doing silly crap with bucketloads of CGI. Would I rate them 10/10 productions that must be eternally preserved as works of art? Absolutely not, they're silly fun.

I enjoyed Covenant and I'll plap on it all day, some of the action scenes were fun and Fassbender was brilliant in it. I'd not make a point of a second viewing, but I took what I could from it and moved on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyo
Fair enough, but my above points stand mate.

A lot of the direction of this movie is taken from Ridley Scott's vision and ignores what Cameron did. The dodgy DNA altering parts, the "perfect organism" that's can survive in space and in harsh environments. Do you need to suspend disbelief a little? Yeah, absolutely, and I mentioned this earlier but I think they'd have been better off with a mini-series as it's almost as though they tried to cram too much in. But it's still better than anything Scott has done with the franchise since the first, from the atmosphere and effects to the music. Prometheus had potential, but it was ruined by Covenant which was just bad in almost every respect.

The music, really? What was memorable about it? They even had to shoe horn in some prometheus theme which was glaring in its superiority.

The effects were generic sci fi.

You are right though its more a TV film / series in scope.

The music, really? What was memorable about it? They even had to shoe horn in some prometheus theme which was glaring in its superiority.

The effects were generic sci fi.

You are right though its more a TV film / series in scope.

The effects were partly worked on by the original Aliens team, some were awful
(such as Rook, I mentioned this earlier but they should have made an animatronic imo)
but the practical areas were fantastic, I think you're being a a tad contrarian. :p

The soundtrack and effects fit perfectly with the franchise, as mentioned earlier it seems we need to agree to disagree here.

Last edited:
The effects were partly worked on by the original Aliens team, some were awful
(such as Rook, I mentioned this earlier but they should have made an animatronic imo)
but the practical areas were fantastic, I think you're being a a tad contrarian. :p

The soundtrack and effects fit perfectly with the franchise, as mentioned earlier it seems we need to agree to disagree here.

A lot of the practical stuff looked like cgi.

Also which previous movie does the soundtrack seem like to you because it doesn’t sound like any to me?

Back
Top Bottom