Alien: Romulus - Fede Alvarez (Evil Dead) to write/direct

Soldato
Prometheus is alright, better than Resurrection. Covenant is actually quite good imo, the scene with the alien in the lander near the beginning is the first of the sequels to really capture the horror of the first film imo.

Alien3 is hugely underrated too, I prefer it to Aliens. The setting with the puny humans vs the unstoppable killing machine is just Alien to me..... Aliens is a very different sort of film, more a schlocky action movie.

Caporegime
Prometheus is alright, better than Resurrection. Covenant is actually quite good imo, the scene with the alien in the lander near the beginning is the first of the sequels to really capture the horror of the first film imo.

Alien3 is hugely underrated too, I prefer it to Aliens. The setting with the puny humans vs the unstoppable killing machine is just Alien to me..... Aliens is a very different sort of film, more a schlocky action movie.

Not a big fan of the new alien films. I dunno why they can't just rehash the best bits of the old ones. Not like fans are looking for a deep story line!

I really liked A3 extended cut.
A1, 2, 3 are all good imo. They are very different films.

Soldato
OP
Ridley Scott approves - however personally, doesn't carry a lot of weight with how Scott handled his own 'legacy' with his last two movies.

“I finished the director’s cut a week ago and had to go through the incredibly tense process of obviously sending [it] to Ridley. I wanted him to see it before anybody.

And everyone gave me the heads up that Ridley is really tough. He’s really tough, particularly if it has something to do with his movies. He was really tough on “Blade Runner,” which I thought was a masterpiece, and he had issues with it because it’s really hard for him because it’s his work.

So I was like ‘there’s no way I win this one’. Even if he didn’t ask for it, I was gonna go there and sit at a table and look at him and get it. Even if he was gonna say ‘you destroyed my legacy,’ I wanted to be in front of him and see him in the eye. I didn’t want to get an email where it says Ridley says…. I was like, ‘I wanna see him, if you’ll see me, I want to talk to him right after.’

I drove there. I see his executives, who couldn’t see it with him because he wanted to watch it on his own. Because it was ‘Alien’. It was very important to him. He didn’t want to have anybody in the room. That makes me even more terrified while I’m waiting.

Then he walks into the room and he did say ‘Fede, what can I say? It’s f—ing great’. For me, it was like…ahhh…My family knows it was one of the best moments of my life to have a master like him, whom I admired so much, to even watch a movie I made but particularly something like this…and talk to me for an hour about what he liked about it.”

Pet Northerner
Don

At least I'm not the only one who enjoyed Prometheus / Covenant. Although I hated Prometheus on first watching in the cinema, but on further rewatches I liked the way Ridley wanted to take it. I think letting the reacting to Prometheus turn covenant into this hybrid of what he was aiming for with Prometheus and them mashing an Xeno in for a fan service ruined it a little (for me).

Soldato
I liked the way Ridley wanted to take it. I think letting the reacting to Prometheus turn covenant into this hybrid of what he was aiming for with Prometheus and them mashing an Xeno in for a fan service ruined it a little (for me).
I think a lot of people would read a synopsis of Prometheus and agree that it's a good concept for building on the Alien franchise but the plot and delivery were terrible. Can we not see a film where people travel to new planets and behave like there are some dangers they don't understand or can't predict. You have seemingly intelligent people behaving remarkably stupidly, ditto for Covenant. Both films could easily have been written without their major flaws and achieved similar ends.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
At least I'm not the only one who enjoyed Prometheus / Covenant. Although I hated Prometheus on first watching in the cinema, but on further rewatches I liked the way Ridley wanted to take it. I think letting the reacting to Prometheus turn covenant into this hybrid of what he was aiming for with Prometheus and them mashing an Xeno in for a fan service ruined it a little (for me).

I still enjoyed both as well and as a fan can overlook and laugh at certain scenes. If i was a non fan and i was being hyper critical from the general audience perspective there was some really really absurd scenes which i think Ridley Scott could have done much better. Not complaining as i still enjoy most of Alien movies even the not so good ones.

Last edited:
Caporegime
1 and 2 are complete classics. 2 hit me in my prime Warhammer 40k phase of my early teens, so obviously I loved it.

3 is considered a classic, I haven't seen it for years...a return to the slow burn monster mystery.

4.resurectuon A kind of return to 2 but in a much more stupid comic way. Still some great scenes but very 90s

5 Prometheus. Aesthetically beautiful. Potential story with the engineers and religious connotations brilliant.
Execution and editing out chunks... Wrecked the film. Comical in some scenes. Great in others.

6 covenant.
Except for the David parts I don't even care. I think everyone had had enough by the end of this. The tropes were worn out. There can only be so many morons in space. Again some classic ideas and evolution of the Alien xenomorphs story but padded out in 100s of minutes of pap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyo
Soldato
I love the Alien movies but the ones I have watched the least would have to be Covenant(I think i have only watched once) followed by Prometheus. They had Xenomorphs(Sort of with Prometheus) in them but didn't give the feeling of a Alien movie. Its a real pity that the Neill Blomkamp movie got stonewalled as that sounded like a great return to the Aliens franchise and I could definitely see his gritty aesthetic with the Colonial Marines in an Alien movie.

Soldato
1 great horror film
2 great action film
3 great grimy grim dark film
4 terrible film, Sig is good but that's all
Prometheus - I really like it not sure why
Covenant, the weird cut scene they released before the film came out with Elizabeth and David is great, the film is completely forgettable

Soldato
OP
Its a real pity that the Neill Blomkamp movie got stonewalled as that sounded like a great return to the Aliens franchise and I could definitely see his gritty aesthetic with the Colonial Marines in an Alien movie.
We touched on it early in this thread last year and having seen a bit more since then that Blomkamp is involved with, I still think he's someone best kept away from writing an Alien movie, he's an utterly fantastic visual director, he just can't write well imo. His vision for the new Alien movie would have looked amazing but the story was weak sadly.

Associate
Genuinely love them all and I will go to my grave defending Resurrection.

It's my favorite franchise by a country mile. I love the 'crap' entries just as much as the good ones and it's one of those series that has an incredible amount of mileage because the central premise is so simple. The issue is that everyone has these grandiose ideas on what it 'should' be, Scott included. His endless philosophizing in his own later two entries are what make them so unappealing because it comes across as hackneyed and inappropriate.

I see the Xeno principally as a Michael Myers character in that everything of intrigue happens around them. They have no real character to speak of. They're forces of nature. Its the human interplay and situational circumstance surrounding them which allow for some really great stories to be told. All four of the original movies understood that, regardless of what people may think of them and I really hope we see more of that in the future. Come up with an interesting scenario and some interesting characters then throw the Xeno in and see what comes out the other end. It really shouldn't be as complicated as Scott has made it out to be.

For the flak Alien 3 gets for killing off Hicks and Newt, it's totally in keeping with the bleak nature of that universe, the good guys don't always get to win and survive, it's a stark reminder of that fact.

Precisely. Never understood what the issue was with that decision. Aswell as Hicks being boring and Newt being irritating, keeping them alive would have done a great disservice to the type of story 3 was trying to tell. Ripley is literally in hell for that entire movie. That's the point... Being annoyed that they died off screen I can sort of understand, but thematically it makes sense.

Last edited:
Soldato
It will be very tough to ever make another superb Alien movie in my opinion.

I think they should just do a remake of the original and concentrate on making it a true horror.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There have been so many bad films now it could really do with a reboot if they want to continue it. I'm not saying I want a remake of Alien but making a new film that has to fit in with the complete mess of the recent films is a heavy weight around the neck from the start.

Back
Top Bottom